I eat something...and my stomach BALLOONS!

Options
hey!

I've lost30lbs so far (yay me!) and I wake up in the morning feeling nice and small and slim.
Then I eat something and look like a whale!! My stomach just balloons.

I've tried to change my foods! I've cut out bread and pasta and fizzy drinks. But I honestly dnt know what else i can do

Someone help me!! Xx

Replies

• Laner07
    Laner07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think it's probably a psychological issue.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I was thinking this as well.

I would suggest initially that you measure your abdomen upon waking up and after using the restroom. Go eat, and measure it again.
  • mfpseven
    mfpseven Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I heard slight gluten intolerance can do this maybe ask your doctor about it
  • Amccordford
    Options

I would suggest initially that you measure your abdomen upon waking up and after using the restroom. Go eat, and measure it again.

I would suggest this too. Do your clothes suddenly feel really tight? Maybe you have an allergy to something.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options

bang on.... that is what i have heard from people i know with a gluten issue... you may want to go gt the blood work and see if that what it is?
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Your stomach does expand when you put something in it. It's called being human.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Have you tracked to see if this is related to certain types of foods? Dairy? Wheat etc? Might be an intolerance problem especially if gas bubbles form. Hope that helps.
  • JLove2Zumba
    Options
    No way its not imagined, Me too.. I feel like 300 pounds after I eat, Not something like a bar or a piece of fruit, but after a good 300-400 calorie meal, I feel like an orca, and My stomach proturdes!
  • br2012
    br2012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Perhaps too many processed sugars?
  • deegarcia19
    Options
    same thing happens to me, i always look smallest in the morning. as the day goes on, my stomach just baloons...not sure why either
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    hey!

I've lost30lbs so far (yay me!) and I wake up in the morning feeling nice and small and slim.
    Then I eat something and look like a whale!! My stomach just balloons.

I've tried to change my foods! I've cut out bread and pasta and fizzy drinks. But I honestly dnt know what else i can do

Someone help me!! Xx

It's not psychological, it's actually quite common to feel bloated after eating a bunch of carbs. It doesn't mean you are getting fat. It's a long process to explain it, but if you do some google searching, Lyle McDonald explains why this happens.
  • texastumbleweed1
    Options
    Your stomach does expand when you put something in it. It's called being human.

I agree with this, my does same thing and later on back to normal.
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of either a gluten intolerance, or possibly lactose intolerance. It's a typical complaint from people with these issues! I would suggest measuring before and after a meal to see how much of a difference, and if it is indeed a significant difference then discuss with your doctor. Also let him know of any other effects (gas, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, etc if there are any!)
  • AshleyNicole8686
    AshleyNicole8686 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Mine was doing this and I found out I am lactose intolerant. Maybe try that!
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My stomach is normally super flat, almost toned even, but the second I eat anything, I get weird stuck out belly. I hate it. I don't drink soda, hardly ever eat super heavy meals pasta/etc... I have tried just eating smaller meals more often, that seems to help me, and I drink a TON of water now.
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My Mom has the same problem. Her stomach blows up like she is 9 months pregnant. They haven't been able to find the cause. I hope you figure out yours.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options

This. Get a food allergen/sensitivity test. I found out I have no 'allergies' but I do have sensitivities to wheat (gluten), whey, bananas, and egg yolks. When I eat any of these I can expect mild to moderate digestive distress (bloating, gas, burbling sounds from my gut, etc), but this happens worst w/ wheat. I literally can look preggo.

Going gluten free at home wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought. It was actually quite easy. Now I know that, while I can have these foods once ever 5 days or so, I should expect some bloating. I can still enjoy everything I want to, now and then, I just don't have them every day because I can't deal with that (and inflammation caused by food sensitivities can lead to a whole host of issues like joint pain, fatigue (both of which I feel for SURE), and weight gain or difficulty losing weight.)

Def get checked out! Simple bloodtest. Depending on your insurance it may cost you some bucks, but to me it was def worth it.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Definilty not! some thinner people (maybe heavier ones too) just have that problem, I work with a lot of girls (dancer) And most of us are on the thin-average side and you can definilty tell if someone just ate a big meal when they are on stage. If I eat alot, I look pregnant, its strange... also I find your comment kinda rude :/
  • sugar66
    Options
    I have someting called I.B.S (irratable bowel syndrome) which means certain foods can cause quite substantial bloating, this comes down to food intolarance, my advice would be to check with your Dr and also look at your food diary see if the bloating is worse with certain food.