Bariatric surgery????

Options
Anyone ever considered gastric bypass or other kinds of surgery to enable weight loss???? Hope this isn't too personal

Replies

• GemaG
    GemaG Posts: 142
    Options
    My best friends sister had a bypass a year ago and had lost over 10 stone so far
  • marciab30
    marciab30 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had a Vertical Sleeve which is kinda in between the lap-band and the gastric bypass. It's a newer procedure. And I am nearly 8 months post op and down 101 lbs. from my heaviest weight :) You need to look into it and decide if it is something you can live with. With bariatric surgery a lot of people think once you have the surgery the weight will just fall off... and in a sense the first couple weeks it does because you calories are so low, but as your stomach heals the weight comes off at a slightly higher rate than losing it on your own, but it's still a lot of work to get the weight off and you don't have a choice (kinda) but to change your whole relationship with food... if you have any questions let me know :)
  • oilsooner
    Options
    I also had the sleeve (VSG) and am down nearly 40 pounds at 5 weeks post op. I really think it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. I was diagnosed as a compulsive over eater before surgery, and had diabetes type II, high blood pressure, and sleep apnea. All except the sleep apnea are already gone (off all meds), and I should be able to stop using the CPAP later this summer.

Its a very personal decision because there are risks, but for some people, its the only logical choice.
  • LemonDiva
    Options
    Thank you friends, you are wonderful... so helpful
  • rsidebo
    Options
    I am considering bariatric surgery. My doctor referred me to a Bariatric Surgeon. Just today I started a 12 week nutrition class preparing me to make an educated choice between not having the surgery, Bypass, Sleeve, or LapBand. There is so much to consider. I am already 62, so if I want to do it, I need to do it now because they won't do it after I reach age 65. I need to lose about 80 pounds. Have tried everything....but, it seems the more I try, the bigger I get. Hoping I can get my head on straight during this 12 week class. I am brand new to MyFitnessPal. So far, looks like a very encouraging helpful website.
  • LemonDiva
    Options
    i know that feeling rsidebo... there are some very informative blogs and sites exploring pre and post operative bariatric surgery... people who have experienced its from both sides...

I hope you come to the right decision for your situation and experience success in your quest for health and well being...
  • bobthesmogs
    bobthesmogs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Three of my friends have had the gastric sleeve. The bypass is very radical, you'll be on vitamin pills/injections for the rest of your life. They have all had amazing results and wished they'd done it much earlier. Three years on and they are all maintaining with healthy BMI's. There are some foods that they still can't eat, especially bread/rice and other stodgy food. A word of warning though, one of them got an infection, and suffered 6 months of hell until that was finally sorted.
  • Tscbarb
    Options
    I had bariatric surgery in June of 2006. I started out at 412 lbs. I lost 109 lbs in six months. Needless to say I didn't reach my goal of 180 lbs. I didn't work out either. Good news is I didn't gain it all back. I gained some of it back, which they say you will. I have been steady at the 330 lb mark for last 4 years without any effort. So I have decided I need to workout and change my eating habits completely to finish what I started. When you have this surgery you won't be able to process sugar as before. I can't eat ice cream because I'm somewhat lactose intollerant when sugar is mixed with milk products, which I wasn't before the surgery. I can drink milk without a problem but I can't eat cereal with any sugar. When I do eat sugary things I immediately need a nap and basically crash. I am not a diabetic nor do I have high blood pressure. Sugar just does this to most gastric bypass patients. Also I cannot eat chinese food, fried rice in particular makes me sick. Heavy pasta dishes are not tolerable either. Believe me when food gets stuck it hurts. Steak and tougher meats are impossible. The pouch does stretch out again but not to the full extent that it was, however I know when I am full and don't push my luck because I know it is coming back up if I do. One other side effect which is monitored but my doctor is calcium loss. My calcium levels tank all the time. I have to constantly take heavy duty calcium and vitamin D to keep my levels up. I am concerned that I will develop osteoporosis prematurely.

If I were to recommend any sort of stomach alterations, I wouldn't go this route. I would check into gastric banding. Reasons being, one it is not permanent, two, you will get the same outcome of restriction without the vitamin loss. It takes longer to lose the weight but that is okay, slower the better. You won't lose your gallbladder if you do this slowly. Just for the record I still have my gallbladder, but many gastric bypass patients don't. The reason I didn't do the gastric banding was because the doctor performing these procedures was 2 hours away. When you have the banding procedure you must go in and have the band inflated/deflated and maintained periodically. If anyone has any questions for me please don't hesitiate to ask me.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Finish you 12weeks with a open mind. Look to your doctors for advise. Everyone is different and every doctor had a different protocol to follow before or after. Make and informed decision but check your facts if you are going to rely on advice from others. I've already read some misleading information associated with this post.
  • sagetracey
    sagetracey Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have the gastric lap band and have lost 56kg in 10 months. Although I have worked very hard on managing my food choices and getting plenty of exercise, the band has also played a significant role in my success. It helps me to control how much food I eat.

Sadly you will find a lot of ignorance and misinformation about bariatric surgeries, not to mention some serious attitude against it. Many people thinking it as the lazy or easy way out, or not as good as losing weight yourself.don't worry about them. It is important that you should own research and work with you medical team to decide what is right for you.

there is nothing wrong with getting help to lose weight and become healthy. Bariatric surgery is a tool, this website is a tool.

good luck with whatever you decide
  • nabia2012
    Options
    Good Morning, I had bariatric Surgery on 1/21/2009, I was 326lbs and lost 146lbs within 8 months. Unfortunately, I gained 25lbs in 2 years however it is not unfortunate due to the fact I am still 100lbs down from where I started and I am healthier than I was before. I am wearing a size 14 instead of a size 28 and I feel like I can fly. It was worth it. I had extreme sleep apnea, type 2 diabetes, I was on beta blockers due to an enlarge heart, PCOS, stage 2 endometrial cancer, high blood pressure, I was barely living. I could not function. Now I can do anything I want to, I feel like I am truly living and I have. For me it meant life or death. It is a serious decision to make because your life will change. Please don't seek this out if you are not willing to make the dedication to yourself for the rest of your life. This is not a diet you can just get on and then get off when you want to. This is a whole life change. you will have to take your vitamins everyday, EVERYDAY. You cannot miss your vitamins. You must eat protein every day more than the pyramid states. this is not a quick fix, you can gain weight back if you do not use your tool wisely. It is a tool but if you don't use the tool as instructed you will gain weight. My suggestion if you are looking to have the surgery go to the free seminars at the hospitals, ask as many questions as possible, and meet a person that you can talk to that has had the surgery. I helped several people get approved but I made sure that they knew the ups and downs of this surgery. Although I have received many benefits there were many challenges and still are but you have to know that this is a life changing decision "NOT A DIET". I hope this helps. Take care.
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I had lap band surgery 4 years ago. I lost NOTHING. The only thing that happened when I got to restriction was that I could not eat certain food (chicken, breads, etc). They would come back up again. Believe me it did not stop me from finding foods I could keep down. I have tried EVERYTHING I could to lose weight by NOT counting calories. NOTHING worked! Today I am counting calories, exercising, and guess what? losing weight. I know I will make it now. Good luck with whatever you decide.