Not losing weight. Need motivation or advice.

Options
Hi all,

I've been doing MFP for about 3 months now with a calorie goal of 1300. At 5'3 and 130 pounds, I don't feel overweight, just out of shape. I'm definitely a curvy girl with a nice large booty. I've been working out 2 months - running anywhere between 2 to 5 miles in a given day about 5 days a week. I also do some of the strengthening machines...legs, abs & arms a couple times a week. I lean towards a low fat diet...I drink 4 - 6 large glasses of water a day.

After all of that, I HAVEN'T LOST A POUND in two months. It is so damn frustrating stepping on the scale. I'll flux between numbers and I've gotten down to 127...but wow.

I need direction on how to get that needle pointing downward. My goal isn't unrealistic -- I'd like to get down to 125 possibly 120 by May. But what am I doing wrong here!?? Anyone else have these issues?

- In need of guidance =/

Replies

• SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    If you don't think you are overweight, why do you feel you need to lose?
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    Options
    Try increasing your calorie intake. I know it sounds contrary to what should happen, but it works. I've seen numerous people on this site increase their calorie count and they start to lose weight. I think you are in starvation mode (being under calories) so your body is keeping all the fat it can to survive. Once you eat more you body says... ok.. whew... here we have some food now so I can let some of this fat go. Check out this thread for more info on how to calculate it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/491087-my-gift-excel-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-cut-build-and-ma?error_user_id=9905396&error_username=gleechick609
  • fuzz_pawz
    Options
    Hi all,

I've been doing MFP for about 3 months now with a calorie goal of 1300. At 5'3 and 130 pounds, I don't feel overweight, just out of shape. I'm definitely a curvy girl with a nice large booty. I've been working out 2 months - running anywhere between 2 to 5 miles in a given day about 5 days a week. I also do some of the strengthening machines...legs, abs & arms a couple times a week. I lean towards a low fat diet...I drink 4 - 6 large glasses of water a day.

After all of that, I HAVEN'T LOST A POUND in two months. It is so damn frustrating stepping on the scale. I'll flux between numbers and I've gotten down to 127...but wow.

I need direction on how to get that needle pointing downward. My goal isn't unrealistic -- I'd like to get down to 125 possibly 120 by May. But what am I doing wrong here!?? Anyone else have these issues?

- In need of guidance =/

Perhaps it's not "weight loss" you need then....try strength training for building lean muscle and toning up.
    Just because the scale hasn't moved, doesn't mean you're not getting anywhere.
  • alicialiken
    alicialiken Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'd like to get rid of some love handles, thin my thighs & slim down the booty (ultimate goals). Working out is not really doing the trick. If I lost those last 5 pounds, perhaps I'll feel like I've accomplished something.

After 2-3 months of hard work, I feel like I've accomplished nothing =/ that's the most frustrating aspect.
  • alicialiken
    Options
    I hadn't thought of increasing my calories but I'll give it a try! Thank you so much for helping.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You're probably also gaining muscle mass...which weighs more than fat. So I bet your clothes are fitting differently and you're looking good even if the scale is telling you things you don't like.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation as you and have been alternating strength training (30 mins) and cardio (30 mins) days. It is taking a while and the scale isn't really going down but last night I realised that my arms are firmer, my legs have definition and, oh joy of joys, my belly "pooch" as they call it here has definitely gotten smaller. It seems to have all hit in the last week - even the lover noticed.

So I advise hiding the scale, lifting heavy weights and carrying on with the calories you have while eating around 50% - 75% of your exercise calories back.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Take photos and compare them. The scale only tells part of the story. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore

1310 calories seems really low, too. You're really young... you should have a better metabolism than I do, and I was around 1500 to lose a half pound a week. Make sure you're getting plenty of protein. MFP defaults to 15% which is really low. Aim for at least 25%. And strength train, lifting as heavy as possible.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    You should have a look at Lorina's blog.
    She is an MFP member and I think you might be able to relate to her.
    Blog: http://www.isthisbliss.com
    MFP profile: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/LorinaLynn
  • steach
    steach Posts: 10
    Options
    Muscle weights so much more than fat. I have a two size difference at the same weight. The difference is muscle from committed fitness and fat from sitting on the couch. Also, look to a low glycemic diet. Insuline resistance keep your cells from releasing fat! Check out research on safflower oil to help, too! Good luck.
  • alicialiken
    Options
    Take photos and compare them. The scale only tells part of the story. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore

1310 calories seems really low, too. You're really young... you should have a better metabolism than I do, and I was around 1500 to lose a half pound a week. Make sure you're getting plenty of protein. MFP defaults to 15% which is really low. Aim for at least 25%. And strength train, lifting as heavy as possible.

Thank you! Your pictures are very inspirational!!
  • fuzz_pawz
    Options
    I'd like to get rid of some love handles, thin my thighs & slim down the booty (ultimate goals). Working out is not really doing the trick. If I lost those last 5 pounds, perhaps I'll feel like I've accomplished something.

After 2-3 months of hard work, I feel like I've accomplished nothing =/ that's the most frustrating aspect.

That's what I mean...maybe it's not "fat loss" you need...but more "muscle toning"
  • xosmsox
    xosmsox Posts: 119
    Options
    You're probably also gaining muscle mass...which weighs more than fat. So I bet your clothes are fitting differently and you're looking good even if the scale is telling you things you don't like.

A lb of feathers weighs the same as a lb of bricks. Muscle is just tighter and more attractive looking than fat. But a lb is a lb is a lb. muscle doesn't weigh more. It just takes up less space.
  • Rosemarose
    Rosemarose Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    bump. on the same boat.