NEW WITH ISSUES

Options
Hi everyone, well let me tell you a little about myself. Im 34 years young married for 5 years (been together total19 years)but still very much in love. I have two handsome boys ages 14&15 and very athletic.So far so good huh well im 5 feet even weighing 168 mainly around my mid section. I have always stuggled with my weight as a little girl in middle school i never weighed under 130. I quit smoking about 2 years ago and gained 25 pounds, before i quit smoking i was weighing 146. My goal weight is 140,but i have this nasty binge eating that comes like twice a month sometimes it last 1-2 days and others last 1 1/2 week i never know. My weakness is ICECREAM love rocky road. I dont understand it i crave junk that i normally wouldnt eat like pies, cookies, potatoechips,hardcandy and candy bars. And i eat them until i want to puke.They taste good as im eating them but its not satisfying me its like its never enough. After the episode is over looking at that type of food makes me sick to my stomach until another episode. Im sorry to let it all out like that but i guess its easy when im bingeing right now:embarassed:

Replies

• sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I have a love affair with Rocky Road Ice cream myself........always has been my favorite....................................if you find the answer.....let me know...
  • jude716
    jude716 Posts: 11
    Options
    I made a deal with myself. I can eat anything I want, as long as I log it. It has really helped me even out my food intake. It takes the guilt away, which often fuels binging. Good luck!
  • godsgrl
    godsgrl Posts: 49
    Options
    I dealt with this for years and finally found freedom, oddly enough, when I quit dieting. Food restriction makes it worse. Restricting quantity doesn't seem to bother me as badly but when I start leaving out foods (i.e. fat, carbs, dairy, etc), I get into trouble. I'm don't know why the "No" sets off such powerful rebellion in my psyche, but for some crazy reason it does.

I've just learned to have fun with food and not sweat it, to do what I need to do for my health AND my sanity. You've got to find what works for you. If you are binging, something is off somewhere. If it gets worse, you know you're on the wrong track. Look at this as a great time to experiment with yourself to find out what makes you happy! I pray you figure it out soon. In the midst of a binge is a terrible place to be. :flowerforyou:
  • rbeglen
    rbeglen Posts: 37
    Options
    Hello there,

I don't want to seem pushy or mean or too nosy but I think you should look into talking to someone about your problem. People may not think it is serious, but it really is. I would be glad to talk to you anytime, and help you find someone to talk to if you'd like. You might have an eating disorder that is just the same as anorexia or bulimia. If you're comfortable with it, send me a msg privately. And good 4 u, for letting it all out. If you don't get help with it you might not be able to lose the weight.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    What's working for me with the binging (for now anyway) is knowing that I can have a little of what I want, and there's always going to more the next day or the day after, etc. I've replaced ice cream with frozen yogurt which comes in some AMAZING flavors. Right now in my freezer I have Black Forest, last week I had caramel chocolate. One cup (2 servings) is 220 calories and 5 grams of fat. Add a banana or a few strawberries, and it feels like quite a sinful treat for a lot less calories than a banana split. :smile:

It's so hard to break the habit of binging...the drive to do it can be so strong. You have to try to convince yourself that the extra food will not make anything better- in fact it's going to do the exact opposite- make everything worse. If you overeat, don't use that as an excuse to go on a binge and eat everything in site. It's a lot better to have eaten an extra 500 calories than to go nuts and eat thousands. Everyone slips up, but you have to move past it. Every day is a new chance.

:flowerforyou:

Binge eating is definitely an eating disorder if it's accompanied by feelings of having no control- I think a lot of us suffer from it, but ultimately, you can control it with practice and dedication (at least I'm hoping). :smile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, the best website ever. You will love this site, if you don't already. I love it here. This site is so supportive, helpful, motivational, easy to use, and everyone here is so nice and friendly. I just wanted to wish you a lot of success on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • 150lbs2go
    150lbs2go Posts: 104
    Options
    Welcome :happy: