Toes going numb on Bike?

Options
When I use the stationary bike, my toes seem to go number after about 20 mins. No amount of wiggling will wake them until I stop the bike and stand up. Has anyone else experienced this????????????

Replies

• alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It happens to me sometimes too. It can be a combination of thins: your laces are too tight, the pedal strap is too tight, or you're pointing your toes.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Yep. It happens when I get on the elliptical or sometimes when I run.

Change your stride or put your weight in your heels.
  • LCBinGA
    LCBinGA Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    so glad you asked that and we all got real answers....i just thought it was because i'm so exercizingly challenged :laugh:
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    it's normal, you are putting a lot of pressure on the same part of your foot for an extended time. If the bike you are using can accommodate cleats and you want to invest a little, real cycling shoes would make a real difference because the soles are solid and you get the benefit of really being able to maximize your movements because you can pull and push
  • ksavvy
    ksavvy Posts: 52
    Options
    I agree with alexpapa. I have that problem, too, when I don't wear cycling shoes. First of all, they provide the stability necessary for a push/pull action, which alleviates pressure on the ball of the foot in the 'upward' phase of the pedal stroke. Secondly, they provide a stable, inflexible platform for the foot, with helps to evenly distribute pressure. They also keep the foot properly aligned over the pedal axle, where as most people push their feet too far forward in the baskets when wearing regular shoes. I picked mine up on sale for $50, Pearl Izumi brand. Lastly, ask an instructor to review your bike set up. Tiny adjustments can make a huge difference.

Good luck! Cycling really is an awesome exercise with so many benefits!
  • sansouchi1050
    Options
    I had the same problem when I was an the elliptical. I changed shoes to one with a more flexible sole. With the new shoes and looser laces, the problem has resolved.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!!! :smile: I will try some of them out. Can't afford new shoes at the moment :sad: but I'll definitely watch what I'm doing with my toes and my laces.:flowerforyou:
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!!! :smile: I will try some of them out. Can't afford new shoes at the moment :sad: but I'll definitely watch what I'm doing with my toes and my laces.:flowerforyou:

try second hand sports shops, I picked up a pair of $150 cycling shoes for $20 - a lot of people give up expensive sports soon after starting :)