I'm new and need help

Hi I'm new
I am a mum of 4 boys aging from 15 3/4 to 2 3/4.
I'm 37 and i'm 5ft10in
I started my weight loss at the beginning of December as I got weighed by my doctor to be told i was 25.2 stone which is 350 lb I was so horrified.
I joined MFP in January as i really needed some help. I have now been on my journey for 7 week that's 48 day, and I'm already stuck I think it mostly due to lack of exercises. but i don't no what to try as I'm also am asthmatic, I have arthritis and bad knees. I do like walking but i find it so painful I have asked a few friends to join me and had no response its like everyone's expecting me to fail. Which is making me more determined.
any ideas are most welcome
Thanks
Shelle x :frown:

Replies

• I have arthritis and a bad knee myself which just recently started giving me problems so I have not been able to excercise for nearly a week. I go to the Dr on the 27th. I walk just a short distance and then I will turn on the music and dance evern if I just have to move my upper body I will even just sit down hold some 3# weights in my hands and move to the music. It's the best I can think of for now, atleast it is burning some calories. Friend me and maybe we help eachother along. I wish you the best on your weight lose journey. I am not expecting you to fail, I know you will be a success.
  • I would try swimming as the water takes the pressure off your joints. When I did my knee in (I tore the cartilidge and had to have surgury) I kept going to the gym and used things like the hand bike (great for cardio that dosnt involve your legs) or the cross trainer (again low impact on joints).What i would say is as long as your moving more than you normally would then it will be benifical you dont have to kill yourself with hardcore exercise. Good luck with your weight lose.
  • ATK57
    ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
    Walking for sure! You would be surprised how many calories you burn in a simple normal pace 30 minute walk! Just pick a point that would take you 15 minutes to get to and 15 to get back, put on some music and go for a walk! Do it 3 times a week, increase to 5 eventually and then gradually increase speed and time to about 45 minutes.

Thats what I started with, now I'm working in sprinting days.

Hope this helps! The key as with everything is not to go hardcore right away because you will eventually burn out and will not be able to keep up with it!

EDIT: I had two surgeries on both knees during my football career, so my knees bother me all the time at 25 yo. I do sprints on soft surface.
  • westdove
    westdove Posts: 174
    Welcome first and foremost!
    You have made the biggest steps already and kudo's to you. At some point, you will have to get to a point where you do not need to ask for walking buddies and etc. This is a change for yourself and hold yourself accountable. You do not have to do major exercise off the top. Start with basic things around the house, such as housechores (over doing them some) steps at home. I under stand your medical issues and trust, when you begin to shed pounds, you will find that weightloss will help your conditions (breathing, knee's, etc). I am right there with you, I am also well over 300 pounds and just started in January as well.
    Remember, baby steps. It took a long time to add pounds, so its going to take time to get if off. ONE pound at a time!
    Add me! I have my diary open to friends. But if not, I do wish you well. SELF TALK IS KEY!
  • shellecandothis
    shellecandothis Posts: 5 Member
    thank for the responses
    I do walk up and down the stair all the time. If i get 5mins peace i tend to go up and down the stairs.
    I walk my youngest to nursery twice that''s a 30 min walk for me. Take my OH 10 min there 10 mins back. but have found i'm doing it quicker as last time it took me 40 mins to get there drop him off and get home i was so please.
    I went and had a look around the gym but got put off by the people there as they were all skinny.I used to go before i put the weight on. but I would find that after going i would eat more.
    I try to walk to my local shop every day there 8mins away but it take 25 minute to walk the whole high street.
    I might try swimming when the kids go back to school as i cant swim but i will get me moving.
    thank you
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    punches with upper body only is a good cardio without having to use your lower body! good luck!