how big a gain does sodium show you?

Options
hey guys just a subject i don't know much about.......i fell off the wagon about 10 days ago been back on it since 3 days! i generally ate alot of crap! everything and anything! i logged all the calories and the the calories added up to maybe a 1lb and a half gain! the scales are showing 12lbs! is this a weight gain from sodium? will it take long to go plz help! i've lost 59lbs and with dedication i just cant believe that i did what i did and now i feel really unhealthy i keep seeing fat in the mirror! everyone else isn't noticing this 12lb gain so whats happening?:frown:

Replies

• Meridathehealthy
    Options
    It could be sodium, especially if you haven't been drinking enough water! Just as salt is used to dry meats, excess sodium will dry out your body, cause bloating and make your body retain water! I used to never drink much water, and I'd eat sodium filled things, and I'd feel bloated and my scale kept saying I was gaining! Then, I began drinking half my weight in water, and I lost 5 lbs within 3 days! :o I was floored. I cut back on sodium, as well, when I can(I myself went over mine today). It will help loads! :) I'm serious though, it's probably water weight! :) Don't stress too much and don't give up on yourself. :) You CAN do this, and you WILL! :)
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate 42,000 calories OVER your calorie target for maintenance - what you're seeing is mostly water weight.

Try not to stress, and drink lots of water. Perhaps add a wedge of lemon to help move things along.
  • jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    on days when I spike the sodium, it seems like it takes me a week to get it out of my system, even if I don't go over too much on my calories. I drink a ton of water, too. I wouldn't get discouraged, tomorrow is another day. I would just get back to what you were doing to lose the weight and give it a couple weeks before getting on the scale.
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    I have seen gain 4-6 lbs in a day because of sodium. When I am aware I had too much sodium I drink lots of water right away. So that would be sodium and water weight all together. it will go away don't stress too much.
  • april1lowe
    april1lowe Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    hey guys just a subject i don't know much about.......i fell off the wagon about 10 days ago been back on it since 3 days! i generally ate alot of crap! everything and anything! i logged all the calories and the the calories added up to maybe a 1lb and a half gain! the scales are showing 12lbs! is this a weight gain from sodium? will it take long to go plz help! i've lost 59lbs and with dedication i just cant believe that i did what i did and now i feel really unhealthy i keep seeing fat in the mirror! everyone else isn't noticing this 12lb gain so whats happening?:frown:

Sodium and I are not friends, AT ALL. If I eat ONE bad meal, just one, my weight is sky high for about 4-5 days. So if you fell off the wagon for 10 full days, it could def be sodium. Just chug the water to help get it out of there. It'll come back off if it is sodium.

I will also say though, I took a mini vaca last summer (a long weekend) and ate whatever, whenever and came back with a 5 lb gain. It was a legit gain bc it took about 2 weeks to get back off. So it could be partly gain, partly sodium. Not trying to discourage you, just saying, falling off the wagon for days at a time really screws with my weight.
  • marlabelle
    marlabelle Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right. In my experience sodium is a water hording beeyotch. I've lost as much as 9lbs in 2 days just by getting sodium under control and drinking lots of water. Try not to worry too much about it, the scale should be back to normal in 3 -4 days. :)
  • candicemaechling
    candicemaechling Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My body goes crazy last week I was up 14 from what I weighed in today because I had about a week of overeat but I've got refocused and on my water and its starting to get back to normal and hopefully next week ill see a loss good luck to u maybe we should share the seat glue to stay on this crazy wagon! :)
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I gained 2 pounds this past week but yet I was with in cals but had some chinese couple days ago and did not have much water I felt so mad but I am downing water and hoping for the best.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    some days if I'm super bloated I will wake up and have no abs if I drink enough water my abs will be back by noon. sodium and in some people carbs will cause a terrible amount of bloat.

on average a gallon of water is about 8 pounds so it doesn't take much water retention to see it on your body as well as the scale.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Sodium kills me. Where I should gain ounces, I gain pounds (on top of pounds). I think there's also something about carbs being stored in water or something and leading to weight gain. It's not fat and it shouldn't be hard to get rid of.