breastfeeding and weightloss help

Options
I am a 40 yr old woman who is still breastfeeding my child. She is 15 months old. When I breastfed my son I lost weight with no problem. I watch what I eat, exercise regularly and drink lots of water but have not been able to loose any weight. My Dr said she feels it is stress and has me on anti anxiety pills (safe for baby). I have been working at this for a long time and nothing. I even do the 1200 cal a day and nothing. Can someone please help me????? PLEASE!!!

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you're supposed to eat more than 1200 calories if you're breastfeeding.. I'd be more concerned about that than losing weight right now.
  • fatlosshelper
    Options
    purpleipod, thank you for that. I really wasn't looking for judgement. I really am looking for serious help. I am 30lbs over weight and have been struggling with this 30lbs since before I got pregnant with my daughter (about 3-4yrs now). I so want to be health for my children and thought maybe someone out there had any suggestions. The Dr. has no idea other than stress related and it just depresses me to look at myself knowing I have worked so hard to be healthy for my kids only to see I have gotten no where.
  • hope25
    hope25 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I would try not to stress over the weight loss since your Dr. thinks stress could be part of the problem. I would research what the proper calories for you to be eating with breastfeeding are. I think they tell you to add like 500 a day to your calories. Your body may be going into major starvation mode, trying to hold on to what it is getting to feed the baby, does that make sense? How long do you plan to breast feed for? If you are planning to wean in a few months then I would forget weight loss till that time and focus more on just healthy choices between now and then.
  • CW101
    CW101 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I recently finished breastfeeding my child and I tracked all my food on here but I made sure I ate approximately 500 calories more when she was nursing several (4-6) times a day and lowered that caloric intake to about 250 when I introduced some formula and she wasn't nursing as much. That was on top of the recommended 1300 calories MFP 'allowed' me. I walked - a lot! But it was summer / fall and much nicer outside! I also took a pilates class - which I finds helps to work on my core and in turn helps to keep me on track. I tried to keep to whole foods - lean proteins, limited breads and pastas, lots of veggies and some fruit and a ton of water. I tried not to deny myself - the body needs more calories and nutrients while breastfeeding - but I restricted my pizza, chips and chocolate intake to occasional treats. (BTW - we're the same age.)

It sounds like you're doing the right things. Maybe it is stress that's causing your body to hold on to the extra weight but I would definitely up your calorie intake. And if it's stress, along with the anti-anxiety meds, try to find a way to deal with the stress - everyone's got a different way to deal so you've got to find what will work for you.

Good luck!
  • autumntia
    autumntia Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am currently breastfeeding my newborn (6 weeks) and I am 27, however I lost a good amount of weight in the first 3 weeks postpartum and now it feels like I gained some of it back! I have now started really being more strict with tracking my cals on here, and I am about to finally start working out again. I am hoping to lost an additional 35 pounds by August.

Like an earlier poster stated you really should be consuming more than 1200 cals when breastfeeding seriously. I put myself at 2000, but the minimum is 1800 for a breastfeeding mom. Just FYI . Also try doing some yoga and pilates (alternate days) and do your cardio as well. You should be fine, you need to eat more though, your body is probably holding onto the weight because you are breastfeeding still and not taking in enough cals.

Good luck to you
  • Shelley18904
    Shelley18904 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Another recommendation for adding extra calories for breastfeeding - I think that the suggested figure is 500 for exclusively breastfeeding a tiny baby, 300 for feeding a baby who is also on solids and 100-200 for feeding an older baby. I add an extra 200 for feeding my 19 month old, who feeds around 4 times a day/night. You can find entries to add in to your food diary - they add a minus figure so giving you the additional calories. I've always been able to lose whilst adding calories, so I would definitely give it a go.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I told you you should be eating more if you're breastfeeding. What do you want me to tell you?
  • daisygirl111
    daisygirl111 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also breastfeeding an older baby...... she will be 2 in March. At 15 months, I am assuming your child is eating some solid foods? If that is the case, your child is most likely not drinking as much breastmilk and your production of breastmilk is most likely slowing down a bit.

I know everyone is saying you need more calories because of breastfeeding, but past 12 months, and the further you go past 12 months, the less calories you need as your child needs less and less milk from you.

Anyways, now back to weight loss during breastfeeding. Most people lose weight during breastfeeding due to the calories it burns. However, I have never had a weight problem but now that I have had a child and am breastfeeding I have found it nearly impossible to keep my weight in check. I have researched it and found that while the majority of people lose weight while breastfeeding, for a few people it causes them to hold onto weight. I really think I am one of these people, which means I have to try even harder to lose the weight. My hopes is my daughter will wean soon and then the weight will come off.

Why would breastfeeding make it hard to lose weight for some people? I have a few theories on this. One, perhaps the hormones that we produce are stronger than others and playing a number on our bodies. Two, perhaps the body is struggling to make the milk so it is holding onto body reserves to help. Three, perhaps, for me, I am not eating enough of the proper foods and drinking enough water so the body goes into starvation mode and is holding onto all the water and nutrients it can.

I'd say for right now while breastfeeding, you just do the best you can to control your weight and once you are done breastfeeding completely, then you can really work it hard and get rid of the excess.
  • RachelKG
    Options
    I am exclusively bf my 3mo. I weigh ~138 but weighed 115 pre-pregnancy so trying to get at least close to that. I set my calories at 1800 (just changed it from what it suggested after I put in all my other info). I wish there were a bf option in the profile or exercise area, but there isn't. I have had a hard time somewhat, because I am sooo hungry all the time. It is well-known that a pregnant woman is "eating for two" and encouraged to indulge, but once the baby is born, even though we are expending even more calories (especially during that time baby is getting nothing but breastmilk), we have to work hard losing the baby weight.

I understand that even though bf burns tons of calories, adding exercise is important. Exercise will help us lose the weight (hopefully we get to the point where we burn so much that we don't have time to eat more calories we burned during baby's naptime :-)), plus provide many physiological benefits. I like to wear my baby in a carrier to do Zumba at the gym or go for walks with my older son, and I've also found ways to incorporate her into a lot of yoga poses. Even doing housework with baby in a carrier ends up being a light workout, because I am doing weighted squats every time I pick something up off the floor.
  • ka_bateman
    ka_bateman Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you're supposed to eat more than 1200 calories if you're breastfeeding.. I'd be more concerned about that than losing weight right now.

Doesn't sound judgemental to me....It's true, you should be eating more than 1200 calories if you are burning 500+ breastfeeding. You're starving your body and will likely see results if you start to eat more.
  • TamImbrogno
    TamImbrogno Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I breastfed all 3 of my kids! You defiantely do need more than 1200 calories...I would shoot for at the LEAST 1400ish! Since your kiddo is older it is probably taking less to produce milk! Now with my 3 kids I did NOT lose all of my weight till after I fully weaned them! I held on to about 15-20lbs. Once I stopped the weight came off very easily. I would not worry about it till you are done breastfeeding!
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I do not easily lose weight while breastfeeding- but I finally figured out what worked for me. Personally I would up your calories to your BMR and do exercise daily and not eat those back. Also, walk.walk.walk! I think it's perfect while nursing and it doesn't strain your tatas. Right now I am still holding onto about 10lbs and don't think that's going anywhere until I stop nursing
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I am currently breastfeeding my almost 6 month old. I did all the research about how many calories and I don't think it is the same for everyone. I for one try to eat between 1200 and 1500 calories. I have done this since the beginning of January and my son is thriving and very healthy and my milk supply has not suffered at all. Maybe try increasing your calories a couple days a week and see if that makes a difference, your body just might be getting used to the amount of calories your eating. I also don't always eat my exercise calories back but that's just how I like to do it. And your baby is older so they probably don't breastfeed as much so your calories being low I wouldn't worry about. There will ALWAYS be somebody ready to pass judgement on you but don't worry about it. Like I said my son eats plenty and gets ALL his nutrition and my calories are lower than what "they" sugguest and he is almost 6 months. I have lost 12 pounds in a month and a half. Just drink LOTS oh h2o. Good luck to you!
  • stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I do not easily lose weight while breastfeeding- but I finally figured out what worked for me. Personally I would up your calories to your BMR and do exercise daily and not eat those back. Also, walk.walk.walk! I think it's perfect while nursing and it doesn't strain your tatas. Right now I am still holding onto about 10lbs and don't think that's going anywhere until I stop nursing
    [/quote

I actually just last week changed my Calorie goal to my bmr and don't eat exercise calories back. Great advice!
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I also breastfeed my DD and from what I understand, focusing on weight loss shouldn't be too high of a priority until they are completely weaned off. You really need to eat your breastfeeding calories to keep yourself and your baby healthy. As for losing that weight while breastfeeding, I will just keep doing what you are doing (but also adding in those extra calories) and the weight will eventually come off. It is common for older breastfeeding women to have much more difficulty losing the weight, but it will happen! Try doing a bit of yoga everyday too, that should also help with your stress and also keep you fit. Did you look into the side effects of the medication? It is possible that it is also hindering your weigh loss because many anxiety medications may do that to some people. Whatever stress is in your life, you may need to work on until you are able to get off the medication and you might find it a lot easier for you to lose weight.
  • CherryPie606
    CherryPie606 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My son is nearly 7 months and I eat between 1400 and 1800 cals a day, depending on cals burned through exercise that day. My supply hasn't been effected by my change in diet. If you're still producing plenty of milk, don't worry too much. As mentioned above, some breastfeeding women struggle to lose weight. Maybe once you've fully weaned it'll start coming off easier.
    Also - well done with bfing long term. Its awesome!
  • fatlosshelper
    Options
    Thank you all for the helpful information. I had never heard of BMR but researched that and some of the other info you all suggested. My baby is eating solids but still nurses a lot, especially at night. My last 2 children are not sleepers to say the least. My now 8yr old never slept through the night until 6yrs of age and the baby gets up at least once sometimes up to 3 and 4 times a night. With everything I have learned with every ones suggestions I am going to increase calorie intake to the 1687.51 based on info I found on BMR. I have also researched the effect of the anti anxiety meds and did not realize that could be the problem will talk to my DR immediately! Thank you all for everything. God bless you all and I wish you all success in your weight loss. Thanks again.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options