Crunches

Carrie6o6
Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
How do I do a crunch properly? I thought I knew how but I really have hurt my neck!! It's hurting more than my abs!! I put my hands by my ears and then do it... I try to keep my head straight by looking at the ceiling... What's the right way? Or is it suppose to hurt your neck? hahaha

Replies

• Carrie6o6
    How do I do a crunch properly? I thought I knew how but I really have hurt my neck!! It's hurting more than my abs!! I put my hands by my ears and then do it... I try to keep my head straight by looking at the ceiling... What's the right way? Or is it suppose to hurt your neck? hahaha
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    You wouldn't happen to be pulling on your neck when you do it would you? I put my finger tips around my ear but nothing else this keeps me from pulling on my neck. If this isn't the case try neck raises where you lay down on your back and do neck rotations to build up your muscles. Hope this helps
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Try this site it has videos and photos to view:

http://www.ehow.com/video_3191_abdominal-crunch.html

I have opted out of doing crunches and use an exercise ball with much greater effect all round. I can deflate it when I travel and inflate it at my hotel and reverse the process for the trip home so that my routine remains consistent.

Hope this helps.
  • Carrie6o6
    Try this site it has videos and photos to view:

http://www.ehow.com/video_3191_abdominal-crunch.html

I have opted out of doing crunches and use an exercise ball with much greater effect all round. I can deflate it when I travel and inflate it at my hotel and reverse the process for the trip home so that my routine remains consistent.

Hope this helps.

Yes this helped a lot! thank you very much! As does the neck raises thank you!:happy:
  • mamatusa
    mamatusa Posts: 40
    Hi Carrie6o6,

I think you should be using just your ab muscles and lower back when crunching up. Your head and neck are pretty much straight and 'along for the ride"

I have a bad neck and my trainer has me hold onto a towel that is behind my neck. It really helped.
  • Hi, i would suggest placing your hands on your legs and as you crunch up your hands slide towards your knees. This way you can't accidently pull on your neck.

Al
  • Carrie6o6
    Hi Carrie6o6,

I think you should be using just your ab muscles and lower back when crunching up. Your head and neck are pretty much straight and 'along for the ride"

I have a bad neck and my trainer has me hold onto a towel that is behind my neck. It really helped.

Thanks I will try the towel if my neck still hurts! :smile:
  • Carrie6o6
    Hi, i would suggest placing your hands on your legs and as you crunch up your hands slide towards your knees. This way you can't accidently pull on your neck.

Al

Thanks will do!! Now is that actually you, or Jack Black? Or are you Jack Black in hiding!? :wink: hahaha
  • lol, i really should change my profile picture

You'll all be glad to know that while i was drunk last week i uploaded a picture of myself, (its viewable from my profile).

I never like any pictures i see of myself, for some reason i always look fat in them lmao

Enjoy!

Al (Not JB)
  • Carrie6o6
    awwww hahaha yes I saw it. I dont like photos of me either I "look fat" in a lot of them too for some strange reason! Who knows eh? haha