Tell me about your first half marathon

Options
2»

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I can tell you about my first half marathon training.... unfortunately I injured my hip flexors three weeks ago and have only been back running for less than a week, so my planned half next Saturday has morphed into a 10k.

I am wondering now if my training plan was too ambitious - I really wanted a plan that included covered the full 21km before the race - I tend to think that only training up to 16 or 17K would leave me panicking in the lead up. The plan I chose was from Runkeeper - 4 runs a week, long runs starting at 6 miles, including 2 x 14 miles, 2 x 13 miles with other inbetween.

I did a practice 21km on the weekend before my injury and covered that in 2:29 which I was really happy with - as my goal was 2:30 and the practice run was on hills whereas the real race is flat. I did lots of experimenting with eating and drinking during my training run (especially drinking as it's summer here and it's HOT as hell), I probably pushed a bit too fast on my training runs, didn't stretch enough..... but I've learnt so much more and am not giving up!

I'm going to train for a 14km in May then a half in August (with hills!), hopefully I will be stronger and fitter by then and make it through injury free.

Good luck with your training!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Am i the only sleeping more with this training? Also more or less 2hours after my runs, i just wanna take a nap.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I have been running for a few months. I ran a 10k race on the weekend, my longest run so far is 8 miles. Hopefully I can make it!

I'd say that with 8 miles under your belt and another week of training you will be fine, try and get a 10 miler in but don't stress out if you can't. Take it easy the week before and post back for some race tips a few days before the event. Good luck.
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'd say that with 8 miles under your belt and another week of training you will be fine, try and get a 10 miler in but don't stress out if you can't. Take it easy the week before and post back for some race tips a few days before the event. Good luck.
    [/quote]

Thank you so much I will definately take you up on that offer!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    My first half I used Hal Higdon's plan. I was actually about 4 weeks behind schedule due to ITBS. I skipped ahead on the plan here and there and ended up with my longest run being 10 miles.

The race itself was amazing. I got to meet one of my closest MFP friends and we had the chance to hang out all weekend and make some great memories.

That was me!!! Great memories!

I think I trained for 3 months and my half was a practice race for a full in November. I had completed the full 13.1 one time before the race, though I do not believe that it is necessary. I had ITBS problems before starting my training and basically had to restart from zero running. My point; build slowly. I rushed at first and had to start over because my legs weren't ready. I lost some valuable weeks in the beginning. And yes, half marathons do hurt if you are pushing. The good news is that they hurt only half as bad as a full! The best part about running a half is when it does start to hurt, you are almost done! It's a really FUN distance. Challenging but not overwhelming. Well, I guess if you like running. If you don't then I can imagine any distance being overwhelming.

I just did my second Half on Sunday and PR'd by about 10 minutes. In just 3 months. Don't forget strength training. I makes all the difference.
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Well I did it!! I finished my first half marathon!! Finished in 2:28 It was very difficult, I think I should have done more strength training as my thighs were so sore for the last 8k. But all in all I am very happy as my goal time was 2:30 and I only decided after I finished my first 10k race 3 weeks ago to even attempt it.

Thank you all for your help!!!
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Well I did it!! I finished my first half marathon!! Finished in 2:28 It was very difficult, I think I should have done more strength training as my thighs were so sore for the last 8k. But all in all I am very happy as my goal time was 2:30 and I only decided after I finished my first 10k race 3 weeks ago to even attempt it.

**popping a bottle of champagne** congratulations.
  • Stumoo
    Stumoo Posts: 14
    Options

Nice one :-)

My first half marathon was last year. I trained for 12 weeks, and my longest run was 12 miles (only once). I was doing ok, but my biggest mistake was that I didn't do any hill training! The course was merely undulating but my training runs round where I live were mostly flat. I got cramp at 10 miles and had to walk for a bit, finishing in 1:53:37, way past my target of 1:40. That evening and the day after I felt like an old man... could hardly walk up the stairs, and was crippled by cramp in my legs and my abs at the same time!

My second half marathon is on April 1st. I feel way better prepared for this, as yesterday I ran just over 12 miles with lots of hills and I just feel pleasantly fatigued rather than completely destroyed. Basically my experience is that if you want to feel comfortable while running a half marathon, you have to do a few 12-13 mile runs beforehand so your body and especially your mind get used to it. Physically, if you can run 10 miles, you should be able to do 13.1 miles just fine. Mentally is another matter!

I will probably aim for at least one 14 mile run in the next 6 weeks, as then I can tell myself on the day of the race 'It's no big deal, you've run further than this before!'. Any other half marathoners take a similar approach?
  • khollyk
    khollyk Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Bumping this so that I can look up those training programs later!