Starting over again

Options
The first Monday after Christmas 2011 I got on the scale and saw 299lbs. I knew that I had to do something that i couldn't continue to put on more weight. I decided i was going to start exercising and lose some weight. Jan. 1st rolled around and i started focusing on my eating and starting walking and i have worked up to running. I now 6 weeks into it and have dropped down 29 lbs but now i am having a lot of trouble with my eating. Cause i am craving a lot of those things that got me to the size i was. Not sure if i need to refocus or how to fight thru those times and not allow myself to eat that crap. Anyone been there and had success fighting thru the challenges? I am familiar with pushing myself in running but not so much in the eating department. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I just starting using MFP a few days ago so my weight loss hasn't been while starting MFP.

Replies

• SteveGresham
    Options
    First of all let me say good job so far. There are two things that have helped me with food. The first is I religously post the food I eat on MFP. It makes me aware of whats going in my body. The first few days of using it I realized that I had been eating way to many calories. I would eat mostly out of boredom. The second thing that has helped me is keeping foods on hand that I can eat to cure my cravings. I found that I can eat pretty much anything I wanted but just in moderation. My job keeps me out in a car all day long so I was used to hitting the drive thru at most any fast food joint. I keep a lap top in my car and have downloaded all of the nutritional info on my desktop so if I am out and about and I have a craving for some Taco Bell or what ever I pull it up and plan what I can have. Its probally not the healthiest way to eat but right now I am focused on calorie intake. When I get closer to my goal I will concentrate more on the healthier foods. Doesnt work for everyone but it works for me.
  • Demetriceann
    Options
    Hi blanton. I too have just started my journey, and I'm also dealing with motivation issues, but as of right now I'm having a hard time focusing on the activity part. :( one thing that did help me get the nutrition part under control was taking it one day at a time and, picking better habits. I find that if I go too extreme and cut out all of favorites I'm setting my self up for failure. Try cutting out one bad food a week. If you do that, your body and mind get a chance to adjust to the better foods you introduce. Good luck on your journey!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    We all have been there, thats why we here. Great job on you weight loss so far. Dont be too hard on yourself. You welcome to still satisfy your cravings. Do not deprive yourself.- everything in moderation. For me the most important thing is being honest with myself. Thats why even the bad day, i make sure i record and log EVERYTHING. Do that and continue running, you should do just fine.
  • blantonjm1
    blantonjm1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and for sharing with me what you are doing to make it work for you. Good luck on your continued journey.

17483936.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • blantonjm1
    Options
    Demetrice thank you for the encouragement and let me share with you that if you try to start out by walking for 10 minutes 3-4 times a week and keep increasing the time until you get to 30 minutes and then continue to work up so you can add a 5th day if possible. it will help in your weight loss and how you feel. I wanted start running again after not running for 6 yrs and it was very tough for me. I was 290 lbs and i couldn't run very far or very hard without getting exhausted. But once i realized that i can't get anywhere without starting somewhere. I began walking and then i began running for a minute and walking for 5 minutes and at the end of 8 weeks i was running for thirty minutes. I would have told you that it was impossible when i started out because it was tough to even run for a minute and then the next week i had to run for 2 minutes and i thought to myself who runs for two minutes, this is so tough. But i was determined to run and get faster. An now I am working on sticking with it and to eating better. You may not have any desire to run and that is fine, it isn't for everyone. But set a goal and be realistic, just as you told me decrease 1 bad food a week i am tell you try add so daily activity in and it will help you out so much. thanks for chatting and good luck on your journey as well.
  • blantonjm1
    Options
    Callme, i appreciate your comment. and i probably am to hard on myself and i probably allow others to be hard on me as well. ( Are you sure you should eat that?) But I need to allow myself some of the stuff i like and realize that a little goes along way, so eat less of it especially if i have to run it off. I had a really bad week this week eating wise and i am actually pretty happy to record no weight loss or gain. I need to refocus this week and back to the weight loss again.