Does getting more sleep make a difference to weight loss?

Options
I know that when I'm chronically sleep deprived, I crave more carbs and I get hungrier, so staying under my calorie goal is harder. But assuming that I AM staying under my calorie goal even though I'm sleep deprived, is there any scientific evidence that people who sleep more lose weight more easily?

Replies

• hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Huh. It turns out it does. Should have Googled before I posted the question. G'night all.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    Hey, it saved me the trouble of googling it. Good to know! :flowerforyou:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    LOL!

It absolutely makes a huge difference in the numbers! Get a good night's rest!
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I sleep 4-5 hours a day during the work week, 8/9 hours a night on weekends. I'm doing very well with the weight loss.
  • sammanchester
    sammanchester Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Definitely. 3 reasons: one to do with your hormones; second is to do with craving sugar when you're tired and making bad choices; third is being too tired to work out/be active. I started using eye mask/ear plugs - has made a massive difference! :) I'm sure I watched a Dr Oz that said it can make up to 14lbs in a year diffrence based on the hormonal element alone x
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I am reading "The Perfect 10 Diet" which addresses how our food and behaviour affect our hormones. While sleeping our bodies replenish several important hormones that help control our weight and and metabolism.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    whenever i sleep 9-12hrs i seem to lose more weight
  • iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I am reading "The Perfect 10 Diet" which addresses how our food and behaviour affect our hormones. While sleeping our bodies replenish several important hormones that help control our weight and and metabolism.

This is what I was going to say. I have sleep apnea so with all the research I've done I'm a huge advocate of getting enough GOOD sleep. Your body does a lot of catching up when you sleep including those that issyfit mentioned
  • MezzC
    MezzC Posts: 4
    Options
    When ou get less than 5 or 6 hours of sleep, you become as insulin resistant as a diabetic, as far as your hormones go studies show. In other words, all the good work you've done that day eating-wise was a waste of time. Sleep is vitally important for fat loss. You have to tell yourself as you sit up late chatting to friends or surfing the Net or watching TV that this chat/surf/viewing is more important to you than losing fat. Sweet dreams!
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It helps me because it's hard to eat when I'm unconscious. :happy:
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I eat less when I sleep more ;) hahah
  • smileybooliz
    smileybooliz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    When ou get less than 5 or 6 hours of sleep, you become as insulin resistant as a diabetic, as far as your hormones go studies show. In other words, all the good work you've done that day eating-wise was a waste of time. Sleep is vitally important for fat loss. You have to tell yourself as you sit up late chatting to friends or surfing the Net or watching TV that this chat/surf/viewing is more important to you than losing fat. Sweet dreams!

I'm gonna log off and get ready for bed!! :yawn: :heart:
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Go to bed damnit!! :)

Yea it helps a TON and if you do not sleep well, get a sleep study done. I swear my CPAP saved my freaking life!! I snore terribly without it and wake up 10 times a night to pee, with it I sleep all night. Sometimes I get up once to pee but I blame the half gallon of water from 8-10 pm on that.
  • brittanylock09
    brittanylock09 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I know that when I'm chronically sleep deprived, I crave more carbs and I get hungrier, so staying under my calorie goal is harder. But assuming that I AM staying under my calorie goal even though I'm sleep deprived, is there any scientific evidence that people who sleep more lose weight more easily?

I've read somewhere. can't remember where, but too little sleep(6 hrs or less) , on avg ppl gain weight, too much sleep (9 or more hours), ppl gain weight, it said 7-8 hrs is the perfect amount. I lean more towards 7 hrs personally, but everyone is different.
  • velloxal
    velloxal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I will have to improve my sleeping habits for sure
  • msmimi
    msmimi Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Yes sleep aids in weight loss.The group I'm in had a sleep challenge a few weeks ago. Here is some info posted on our board....
    Lack of sleep can cause....
    Your body to make more ghrelin, the hormone that says “GO, eat more” and ...
    Your body to make less leptin, the hormone that says “STOP,” and tells your body it is full, and ...
    Your body to make more cortisol, which can increase your appetite.

Sleep isn’t merely a time when your body and brain shut off. While you rest, your brain stays busy, overseeing a wide variety of biological maintenance tasks that keep you running in top condition and prepare you for the day ahead. Without enough hours of restorative sleep (which dieters especially need because we are breaking down fat stores and building muscle), you’re like a car in need of an oil change. You won’t be able to work, learn, create, lose weight and communicate at a level even close to your true potential. Regularly skimp on “service” and you’re headed for a major mental and physical breakdown.

Has this ever happened to you? You’re feeling sleepy at work, you may be tempted to reach for a cup of coffee (or several cups) and a doughnut for a quick shot of energy. Later you may skip the gym because you are exhausted and pick up takeout on your way home to your family -- no time to cook or just plain don't feel like it. When you finally find yourself back in your bed, you are too wound up to sleep.
  • smileybooliz
    smileybooliz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I eat less when I sleep more ;) hahah

:laugh: Me Too!!