i keep loosing 2lb then gaining it back :(

Options
for the last month everytime i loose 2lbs the week alter i gain it back without changing anything that im doing!
its so annoying has i only have about 5-10lbs left to loose!
anyone else have this happen to them?
what did you change?

thanks

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i have had the same thing happen to me, never could figure it out. i loose one week, then up the next.. it's a back and forth battle!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Maybe that's your body's way of telling you it wants to stay around that weight - try changing your goal loss to only 0.5lb per week, when you are so near goal your body can't support 2lb week losses. your bmr / maintenance cals will be lower now you weigh less so you can't have 1000 cal deficit without eating too little.

Also try switching up your workouts, focus more on strength training to lose inches rather than cardio to lose lbs / burn cals :-)
  • LauriesTrying2BeFit
    Options
    Maybe that's your body's way of telling you it wants to stay around that weight - try changing your goal loss to only 0.5lb per week, when you are so near goal your body can't support 2lb week losses. your bmr / maintenance cals will be lower now you weigh less so you can't have 1000 cal deficit without eating too little.

iv already changed it recently to 1lb a week so i was wondering if this was the reason! ill give it another month then lower it again thanks :)
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh, last week I finally lost 1.5lbs after not losing for 2 months...I hit 135 last Saturday morning. This morning I was 140. So freaking frustrating!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options

iv already changed it recently to 1lb a week so i was wondering if this was the reason! ill give it another month then lower it again thanks :)

Good idea see how it goes for a while, your body could still be adjusting if you have only recently changed cals.
    You look fantastic in your latest pic so don't worry even if you don't lose any more !
  • TheAnie
    TheAnie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't count 2lb gains. =/ My weight is always somewhere between 144-146. I don't consider the days I'm 146 a gain, I just consider it part of my normal range.

If you want to lose those and keep them off you'll need to change your routine. Either how much you are eating, what you are eating, or what exercise you are doing. And I have to agree with the comment that you look awesome.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I've heard it said that when you only have a little to lose. 10 to 15 lbs. Your settings should be at 1/2 pound a week. I sitll have 30 to lose so I haven't tried it yet. For 30 pounds to lose it's 1 pound a week. I will try it when I get there.
  • gollyitsmolly
    Options
    2 lbs could be normal water fluctuations. Congratulations on all you've accomplished! It sound cliche but try not to obsess over the number, stress hormones stall metabolism too. Look at where you can clean up your nutrition and maybe incorporate a new type of workout (i.e. HIIT, plyos, training for an event, a group ex class) to rev up the furnace a bit!
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    What's the big deal? You are at the maintenance level.
    Decrease the calories intake a little bit or increase exercises.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates up to 5 (and in some cases up to 10) pounds a day, due to normal bodily functions. Drink 2 cups of water and jump on a scale, you just gained a pound. Go to the bathroom, now you've lost a pound. And on and on. That's why I believe in a 10 pound goal range. I also believe in tracking body fat over tracking scale weight. I weigh well over my original goal weight, which was itself way over my supposed "healthy" range according to BMI, but I'm stronger, I have more endurance, and less body fat now than I did 10 years ago when I weighed 35 pounds less than I do now. Body weight is meaningless.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    for the last month everytime i loose 2lbs the week alter i gain it back without changing anything that im doing!
    its so annoying has i only have about 5-10lbs left to loose!
    anyone else have this happen to them?
    what did you change?

thanks

I can't tell you why you're gaining and losing the same 2 lbs, but seeing how close you are to your goal weight, you should be eating fairly close to maintenance... and like previously suggested, changing to .5 lb loss. It's hard to lose those last few pounds but just keep playing with the numbers until you find what is right for you. I had to eat at 200 below maintenance to drop the last 5 lbs...
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    2 lbs could be normal water fluctuations. Congratulations on all you've accomplished! It sound cliche but try not to obsess over the number, stress hormones stall metabolism too. Look at where you can clean up your nutrition and maybe incorporate a new type of workout (i.e. HIIT, plyos, training for an event, a group ex class) to rev up the furnace a bit!

I agree with the above quote. My once of month throws me off. Try to shake things up on your metabolism and eat more fruits and vegetables in your diet and see what happens. Good luck! I am in the same boat -right with ya.
  • JessicaGray2107
    JessicaGray2107 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Unless you have consumed like 10,000 calories, you probably haven't gained 2 lbs. One pound of weight gain would equal you consuming your normal daily intake plus an extra 3500 caloies because one lb is 3500 calories. It's probably water or muscle. Don't be so hard on yourself if you are sticking to your normal diet, and it has worked so far!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    It's called eating and crapping.
  • ozo27
    ozo27 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    omg this is so the forum for me, Ive been going through the same thing. After plateu-ing for like 3months, I got motivated to start logging again on MFP, I dropped 3 lbs in 2 weeks, but now I've gained it all back. Then again when I looked at my journals for the week I think I understand why. Have you tried taking a close look at your in takes? Please keep me posted you all, I am struggling with losing those last 10 lbs aaargggghhh!!!
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    That is me every time I go down 10 lbs, except for with a 4 lb difference. When I first started I would bounce from 178 to 182, then when I got down to 168, I would go from there to 172, that went on for like a month...NOW I'm stuck at 158 to 162... Can't wait to get past this mini plateau, because every time I finally do, I end up losing 5lbs really fast. It's definitely interesting. Good luck to you!! =)
  • mlang1955
    mlang1955 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I suggest you change your goal to 1/2 pound per week. I joined MFP on 17 Jan of this year with an initial goal of 10 pounds. My ultimate goal was for a total loss of 15 pounds, however, wanted to reevaluate things after I lost the first 10 pounds. Well, in 30 days I have lost 9 pounds. It has come off much quicker than my goal of 1/2 per week.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I've heard it said that when you only have a little to lose. 10 to 15 lbs. Your settings should be at 1/2 pound a week. I sitll have 30 to lose so I haven't tried it yet. For 30 pounds to lose it's 1 pound a week. I will try it when I get there.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I can't really say much without seeing your diary but whenever I hit a plateau, I would do a refeed or tweek my deficit by a 100 for the last 5lbs. This is where exercise gives you that little push.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Unless you have consumed like 10,000 calories, you probably haven't gained 2 lbs. One pound of weight gain would equal you consuming your normal daily intake plus an extra 3500 caloies because one lb is 3500 calories. It's probably water or muscle. Don't be so hard on yourself if you are sticking to your normal diet, and it has worked so far!

sigh... Why do people like to point out that it takes 3500 calories to put on a pound of fat, and then proceed to tell someone it might be muscle instead, like it doesn't ALSO take 3000 calories (roughly) to add a pound of muscle?

tigerpalm.jpg