Anyone else not eating their exercise calories

Options

Replies

• _Shelley_
    Options
    I wasn't eating back any of mine and recently started. Why? Because without them I was only netting about 600-700 calories a day which wasn't feeding my body properly. Granted I only eat back a portion of what I exercise off but not netting at least 1200cals is unhealthy and puts your body into starvation mode. I will let you know how this works out in a few weeks but right now, I haven't noticed any gains at all.
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree. So ppl have success eating back calories, but I didn't. I lost inches, clothes fit better, but didn't lose any weight. I now either don't eat back my exercise calories or just eat back some of them and I can still lose.
  • oliviaseward
    oliviaseward Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i try really hard to not eat those calories back.... imo you should be burning as much as you are eating off... of course i never get there but i dont eat back the 300-500 cals i worked of dont see the logic in that.
  • kamoira23
    Options
    I used to NEVER eat back my exercise calories. I would burn between 700-1000 calories a day and maybe eat back 100-200 of them. My net calories would be between 300 and 700 calories. And then I just stopped losing weight and was exhausted ALL THE TIME. My body literally couldn't function. So, now I try to net at least 1000-1200 a day, which means I eat back most of my exercise calories when I exercise.

I say whatever works, do it. Not eating them back worked for me for a while (50lbs), but I had to adapt as my body adapted. Good luck!
  • j_twirl
    j_twirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i dont holla!!!!! 20lbs in 5 weeks.....it obviously worked!!! :D
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I agree. So ppl have success eating back calories, but I didn't. I lost inches, clothes fit better, but didn't lose any weight. I now either don't eat back my exercise calories or just eat back some of them and I can still lose.

So your scale weight is more important than being healthy and fit? You said you were losing inches and clothes fit better.

Who cares what the scale says, you're becoming more fit and losing body fat% and that's what it's all about.

People put WAY TOO MUCH stock in the scale number.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I eat the amount that grants weight loss, usually averaged across the week.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    When I started eating them back, I started losing. If I'm hungry, I eat, but if I have a lot left over and I'm not hungry, I won't eat.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I try not to go into those. I do eat some of them but I try not to.
  • ldalal
    ldalal Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    The key to figuring how much to eat is not just your exercise calories but also knowing your BMR, so eating your exercise calories is not necessarily counterproductive but I definitely would not eat more than 50% of them, but if you're hungry, eat just be reasonable. I a portion of my exercise calories back and I've lost 25lbs since early december, I also use a "fitbit" so I have a more accurate count of my daily calories burned and my activity level, not just exercise.
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm making sure I eat around 1200 calories a day. I exercise. Then if I'm really hungry I'll have something to eat. It's working for me.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Yes and No depends on if I am hungry or not I try to limt myself before going to bed. Some say you should others say you shouldn't. I do what I feel is right for my body
  • j_twirl
    j_twirl Posts: 33 Member
    Options

So your scale weight is more important than being healthy and fit? You said you were losing inches and clothes fit better.

Who cares what the scale says, you're becoming more fit and losing body fat% and that's what it's all about.

Everyone's different, not eating them has worked for me. I have had success in both inches and on the scale. If people find motivation in the scale, its better than no motivation!
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    A couple of days a week maybe, but not often.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Everyone acts like it is a static number. Mix it up.

Find out what works for you. I have broken all my plateaus by boosting my calories for a couple of weeks, then I bring it back down. I am down 117 pounds so far and still going.

Your body will adapt to anything. Keep it guessing.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I exercise to look good, feel good and to cause a deficit, not so that I can eat more!
    I eat MAYBE 50-100 cal more on exercise days. And normally that really isn't too much over my regular allocated calories anyways
  • eashelton53
    eashelton53 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have been eating my calories back. I think I will stop logging exercise until I'm ready for bed so that I have no choice but to stay under. If I start seeing calories in the red like I see my sodium in the red then I will change my habbits.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,224 Member
    Options
    I have a personal trainer and because I'm always reading about people eating their excersice calories back I asked her about that and she told me if I wanted to maintain my weight then to eat the calories but if I'm trying to lose (which I am) then not to eat them. I don't eat them and I usually lose 1 pound a week. I've recently cut out potatoes, bread and pasta and I've actually lost 4 pounds in 5 days. I've been eating brown rice, gluten free pasta and just last night I baked a loaf of gluten free bread, I find it hard to have choices in meals by cutting out the bread or pasta so I decided to eat gluten free.

Also I understand that if you are trying to build muscle then you would eat back your excersice calories. With my personal trainer I have been building muscle, toning and losing.....1 pound at a time mind you, but they say it's better for it to come off slowly. So I have finally gotten my mind to focus on the overall weight that I've lost (which I am a 1/2 pound away from my half way point) rather than a substantial amount in a short peroid of time. Now that I'm almost half way there I'm excited to lose the second half and reach my goal.

Did you explain to your trainer that your calorie allotment does not include any exercise activity in its calculation. Thus it would have you losing weight without exercising at all? If you are obese, this is not a big deal, if not, you may run into problems. I used to think this way, no longer. I eat my exercise calories most days and lose consistently.

The other option is set your calories including your expected extra calories, then take off the amount you need to lose your 1 pound or so a week and eat that every day, which is what I think the OP is saying he does, 2000 calories no matter what exercise he does. The multipliers are:
    To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

Using this will give you a good estimate of your maintenance calories (BMR can be calculated here on the site) Basically if you exercise daily, or even 3-4 times a week, you would never be considered sedentary, you would be at the very least lightly active, but most here would be moderately active. Then you subtract some calories from that for your deficit maybe 15-20% and don't eat exercise calories, but shoot for that amount daily. For me that would put me about 2173 which is about what I eat once exercise is factored in.

The final option is set your calories on maintenance and exercise yourself into a deficit. That actually is supposed to be the best way to lose weight, although when I read that the people saying it don't cite studies, they simply state it as fact which make me suspicious.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Everyone's different, not eating them has worked for me. I have had success in both inches and on the scale. If people find motivation in the scale, its better than no motivation!

You're exactly right, but we're not talking about you. I'm speaking to her directly, who was seeing gains in her body composition in measurable, tangible ways, but opted to deprive her body of nutrients it was using properly to get those gains just to see the scale drop. Sure doesn't seem like the most healthy choice IMO.

That's all it is though it my opinion. Do what you feel is right for yourself.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I never eat back my calories I burn
    I find I flat-line with no weight loss or I gain weight
    as a guy min you should be eating is 1800 a day
    you might wanna open your diary so we can see what your eating
    I done a full write up on weight loss plateau's I did here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/387166-questions-about-weight-loss-plateau-s-why-do-they-happen-w