Devastated I have put on weight

Options
Hey so I am kind of a newbie to this at least in posting when a couple of years ago I was at my heaviest, just over 200lbs at 5ft9, I worked really hard and by summer last year I was 155lbs and looked so much better although I still hadn't reached my target weight. The problem is I moved away to study in September last year, with homesickness ( comfort eating) and the nature of my course, I never have time to sit down rather I graze on awful snacks all day I have put on 13lbs.

Bringing me up to about 168lbs currently, I am completely gutted I knew I was putting on weight but didn't realise it was that much, I hadn't weighed myself since September and literally burst into tears when I saw that number, I had tryed so hard to get rid of it in the first place I am so disappointed in myself.

I am starting afresh though, as of today I have set a new goal weight of 149lbs, this is the weight I want to be for the summer. I just hope I have the will power and energy to follow it through.

Just wondering if anyine else has felt disheartened by weight gain after loss?

Replies

• annabellesmile
    Options
    Snap. I lost all the weight I wanted and since Christmas have not been so sensible and have put 10lbs back on. I have a great new wardrobe of clothes and now they are beginning to feel rather snug! I refuse to wear clothes I use to wear so I need to remove these extra lbs. Today is the new start. If you have photos of yourself at your new weight that should help you feel like shifting the lbs again. All the best. We need to stick at it now. Maintaining was always going to be hard I knew that but it has to be done.
  • bellavie23
    bellavie23 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Im pretty anyone whos goal is to lose weight and maintain, it hurts seeing it go back the other direction, but just remember, even at 168 for 5'9, that is not bad, I know I am suppose to weigh max at 160 for 5'8, so you are still close if not in your healthy range. You have already found what your problem was to cause the weight gain, now you just have something to work towards to say you didnt do it just once, but twice you kicked butt and got where you wanted to be :) Good luck
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Ok. You thought that there would come a magic day where you could go back to eating the way you did before you lost your weight. Well, sorry to tell you, that day will never come. To lose weight forever, you have to change forever. You have to eat accordingly forever, you have to exercise forever. Once you hit your goal, you still have to log your food, count your calories and hold yourself accountable for your actions and decisions. It has been scientifically proven that for a least a year after you hit goal, your body will continually try to return to your starting weight, because it takes that long for your body to adjust to your "new" weight.

I wish you the best of luck losing the weight you put back on, but I really hope you are able to make the changes necessary to succeed in the long run.
  • Determined523
    Options
    Kind of a difft situation but I was starting gaining weight a few years ago and got up to about 175. So I tried to eat better and go to the gym and I was actually looking nice, getting firm, losing weight...exc.

Just as I was getting happy with myself, I found out I was pregnant. I had a hard pregnancy with gestational diabetes and really high blood pressure which caused me to gain almost 70 lbs.

I lost about 30 lbs. within 2 weeks from water weight and stuff and can't lose the rest of it. My son is 9 months old now.

I will suggest getting wheat thin crackers and raw veggies like carrots and whatever you like, oranges, fruit and packing yourself healthy snacks. I know it takes some getting used to but it is helping me and you really do have to log every single thing you eat. It gives you a reality check when you are forced to look at it.

Best of luck.
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i went through the same kind of thing - i lost over 30 lbs for my wedding a couple years ago and worked hard for years to keep it off, i was exercising 5 days a week at minimum, strength training two of those days - doing it like it was my job! but because it *wasn't* my job, it gradually came back and i for some reason accepted that. then i suffered a loss recently and really stopped taking care of myself, when i finally got on the scale i couldn't believe my eyes -- i had gained about 10 lbs in 2 months. it doesn't mean you've failed, though, it just means you temporarily lost sight of how important it is to incorporate healthy habits *every day*

it was a real wake up call. i'm grateful that i never made it back to my starting weight, but i know i have a lot of hard work to put in to get to my goal weight. we'll both do it! just takes dedication -- for the rest of our lives -- and healthy changes in our habits for life.

feel free to add me as a friend - we have similar goals.
  • Anamatronic
    Anamatronic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. I know I am just going to have to do it all over again. I am going to be so firm with myself and if I feel homesick from now on, I'm going to go for a walk instead of eating.

Such an unhealthy habit to get into but I have always been that way inclined, to eat when feeling down, at least now that I have acknowledged it I'm hoping I can manage it better. Never knew that about your body wanting to return to it's original weight!!!!
    Not this time thought I am going for it this time and for good!
  • lovediets
    lovediets Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I gained almost all the weight I had lost at the end of last summer and over Christmas. I know how you feel. Try not to be down! We can do this together!!!!
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    if I feel homesick from now on, I'm going to go for a walk instead of eating.

maybe this is also an opportunity to make new friends where you now live - through exercise classes or MFP and shared goals...that would help with both your goals to be healthier as well as your homesickness.