A vegetarian transitioning to vegan... Anyone else?

Options
It has worked very well so far - down 47 pounds - just wondering if anyone else here is doing the same to lose weight... And for so many other reasons. Nothing with a face, nothing that had a mother, right?
;)

Replies

• MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    health reasons got me in.

Check out this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/45-happy-herbivores
  • CosmicBella
    CosmicBella Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have always been vegetarian (for the animals) BUT I went fully vegan for two reasons... first, for my health. I'm a cancer survivor and was worried about the hormones and chemicals in milk and other dairy products, as well as eggs...and secondly, because of the gross mistreatment of animals in most factory farm situations. Veganism has tremendous health benefits, but it can also cause detriment if you aren't smart about your choices (read deficiencies, etc.) Check out the "Happy Herbivores" group that Matt suggested and there is also another group on here called 'Team Vegan.' http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/63-team-vegan
  • LEWilsonAuthor
    LEWilsonAuthor Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just went completely vegan two weeks ago (from what I would call borderline vegetarian. I ate dairy and a little chicken and seafood), and I feel great! I'm down 5lbs without even trying. My main motivation is also factory farming and what they're doing to our food these days. My husband has also gone vegan and I think it's the best thing we've ever done. We eat healthier now than we ever have. :)
  • cmhickey616
    cmhickey616 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I went from omnivore to vegan about 5 months ago and it was probably the best decision I ever made :) Health reasons initially got me, but now I'm in it for myself, the animals, and the environment. Down almost 25 pounds since then, dropped my cholesterol about 60 points, and have never felt better. I definitely recommend the Happy Herbivores group that VeganBella was talking about!
  • Krahn1984
    Krahn1984 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Health reasons for me - I found that meat, eggs, dairy, excessive amounts of refined sugar and gluten intensifies my flare ups. When I'm eating vegan and gluten free, I have no inflammation.

I read the book Eating Animals and that made me lose my appetite for eating animals.

Just a vegetarian for now. I'm still working on becoming a vegan. It is so hard for me to give up dairy - I love cheese and baked goods. But I start thinking about the production of eggs and dairy. I feel so guilty for eating those things and then it turns into a pathetic circle of, "ugh - I feel guilty and miserable, why am I eating this? why does this taste so good? another flare up - ouch!"

So I'm usually a vegan Monday-Friday and a vegetarian on the weekends. So hard to eat vegan at restaurants. And I'm a weak person when it comes to food.
  • Pawness
    Pawness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Vegan Bella - Thanks so much - what compelling reasons! I am so glad that you found your way to the vegan diet - I just finished reading "The China Study" and it certainly does support your choice. Bravo.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Weight loss got me to drop all animal products. I'm a student and good quality meat is expensive... I don't need the animal fat in my diet! Worked for me too, I lost my first 20lb by just switching to the vegan diet. I feel more even-tempered and less stressed since cutting out dairy too!
  • Pawness
    Pawness Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It is amazing, isn't it? I really feel like I am generally so much healthier without the dairy products. I haven't eaten meat in years so that is no big deal, I can't imagine eating meat - it would be like eating my cat or my own foot! But dairy has always been a jump-off point into binging - it's good in so many ways to let it go.
  • GinnieC100
    GinnieC100 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I too haven't eaten meat in years, 32 in fact. In January I did a 21 day vegan challenge. Felt absolutely great! I didn't realize how great it was until I went back to eating dairy and eggs after the 21 days. Will definitely do another 21 days, and who knows it may last a lot longer.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    My eating habits are what I would call "near vegan" and it's been a gradual process. Two things that give me pause: Honey. Honey? Really? I never knew vegans don't eat honey. Also, fish. My 3 servings of fish each week provide Omega 3 fats. I realize that there are plants with Omega 3 fats but according to ClevelandClinic.org "The form of omega-3 in plants is called alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Although ALA does provide health benefits, its has a lesser effect on cardiovascular disease risk than EPA and DHA."