What is your food weakness and what do you do to combat it?

ChicWeed
ChicWeed Posts: 6
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
Hey all, what do you struggle with when it comes to food, and how do you conquer that struggle? Substitution? Will power? Diet ninjas? :huh:

During the weekdays my struggle is resisting the temptation of popping down to the coffee shop and getting a medium non-fat with whip (sometimes without when I'm feeling extra willful) mocha. I work in downtown Seattle, so the temptation is always there the second I walk out the door!

I've been leaving my purse inside when I go out for walks, and everytime I think about it, I'm filling up my glass of water. Extra water is good, but the urge is still there.

What about you all? What's your craving and how do you resist?

Replies

• Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    when I want something I eat it. but only a bite or two.
  • CarmenSantiago
    CarmenSantiago Posts: 681 Member
    I crave sweets A LOT. That is my weakness. I will allow enough calories everyday to have some sort of sweet such as Skinny Cow ice cream or WW dessert. I don't keep a lot of sweets around so I'm not tempted to go overboard. Usually if I allow myself a daily treat then I have the willpower to forgo anything else.
  • Simplicity
    Simplicity Posts: 383 Member
    anything greasy and bad. chips battered sausages mac donalds. all of them i want but never do they satisfy me. i haven't really learnt a combat technique but since i live next door (literally) to a macdonalds i think i do well to have only visited twice this year (i think):tongue:
  • onfleur
    onfleur Posts: 159 Member
    Carbs have always, always been my weakness. I love breads, rice, crackers, chips, potato's etc. I still struggle with them today but find that if I don't buy the little extras like chips, crackers, etc then I do better. I buy a healthy grain bread or pita, long grain brown rice and just do my best to stay within proper portion control etc. Do I mess up sometimes? Absolutely I do but there is always a new dawn and a clean slate with each new day, right? Water, lots and lots of water like you and yes, even prayer when I need it.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    My weakness my whole life has been baked goods, especially cookies!!! MMMMMM

I let a cookie sit out and get almost all the way stale, then ate it. The experience tasted not so good, then I logged it in my food diary. Seeing the calories and remembering the bad taste helps me think about it every time I think about having a cookie.

Sounds dumb, but it works for me...
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Resistance is futile.:laugh: I wait. If I really want it after a while, I work it in.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    I can (and have) make a whole pot of jasmine rice, soak it in butter, than eat on it for the entire day! You'd think the next day, I'd be sick of rice, but nope. The next day, another pot of rice. (I'm getting hungry now. lol)
    I just look at the amount of rice I can eat, versus a potato. There is more potato, less calories, and more vitamens in a potato.

As far as coffee goes, make your own its only 2 or 3 calories from grounds. International Delight makes AWSOME creamers that are only 45 cals for 2 tbls. You can either use Splenda or just let the creamer keep it sweet! I can't imagine living in a coffee capital and not being able to drink one whenever you feel like it.
  • cpafford79
    cpafford79 Posts: 88
    Ice cream, Ice cream, and more Ice cream:heart::heart: !!! My parents (who both happen to be overweight) used to eat a bowl of ice cream every night after dinner. Needless to say, since I was an only child, I too got to enjoy a bowl EVERY night! Now, I find that temptation and ritual hard to ignore. :sad: I'm not so sure that I am successfully ignoring it, but I do allow it into my calories on occassion. Plus, I discovered that Blue Bunny makes a really yummy sugar free ice cream (lots of flavors to choose from) and it's only 90 calories for 1/2 cup. If I do eat ice cream, I make sure it's sugar free and I measure to make sure that I don't go overboard!
  • kvcarden
    kvcarden Posts: 175
    My weakness is cheesecake & chocolate cake! To satisfy my craving I buy one slice from Captain D's verses the usual king size slice I would buy at a sit down restaurant and that usually satisfies the craving. I have learned if deprive myself I end up eating way more calories....so I compromise by eating a smaller portion.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Chocolate and potato chips!

I use a couple things- it depends on how bad I'm jonesing! I give myself a Relaxed Day once a week and I let myself have a treat then. It's still all about portion control. Reading the labels and entering it on MFP helps tons- then I can't ignore what I'm putting in my body.

My favorite chip has as many calories as my favorite Dagwood homemade sandwich and as much sodium as four tablespoons of salt! :noway:

On bad PMS days? Oh, I just eat it. Not more than one serving and I work out to make up for it.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Flaming hot cheetos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! haha, I just don't have them around, and if I get an unbearable craving I buy a small individual size bag and eat it.
  • magglett
    magglett Posts: 2,000
    Without a doubt ... PIZZA!!!! :devil: I can't resist it so I just totally avoid it ... I just don't have it in my house ... out of site, out of mind. If ever it gets to calling me to eat it I get on this site ... send out a cry for help ... enter it on my food diary ... and then decide if it's worth it or not.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Without a doubt ... PIZZA!!!! :devil: I can't resist it so I just totally avoid it ... I just don't have it in my house ... out of site, out of mind. If ever it gets to calling me to eat it I get on this site ... send out a cry for help ... enter it on my food diary ... and then decide if it's worth it or not.

How could I forget PIZZA?! :love: I eat it about once a week! I loooove it so much that I plan that day to order pizza so I have calories at the ready. Domino's thin crust with light cheese, light sauce(oil and salt) with GP, O and ham is great! To lower the sodium even more get rid of the ham and put your own on at home. Deeelish!

Portions are the hardest part with pizza. Two little slices. *sigh* I get a small and eat two slices, then put the rest in the fridge and try to forget about it. lol It drives hubbs crazy, I'm sure, to see week old pizza in the fridge!
  • My weakness in general is that I feel if I don't have food around me, I'm going to die. I feel if I eat just a salad for lunch I'll starve to dead. I have a phobia of starving to death... not sure why, but it's pretty weird I'd say.
    Therefore, I am always eating to avoid "starvation"

And i LOVE Chocolate
  • ildi007
    ildi007 Posts: 107
    Reese's peanut butter cups.

What does RESIST means????:laugh:
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    red wine...I alot myself at leat 3-4 glasses weekly and I always make sure I have the calories for it, if not then I either have to earn it or go without.
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Pizza and beer or Pizza and red wine. We eat at our favorite local place once a week and it is hard to say no to going. Especially when the whole family wants to go. And then it is hard to resist ordering the beer or wine with it. I just try to limit my pieces of pizza and drink only one glass. Thankfully, my husband likes light beer! If only he wouldn't order a whole pitcher!
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126

Me too! And Reese's ice cream w/ peanut butter sauce and chocolate on it :heart: :love: :heart: :love:
  • lisam829
    lisam829 Posts: 110 Member
    chinese food. i can't even go to the shopping plaza that the place is in.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member

Me too! And Reese's ice cream w/ peanut butter sauce and chocolate on it :heart: :love: :heart: :love:

you know what is really good, you microwave a 1/2 cup of peanut butter, and pour it all over your ice cream....i guess you can always do it with skinny cow ice cream if you are short on cals! :tongue:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member

you know what is really good, you microwave a 1/2 cup of peanut butter, and pour it all over your ice cream....i guess you can always do it with skinny cow ice cream if you are short on cals! :tongue:
  • NinaDawn79
    NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
    Generally speaking, exercise pretty much kills the worst of my cravings; invariably I get in trouble when something interferes with my workouts.

That friend TOM also wreaks havoc, so I know my cravings are hormonal. Most times I find I'm better off to just go with it and get back on the horse.

Oh, and "it" tends to be chocolate for the most part (I can eat a full size Cadbury Dairy Chocolate bar before I've left the parking lot of Walgreens and not feel ill in the slightest).

I've never been a regular wine drinker, but after reading an article that "claims" that studies show those who enjoy ONE glass of wine every day have smaller waists than those who abstain, I started working in one glass of (cheap, I have no taste for good wine) red wine every night, and I'm loving it. This is my first week and I'm down 1.2 lbs, so I say :drinker: :wink:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Chocolate. Need I say more?

I always have extra dark chocolate in my office so when I get the urge I can have a couple of pieces worth120 calories. That's only 20 minutes very brisk walking, definitely worth it.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    I have a Starbucks coffee mug that I bought in Seattle. :drinker: To be a coffee lover in Seattle would be very difficult! I love food and I have a weakness for any baked goods and sweets, salty snacks, icecream.....I could go on and on.....How do I resist? Everyday is a battle for me and I make myself choose something healthy.
  • kroger7
    kroger7 Posts: 124 Member

What does RESIST means????:laugh:

Me too! But I found the 100 calorie wafer bars *almost* satisfy the craving. enough that I can battle it anyway haha.

any other sweets, ice cream, pizza, pasta....but I just practice portion control, and have a little of whatever I'm craving. Usually does the trick and I'll throw in some extra workouts if I'm still feeling guilty :blushing:
  • CarmenSantiago
    anything greasy and bad. chips battered sausages mac donalds. all of them i want but never do they satisfy me. i haven't really learnt a combat technique but since i live next door (literally) to a macdonalds i think i do well to have only visited twice this year (i think):tongue:

Congrats on the weight loss, and DOUBLE congrats on the "no smoking". Great job! I know how hard it is to quit as I've been there, done that. Keep up the good work!
  • CarmenSantiago
    Chocolate. Need I say more?

I always have extra dark chocolate in my office so when I get the urge I can have a couple of pieces worth120 calories. That's only 20 minutes very brisk walking, definitely worth it.

HIJACK! OMG I love your pic! MS Piggy ROCKS!! :bigsmile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Sweets. Definitely. I love sweets in abundance! A whole cake, a whole pie...wouldn't last a day in my house a month ago. Now it's just not IN my house- ever. If I get a sweet craving now, I have something- a lower fat/calorie chocolate bar, frozen yogurt with a banana...If I feel I need it, I'll work it into my calories or do a little extra cardio. :smile:

My other weakness would be pizza. Smaller portions is the only way I can deal with that, because I don't think I'm ever going to give pizza up. I really wouldn't want to. lol I don't really want to give anything up.

Everything in moderation. :smile:
  • christine918
    christine918 Posts: 261
    Ice cream cones from either McDonalds or Dairy Queen! If I pass either place in the summer, some higher being steers my car in to their drive thru... It's horrible!
    I have not been doing a very good job at combating it lately.:tongue:

146230.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Lays Hot Chips

Hershey's nuggets with almonds, Hershey's kisses with almonds, Turtles

I just can't keep them in the house at all or I eat them up!
This discussion has been closed.