How many calories do *you* burn on a cross-trainer?

Options
I'm trying to figure out how many calories I burn on a cross-trainer without the use of a HRM (I simply cannot afford one at the moment) and I'm getting a lot of conflicting information. So, I'm wondering - if any of you have a reasonably accurate estimate on how many calories you have burned on the cross-trainer, would you care to share? :)

As for me: my cross-trainer (which, although I love it, is a little low-tech and doesn't take into account weight, heart rate, or anything that the fancy gym ones take into account) says I burn about 270 calories for 65 minutes work. I think (with all the confidence of someone who doesn't have a clue!) that this sounds about right :) However, mfp says it is 638 calories (surely I don't burn that many?!). I looked on another website and it suggested I burned 804!

So, it would be interesting to know what others burned :)

Replies

• jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    my mom's cross trainer claimes i burn 90kcal/1 hour :DD So those aren't all too accurate. My HRM said 320/1hour depending on speed/resistance etc.
  • LauraCR1990
    LauraCR1990 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    the cross trainer at the gym tells me i burn 140 kcals in 20 mins :)

thats on interval level 7! :)
  • britaniyya
    Options
    I use a Fitness First cross-trainer and burn 420 calories in 45 minutes, and only on Level 2!
  • cesmith5
    Options
    A personal trainer once told me it's approx 1 cal per 4/5 steps
    My usage works out at approx 400 cals per 30 min
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor is the most accurate tool to tell u.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It massively depends. The motion varies slightly between brands and models and the commercial ones tend to have higher levels with more resistance and the motion closer to a non - impact version of running. Using your arms either on the arm parts (as opposed to having them stationary) or pumping them in a running style will add to the calorie burn.

For about 90 minutes I'll burn between 900 and 1000 kCal on the gym ones on level 15 out of 25 tracked with a HRM and am normally dripping with sweat. This is closeish to my running figure but slightly lower for the same time and also my HR is about 10 BPM slower on the x-trainer so makes sense.

I can tell that on the ones designed for home use, I won't be working anywhere near as hard and the stride length is much smaller too. Nike+ converts my X-trainer mileage to the equivalent of it in running which is about 1km less every 5km which ties in calories wise what I'd normally burn running for that distance.

Hope that helps.
  • o_delaisse
    o_delaisse Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The stride length is definitely quite small. And I have it on the highest resistance, but if I remember the gym one correctly, I think my highest resistance feels about a level 3 or 4. So low, in other words!

I'm thinking 250/300 might be about right. I am trying my best but I'm still not awesome at it, and although I am out of breath and a little bit sweaty, I'm not dripping! :)

Thanks, everyone. And I think maybe I should save for a HRM :)
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My answer here will probably end up bordering on rant. I've used crosstrainers or ellipticals for years in the gym. Recently I bought a quality machine for home use. The gym models tended to put me at 500-550 for 45 minutes. When I received my Smooth FItness machine several months ago, my first several workouts per the machine put me at 350 and I was working harder! My Polar HRM however put me at 450. What's ironic is both my wrist unit and machine were working off the exact same transmitter! As I adjusted to the machine, eventually my machine calories reached and then passed the wrist unit as tension increased and today I'm at 670 or so on the machine and 575 on the wrist unit. The machine knows my HR and tension level while the wrist unit only knows my heart rate.

The point here is there are algorithms in both the machines and wrist units that maintain certain assumptions producing dubious results. If the machine is quality, the tension assumption is reduced but not eliminated. So whatever these equipment companies might want to tell you has alot of marketing in it. And what your PT trainer tells you has one part they really don't know and another part you expect an answer and they don't want to make it complicated.

Our only choice is trial and error. Meaning do you best in using, in your case, this thread to come up with an assumed calorie amount, employ that for a while and then based on calories consumed, weight loss results, etc,, adjust it.

I don't know why I had to figure this out coupling the half answers I got from various fitness industry personnel with my own results but that just seems to be the way it is. Good luck.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It depends on your fitness level. Can you run? what pace? Is there a walking speed that gets you to the point where you are huffing and puffing?

I would say, on average, that you could multiply your body weight in kg times 6 and that would give you a reasonable estimate of calories per hour. Then just multiply that number by the percentage of an hour you spent exercising.

In other words, if you weigh 80 kg and worked out for 30 minutes, your burn would be roughly: (80kg x 6) x 0.5 or 240.
  • Azdak
    Options
    My answer here will probably end up bordering on rant. I've used crosstrainers or ellipticals for years in the gym. Recently I bought a quality machine for home use. The gym models tended to put me at 500-550 for 45 minutes. When I received my Smooth FItness machine several months ago, my first several workouts per the machine put me at 350 and I was working harder! My Polar HRM however put me at 450. What's ironic is both my wrist unit and machine were working off the exact same transmitter! As I adjusted to the machine, eventually my machine calories reached and then passed the wrist unit as tension increased and today I'm at 670 or so on the machine and 575 on the wrist unit. The machine knows my HR and tension level while the wrist unit only knows my heart rate.

The point here is there are algorithms in both the machines and wrist units that maintain certain assumptions producing dubious results. If the machine is quality, the tension assumption is reduced but not eliminated. So whatever these equipment companies might want to tell you has alot of marketing in it. And what your PT trainer tells you has one part they really don't know and another part you expect an answer and they don't want to make it complicated.

Our only choice is trial and error. Meaning do you best in using, in your case, this thread to come up with an assumed calorie amount, employ that for a while and then based on calories consumed, weight loss results, etc,, adjust it.

I don't know why I had to figure this out coupling the half answers I got from various fitness industry personnel with my own results but that just seems to be the way it is. Good luck.

The explanation is actually quite straightforward. There is no standard movement for an elliptical cross trainer--every manufacturer has their own design. Therefore, there is no standard equation (like we have for running, walking, stairclimbing, stationary cycling on an ergometer) that can be used for estimating calories.

In order to develop an accurate algorithm for estimating calories, each manufacturer would have to develop their own algorithms and do validation testing for each of their machines. Few have the time or resources to do this, so they just "fudge" it by using some other type of calculation --"speed", for example. The only company I know of that does extensive validation testing is Life Fitness, and only for some of their later models. Unfortunately, the most popular model that they sell is a design that is over 11 years old and, to my knowledge, still uses an older software that overestimates by 20%-30%.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    It depends on your heart rate and weight.
    I burn about 450 cals in 45 min, but you'll likely be different.
  • Karstli
    Options
    Well, here we go again. Cross trainers seem to fall in the same hole as cups tea and table spoons, small apples and my absolute favorit serving size!
    i love these exact measures :-)

I use a kettler cross trainer witha heart monitor, setting my age and goal and using the highest setting there is which is a 38 minutes interval with high of 300w magnetic breaking peak and 200 low with a 3 minute in and out pacing.
    I burn if I go for 45 minutes, not 38, 4250 kj equals about 1000kcal, 3.4 km distance.

Can I trust that? I dont know, do I trust it? Yes, maybe I cheat myself, but these Kettler machines are pretty much top of the line, have Siemens electronics on board.
    Does it really matter as much?
    I feel better, I feal healthier. I am diabetic, but witha workout like this I burn of half of my extreme sugar levels any time.

I start with 266 bg, which is not good...but after that I have 120-150.....]

I am not sure if there is a sure method measuring the calories burned, but I know it has a possitive effect on me.

Karsten
  • Azdak
    Options
    Well, here we go again. Cross trainers seem to fall in the same hole as cups tea and table spoons, small apples and my absolute favorit serving size!
    i love these exact measures :-)

I use a kettler cross trainer witha heart monitor, setting my age and goal and using the highest setting there is which is a 38 minutes interval with high of 300w magnetic breaking peak and 200 low with a 3 minute in and out pacing.
    I burn if I go for 45 minutes, not 38, 4250 kj equals about 1000kcal, 3.4 km distance.

Can I trust that? I dont know, do I trust it? Yes, maybe I cheat myself, but these Kettler machines are pretty much top of the line, have Siemens electronics on board.
    Does it really matter as much?
    I feel better, I feal healthier. I am diabetic, but witha workout like this I burn of half of my extreme sugar levels any time.

I start with 266 bg, which is not good...but after that I have 120-150.....]

I am not sure if there is a sure method measuring the calories burned, but I know it has a possitive effect on me.

Karsten

The calorie reading is likely an overestimate, but that doesn't mean the numbers can't be motivating in a positive way.

Calories burned is also a measure of total work performed. So, for any given unit of workout time, your total calories can be used as a way to chart your progress. Even if the number is an overestimate, any change in the number will still indicate real improvement.

For example I know my stair climber calories are an overestimate--not because the machine is wrong but because I can't balance myself on the pedals, so I have to grab the old "bullhorn" handgrips. I'm not leaning on the machine, but just grasping the rails provides some support. However, I can still use the calorie numbers to track my improvement--I just don't include the entire number in my eating plan.

It's harder for an HRM to do this, because it is not always possible to update your VO2max setting. So even though your fitness is improving, the HRM will tend to give you the same number or even lower. Since the machine measures the ACTUAL work you are performing, the calorie numbers are much better for showing progress in your fitness level.
  • zeezee1983
    zeezee1983 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Dear lord people get a calorie counting watch I have one after iv been on my cross trainer 60 mins on a hard level I burn 1000 calories!
  • stephaniecresp
    Options
    I have just done 30 minutes on the cross trainer starting on level 2 and going up to level 8 in increments of three minutes. 12 minutes on level 12 then down. Sweating like a pig. Took almost 15mins to be breathing normally. The reading on the machine was 1336 calories. I'm 53 years old, diabetic, and 94kg. I'm taking the 1336 calories.

I'm sure there that calories burnt has something to do with age, your weight, what speed your working at and what the levels actually mean.

I do know I sweated and puffed more that at boxing last night
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 800-950 after an hour, but the last 40 minutes my heart rate is up above 160 (never above 180). Level 4 up increments to level 12. It says my pace is around 21kph, but I'm sure that's wrong.
  • 175kgbench1RM
    Options
    I burn 600 cal in 30 minutes on the cross trainer.
  • Babybel1
    Babybel1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I wouldn't describe myself as fit or unfit, but last time I went to the gym (about five days ago) I burned 471 cals in 30min on fat burn, so wasn't going that fast as you have to keep your heart rate slower than cardio. My friend who is also average can do about 850 in an hour. Obviously if you consider yourself to be someone who exercises very regularly you should do better lol. My friend and I are both 24 and (very) casual gym users.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Calorie burn can depend on a lot of things - fitness level, height, weight, age, gender, heart rate, intensity and duration.

However, one thing I've discovered is that if your machine shows distance, you can be fairly confident in using the same estimate as many use for walking or running which is 1 mile = 100 calories. I've only ever used the Precor ellipticals that are in my gym and compared to the calorie burn per my Polar FT4, this is a pretty close estimate.

ETA: to answer the topic question, I averge somewhere between 8.5 to 10 calories per minute so an hour session would get me somewhere between 510 and 600 calories. I'm female, 5'7", 174 pounds and usually have the resistance set to somewhere between 12 and 15 with a moderate incline.
  • ChazzyEvilKitty2014
    Options
    I have a Cross Trainer at home, everyone seems to be getting greater burns than me, I have it set at level 6-7, but the highest it goes is 8. In about half an hour of using it on 6 it says I burn 50-60 calories, is this right?