Do you subtract calories from your burn?

Options
I've had a few people tell me they subtract what they would be burning anyway out of their workout burn. For example. I burn 600 calories in a spin class. They would put down 500. Anyone? Anyone? Shed some light! :happy:

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    hmm...never, ever thought of that! Looking forward to seeing what other people say! Hopefully someone can shed light on this question though. Let's just say your body burns 100 calories an hour at rest. So if I walk slowly for an hour and burn like 150 calories, did I really only technically burn 50 calories for that hour of activity?
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    PERSONALLY -

If I'm using MFP estimates, I only use 3/4 of the calories / time they say I've burned. I find that MFP estimates are SUPER high. ( The gym machine with HRM says I burn 500 calories on the elliptical... MFP says I burn almost 1000 ).

I do log ALL of the calories that the gym machine uses. If this stops working for me, I'll grab a HRM and use that.

If I over analyze everything, i will get so discouraged that I will quit.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    In theory, that would be the correct thing to do. In reality, I don't worry about it. There is enough inaccuracy and estimation in the entire process that I don't worry about that. You can drive yourself nuts. For example, what about the fact that after the class your heart rate is still higher and you are still burning calories at a higher rate than normal?

If you did a very light workout over a long period of time, that might make a difference, but for an hour class, not worth it.

Just my opinion of course. I record the calories off the gym machine, and it's been working fine.
  • annatin1018
    Options
    They are SUPER high, I agree.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    yes...I subtract my normal burn as they have already been accounted for...no need to count them twice...it is also safer if you are going to be eating all your exercise calories
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have added I used a chest strap/ HRM
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have added I used a chest strap/ HRM

me too
  • agleckle
    agleckle Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I don't, because over the course of the next few hours when my metabolism is elevated and I am burning more calories than I normally would by just existing, I never track those... so I figure by not subtracting my "existing" calories from my burn and not counting the extra calories from my after burn, it all evens out in the end...

Edit: Yes, I know that is not very scientific, but it has been working so far...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I don't, because over the course of the next few hours when my metabolism is elevated and I am burning more calories than I normally would by just existing, I never track those... so I figure by not subtracting my "existing" calories from my burn and not counting the extra calories from my after burn, it all evens out in the end...
    This exactly.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I do this when I use the MFP estimates because for me they estimate high. Everyone is probably different. For example, when I do Body Pump with my HRM, I burn between 200-300 calories. I've seen calorie burns between 400-800 calories. They are probably lift heavier or moving quicker than I am.

To each his own.
  • fittraier
    Options
    I do this when I use the MFP estimates because for me they estimate high. Everyone is probably different. For example, when I do Body Pump with my HRM, I burn between 200-300 calories. I've seen calorie burns between 400-800 calories. They are probably lift heavier or moving quicker than I am.

To each his own.
    [/quote

I totally burn 400 cal in pump class (i lift heavy) and on release 80 i was closer to 500....]
  • graysmom2005
    Options

To each his own.
    [/quote

I totally burn 400 cal in pump class (i lift heavy) and on release 80 i was closer to 500....]
    YES! When I teach 80 I'm around 500. LOVE that release. I'm usually around 400-450 because I'm lifting "role model weight" and I'm talking. LOL!
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    This exactly.
    I LOVE this! I sometimes look down 15 minutes after class and I will have burned 100 calories more. I like that thinking. ;-)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I can understand why someone would deduct those calories... I just never bothered and it had no impact on my progress or maintenance.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I can understand why someone would deduct those calories... I just never bothered and it had no impact on my progress or maintenance.

I agree. I also log what ever MFP or the equipment at the gym gives me, and I just don't eat all of my exercise calories most of the time. No impact what so ever on my weight loss or maintenance. But we are all different and we should do what works for us, and not for somebody else.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Yes. I use a HRM and I always subtract the calories I would have burned anyway. I'm on maintenance now, but when I was still losing, I found this necessary to progress with my weight loss. I typically eat back all but 10-50 of my exercise calories.
  • Alsha1999
    Alsha1999 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I put exactly what my heart rate monitor says which is about half of MFP. And to all of you talking about EPOC Wahoo to EXCESS POST OXYGEN CONSUMPTION... IT rocks! Great time to do some errands will your body does it's thing! :D
  • tinattinat
    tinattinat Posts: 56 Member
    Options

To each his own.
    [/quote

YES! When I teach 80 I'm around 500. LOVE that release. I'm usually around 400-450 because I'm lifting "role model weight" and I'm talking. LOL!

How do ya'll log your Pump class into MFP? Under Strength training? That's what I have been doing for Group Power.
  • Parks0613
    Parks0613 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you want the most accurate count of Kcalories bruned you need to get a Heart rate monitor with a chest strap that you can personalise with your height weight and age. The Machines as the gym do not accuratly monitor your heart rate as every person is a different height, weight, age and have different Cardiovascular Endurance. I know I put my burn Kcals in but I don't make them up. MFP always tells me I'm under my Kcalorie intake!