Is walking effective for normal weight person?

Options
I've always thought I had to do more than walking, because I was told that only an overweight person burns enough calories walking for it to make a difference. But I fell off the wagon a few months ago, and I'm finding it ever so hard to jump back in with jogging and workout videos. I'm just not enjoying them. I enjoy walking, but I've never done it everyday. I hope that if I start walking regularly, getting back into more intense cardio exercises will be easier, but I would like to be effective with walking only.

I weigh 145 at 5'5", which is just inside of the normal body weight BMI. I would like to lose about 10-15 more pounds, but I'm having a hard time managing intense cardio. My question is: If I start taking a brisk walk every day for about 30 minutes, could I start to see the scale move again, however slow it might be?

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It depends how you walk.If you're pushing on pace, walking up and down hills, and walking a decent distance, then of course there are health benefits. If you're strolling round the shops, probably less so.

I'm guessing you'd need a bit more than 30 minutes to have much impact, though. More like an hour.
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    Yup, increase your activity and get your heart rate elevated substantially above baseline, and you'll see results. Be aware, though, that those results probably won't be in the form of being toned. Toning up typically requires pushing yourself that extra level, and/or using weight or resistance outside of your own body.

How are you approaching cardio? Are you conscious of your heartrate? If you're in poor cardiovascular shape, maybe your exercise is too much for you to start with and is pushing you to 90% or so of your max heart rate. If you're not used to this, this feels AWFUL and even seasoned athletes cannot remain in that zone for long. Try monitoring your heart rate and cutting back on the intensity until your heart, lungs, and body adjust.
  • Floobaloob
    Floobaloob Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Brisk walking definitely helps. I walk about 6miles a day during the week (to uni and back) and feel so much better for it. My heart rate goes up to about 140. Last week I didn't walk (illness and ridiculously low exercise tolerance) and even though I ate the same as I usually do I put on a wee bit of weight. I wouldn't expect any fast results, but you should see and more importantly feel some.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    walking at a lower HR is effective for fat burning. But if you want to loose weight you need to get your HR up so you can burn more calories.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, walking is just as fine as anything else...it's still gettng up and moving about instead of sitting on your bum all day...like i do :P
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    Walking is one of the best exercises that you can do. The more you walk and the harder you feel it (uphill or on a sandy beach), the more you will benefit from the cardiovascular workout. The more strenuous = the greater the benefits.

But even a quick easy walk is better than none and helps you build up to more strenuous walks.

You should wear the right sneakers for proper support, of course.
  • PixelTreason
    PixelTreason Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You could always walk for an hour but within that hour take some serious, all out sprints for a minute or so to really get your heart rate up. I'm not an expert but that seems to me it would be beneficial.
  • Julie2402
    Options
    Hi, walking burns calories, go a bit quicker than you normally would go and keep up a quick pace uphill. I don't do aerobics just walking and i am much fitter, i have lost over 2 stone and my asthma has massively improved. Good luck and enjoy your walks.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    yes, go for it
  • jdcraik
    jdcraik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Getting your heart rate up and keeping it there is key, so a brisk walk (probably longer than 30 minutes) is better than a casual stroll. Don't push yourself to do something you don't like (like running) because you won't stick with it. Finding something you really enjoy so it doesn't feel like a chore is very important, so some casual walks that you'll sustain is probably better than hard runs (which you won't). Good luck.
  • 4040heather
    4040heather Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes! If you have a half hour, push yourself to keep as fast of a pace as you can. Go for it - esp if you enjoy it. And when you have more time, go for a longer walk.
  • leelee_1974
    Options
    Hi - I'm 5'7 and 151 at present. I've lost 14 pounds since November just by watching what I eat and walking fast most nights. I haven't done any other exercise apart from cycling the short journey to and from work and very occasional swims. I've always walked everywhere anyway but found I need to go 45+ minutes for it to make a difference to weight loss. I walk really fast, and often overtake joggers so I think pace is important too. I'm not sure it's a particularly good way of toning up though - I need to work on that next as I feel a bit saggy but it still makes a difference and gets your heart going.