Been at it for 6 days.

Options
Hi,

Found this cool iPhone app that actually has UK foods! Great!

Also bought a 'Withings Scale' Gone from 181lbs to 174lbs in a week (approx 22% body fat :( ). I'm on 1300 calories per day with a 1 day @ just over maintenance each week to keep things ticking over. I'm 6ft 1 and 31 years old (male). Very slim build but when I'm overweight look kinda stupid with a belly! My overall aim is to get back down to 12-14% body fat over a specific weight target.

For me it's reasonable simple - I switch out my food to:
Chicken
Salmon
Mackerel
Cottage Cheese
Olive Oil
Nuts (on maintenance day)
and as much frozen peas/beans/salad as I like

I genuinely feel satisfied each day on this even tho I only eat 1300 calories. I'm not a huge 'volume' eater and day job is sedentary. I have started running again tho and seem to be able to do 5k (very hilly and muddy) with only one or two stops. Target for 5 weeks time is to be able to run for an hour non stop and feel like I could do more. That's perfectly achievable based on past experience.

Not sure how I've let myself go over the past year - used to be regularly doing centuries on my road bike and now seem to hit the wall at 25-30 miles! Also jumped from 12% body fat to 23%.. that's a lot... Will get there tho.

I'm heading to see my girlfriend in 5 weeks so hoping to drop 3-5 % body fat before then. Won't be as slim as when I first met her but better than I am now...

Joe.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • ValReaves
    ValReaves Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi Joe...Welcome to MFP! I have found it to be a great place to be accountable and the support and encouragement is so helpful! Please feel free to add me as a friend. I'm on daily tracking my food etc. Best to you!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Since you're already at a healthy weight, you really shouldn't eat so little. You run the risk of losing muscle and wrecking your metabolism. You probably want to gain muscle, and that's next to impossible at 1300 calories. Guys generally shouldn't go below 1500 at the minimum. Switch your settings to lose no more than a half pound a week, make sure your protein is way higher than the 15% MFP defaults to (at least 25-30%), eat all your calories and all your exercise calories, and do strength training.
  • 189andFalling
    189andFalling Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Since you're already at a healthy weight, you really shouldn't eat so little. You run the risk of losing muscle and wrecking your metabolism. You probably want to gain muscle, and that's next to impossible at 1300 calories. Guys generally shouldn't go below 1500 at the minimum. Switch your settings to lose no more than a half pound a week, make sure your protein is way higher than the 15% MFP defaults to (at least 25-30%), eat all your calories and all your exercise calories, and do strength training.

Yeah, I was thinking that - worked for me last time. I've moved house recently so planning to set up my power rack & free-weights on Sunday! It's always difficult to balance tho. I know what the healthy thing to be doing is but also have an 'event' in 5 weeks (classic I know....). I might have a think about eating a little more, weight training, but also daily 2h bike rides to burn some of the fat as well.