running with cellophane

Options

Replies

• Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do, don't run with scissors. .

Wait, what? Who made that rule?

1209502-Copy.jpg
  • tfancey
    tfancey Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't think that cellophane is heavy enough to have any effect on your workout. Maybe you could try running with a bowling ball or a boat anchor.

HAHAHAHAHA
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I think the crinkling sound would be very distracting as well.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked first instead of doing it. LOL

Don't worry about getting skinny quick, it takes discipline and patience and TIME. Stay with us (MFP'ers) and don't wrap yourself in plastic for goodness sake. I've heard somewhere that it's full of bad chemicals anyways!

cheers
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    LMAO what?! Is this actually something people do? Why not just run wearing a girdle...is it to help contain the jiggles so to speak?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Hey im just woundering if anyone has ever done this and did it really help woth weight loss?

It may help with water loss, but i am guessing that you are looking for long term fat loss, correct?
  • houstonian
    houstonian Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Nobody here has even thought that it could help slightly by raising your body temp? Yes, you'll lose water weight of course, but I believe you'll also be able to burn more calories (probably not a whole lot) just by raising the body temp, and the energy your body uses to keep cool. This is also why I wear a light sweatshirt even when it's a little warm out.

Just think about it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I workout often with a sauna suit, I know, I know, your only sweating out water your going to replace. I consume 8 to 12 8 oz. glasses a day. I feel better with my pours opening up and sweating. I feel it cleaning my "outer garment, my skin". I always feel better after a workout, wearing my sauna suit.

So if you want to wrap yourself in cellophane and work up a good sweat, go for it, please remember though, to replenish the water depletion.

Best to ya.

I don't need cellophane, I sweat enough on my own :laugh:

OMG... me too. I'd keel over from a heat stroke if I kept all that bottled up.

I saw a dude running in a sauna suit last summer when it was 95 degrees. I was tempted to dial 9-1- then follow him and wait to hit the last 1.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    This is like those ole 70's sweat suits. All it does is catch the sweat.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Nobody here has even thought that it could help slightly by raising your body temp? Yes, you'll lose water weight of course, but I believe you'll also be able to burn more calories (probably not a whole lot) just by raising the body temp, and the energy your body uses to keep cool. This is also why I wear a light sweatshirt even when it's a little warm out.

Just think about it.

There was actually quite a heated (no pun intended on this) topic on that idea before. I am too lazy to find it but there was some good posts. I believe the conclusion was the possible additional calories burned would be so minimal, it really wouldn't have much of an effect. I'll take avoiding dehydration over minimal extra calories burned. I've done dehydration, not fun.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont consider it running more like skippining in slow motion
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Just think about it.

The increase in temperature would be inconsequential, as would any additional calorie burn. Wrapping oneself in cellophane to burn 4 more calories during a workout is ridiculous.

In fact, I doubt that it would help at all, but rather, possibly negatively impact your performance, making your workout LESS effective. When people feel overheated, they tend to slow down.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've been wrapped in cellophane. I'm into all sorts of things.

Oh wait for weight loss? No. That's just weird.
  • houstonian
    houstonian Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I believe the conclusion was the possible additional calories burned would be so minimal, it really wouldn't have much of an effect. I'll take avoiding dehydration over minimal extra calories burned. I've done dehydration, not fun.
    Every little bit helps.

That being said, I'd much rather choose a sweatshirt over cellophane. :glasses:
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It only makes you sweat more, which will help for SHORT TERM weight loss... like if you need to meet a weigh-in goal.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I believe the conclusion was the possible additional calories burned would be so minimal, it really wouldn't have much of an effect. I'll take avoiding dehydration over minimal extra calories burned. I've done dehydration, not fun.
    Every little bit helps.

Yup, although someone above suggested a number of 4 extra calories, even if we upped it to 10, that would only be 350 uncomfortable runs to burn off an extra pound.
    Or I could run up and down the porch steps a couple of times prior to going and be much more comfortable during my run.

(that is ignoring the other point that they made about not working as hard due to overheating)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

ive got the crisco
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hey im just woundering if anyone has ever done this and did it really help woth weight loss?

Hell, that would make me overheat for sure.

:noway:

(overHEAT I said, not overeat) :laugh:
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

I thought my ex was the only one who like when I wrapped.......I think I've said to much.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure if I ran with to over my face it would hinder my breathing.

^This made my co-worker look over at me and start laughing at the fact that I was giggling so hard