Trusting Dr. Oz?

Options
2»

Replies

• MarilynGrube
    MarilynGrube Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    LOL I ordered Rapsberry Ketones too.... Call me gullible, but with almost a 100 lbs to lose I will try a supplement or two. Nothing major.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Is he pushing CLA now? Last week it was raspberry ketones LMAO
  • bek416
    bek416 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I was just talking about this this week with clients and friends - this man is pushing so many supplements, if I buy them all, I will be out a grand a month AND STILL BE FAT. It's irritating - great that there are natural cures (because I actually do believe in holistic options) but you have to choose the ones that really have proven benefits (or benefits that you personally have experienced) and that you truly need. Bioavailability is a huge thing - many vitamins go right through you.

I have to keep the channel on something different or I will obsess about "today's pill". He used to be good about providing information about the body - but now he's just a daily issue of Woman's World (the magazine with a new diet on it every single week) - it makes me crazy!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Bump.... I started taking CLA this week...no side affects so far. Wondering what some people may think or know about CLA.

Studies showing little or no effect of CLA supplementation

Beuker F, Haak H, Schwietz H. , editors. CLA and body styling. Symposium: Vitamine und Zusatzstoffe; Jena (Thhr.) 1999

Kreider RB, Ferreira MP, Greenwood M, Wilson M, Almada AL. Effects of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation during resistance training on body composition, bone density, strength, and selected hematological markers. J Strength Cond Res. 2002;16(3):325–34

Malpuech-Brugere C, Verboeket-van de Venne WP, Mensink RP, Arnal MA, Morio B, Brandolini M, Saebo A, Lassel TS, Chardigny JM, Sebedio JL, Beaufrere B. Effects of two conjugated linoleic Acid isomers on body fat mass in overweight humans. Obes Res. 2004;12(4):591–8

Medina EA, Horn WF, Keim NL, Havel PJ, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ, Erickson KL. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on circulating leptin concentrations and appetite. Lipids. 2000;35(7):783–8.

Salas-Salvado J, Marquez-Sandoval F, Bullo M. Conjugated linoleic acid intake in humans: a systematic review focusing on its effect on body composition, glucose, and lipid metabolism. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2006;46(6):479–88.

Von Loeffelholz C. Influence of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) supplementation on body composition and strength in bodybuilders. Jena (Thnr) 1999

Wang YW, Jones PJ. Conjugated linoleic acid and obesity control: efficacy and mechanisms. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2004;28(8):941–55

Zambell KL, Keim NL, Van Loan MD, Gale B, Benito P, Kelley DS, Nelson GJ. Conjugated linoleic acid supplementation in humans: effects on body composition and energy expenditure. Lipids. 2000;35(7):777–82
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I think Dr. Oz went to the same school as Dr. Phil - I wouldn't take much of what he says to heart
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Well I know a little about L-Carnitine because my daughter was born with a deficiency in it. With a lot of supplements, such as B12, it's a myth and placebo effect. For example with B12, is said good for energy and metabolism, this is true. If you are lacking B12 already then B12 supplements will work wonders, but if you aren't lacking it, adding any extra to your body won't do anything.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I did like him, but I feel like he's a sell out. He promotes "quick fixes." There was one episode he was promoting a pill that was a hunger suppressant because it swelled in your stomach. The bad thing was that it could swell up in your throat and kill you.

I have seen cool episodes with different healthy snacks under 200 calories and that seems harmless because they were all homemade.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I've never personally watched him - but I've read a couple of articles and heard enough about him to know that I don't want to trust what he says. I think he pushes a lot of "diet" myths that have been proven untrue. I think he's doing a disservice to people who are really trying to lose weight and get healthier.

And really? I'm sorry, but his idea of a spike day is 1400 calories?

Give me a freaking break.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I used to love Dr. Oz and even dvr'd his shows when I wasn't home but lately he seems to advertise 3 or more different supplements each show. I haven't taken any of the supplements because he endorses so many, I wouldn't know where to start. I did like the episode with Shawn T, mainly because I do the Insanity DVD's and was happy to see other people "suffering" through his workouts like I do!
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Bek is right! Vitamins and supplements do have great benefit, but you have to take the right ones. Most of the supplements that you find at a Walgreens or grocery are not effective because many of them have harmful ingredients in the binding. For example, coal tar, which a) causes them to be cheap, and b) causes them to not dissolve properly in your body. Which means you are not getting the nutrition you want from that vitamin.

I work for a natural supplement company called Shaklee. I would encourage you to compare different natural and holistic brands. There are a lot of good ones out there. They do tend to be more expensive, but they work much better. Check out different brands to see if they have scientific studies showing that they actually help you feel healthier. Or talk to your friends, and see if any of them recommend any good natural supplements.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Hi all, so, I've recently read an article from Dr. Oz http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/5-fat-busters-5-body-types?page=4#copy that I stumbled upon from Pinterest. For me, at least, it seems like I can take the supplements of CLA and L-Carnitine. But I'm really nervous about it. They both have their benefits, but I'm reserved about taking any supplements at all. Is there anyone who has taken these who could give me more information? I am thinking on buying the supplements from Fruitful Yields, but I just want to be sure first. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Specifically about the CLA and the L-Carnitine-

They aren't going to hurt your health, but unless you're deficient in both for some reason, I see no real advantage to supplementing with them. They cost money and you might be better off spending that money elsewhere. However, that's a personal choice.

I think for me it really depends on what you think they are going to do for you. WHY do you want to take them? Do you think they'll help you lose weight? Do you think they'll work some other sort of magic? Odds are, some of their supposed magic is due to the placebo effect. There might be some health benefits that I don't understand. But if it were me, I'd do some more research. I'd never take Dr. Oz' word for it.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz?

quack_duck_postcard-p239982805623049300z8iat_400.jpg
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    OP: Don't waste your money on supplements (except perhaps a protein supplement). You don't need them to drop weight. Just stick to eating well and exercising, and the weight will come off.

Also, avoid TV doctors like the plague. They are there for the money and will spew nonsense for ratings or to sell stuff.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz is a joke.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    What about that doctor on Fox? Is he any good? He seems to be.

FOX network...? don't get me started.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    One word: no.
  • Lindamack5987
    Options
    I purchased Raspberry Keytones but my daughter did research and found it would affect your blood sugar and being diabetic I decided not to take them. Have not tried CLA.