Cooking Supplies

Options
I think I am going to pick up some new cooking supplies today. I would love to hear suggestions of what everyone thinks would be good to get!

Replies

• mderr90
    mderr90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Please! I am going soon :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Can you be more specific? There are too many areas of the kitchen to focus on to give suggestions... Personally I purchase restaurant-grade and nothing else
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have one of the egg pans that fir 1 egg perfectly...its non stick and I can pretty much leave it and it cooks perfectly without me having to watch it or scramble it more...
  • mderr90
    Options
    I personally love to bake but i am trying to cook any home more--simple dishes. I just need the basics and wondering if you have good suggestions that everyone should have in their kitchen :)
  • goingmodern
    goingmodern Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A George Forman grill or stovetop grill pan. In my opinion, no kitchen should be without one of these!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Do you mean groceries? Or cooking implements?

If you are talking pots and pans, I prefer to avoid anything with a synthetic coating. I prefer enameled cast iron. My preference is Le Creuset cookware which is pricey but has a manufacturer's lifetime warranty and is built to last. I love my 12 inch skillet and Dutch Oven.

I also like stainless steel cookware (All-Clad looks good).

If you need spatulas and mixing/turning devices, go with silicon ones for the stovetop instead of plastic (waaayyy more durable and they clean so easily).

The next cooking tools I personally plan to buy are grill baskets to make grilling veggies easier.

A few good knives is also important to have around.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    good knives, a wok, a dutch oven, cast iron skillet.
  • alexbowser
    Options
    If you're just starting out, basic nonstick cookware is good. I love Caphalon pans, but they're pricey. If you buy something basic and treat it right, it can last awhile.
    Crockpots are great, and there are a million recipes on the forum to use.
    I use a 9in sauté pan more than anything else honestly.
    A nice glass casserole dish would be good for baking.
    I'd just suggest starting with a couple essentials and building over time.
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    A good kitchen scale, I found out about portion control when I started weighing my food. I was super sizing
    everything I ate.
  • Weezieishness
    Weezieishness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I recently went on a big shop and stocked up on great things for cooking lots of dishes. Brown rice, wholegrain pasta, eggs, some chicken and tuna, and a selection of vegetables allow for numerous dinner ideas. I just mix and match different things and maybe add some kind of sauce.

I also have wholegrain bread for making sandwiches to take to work. I sometimes have salmon sandwiches, so I keep some salmon slices in the fridge.

Also low fat milk. If you're going to be doing some baking, maybe some wholewheat flour and brown sugar could be a good idea to keep handy.
  • mderr90
    Options
    Great Suggestions--Just to be clear I am looking for cookware (pans, machines. etc.) Keep the suggestions coming! :)
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Perfect Portions Scale!!

http://www.perfectportionsscale.com/

I LOVE this scale! You can punch in the number for a food item and then it will display calories as you're adding the item to your zeroed bowl. :) I bought it at Best Buy, and happened to get it on sale, plus a rewards certificate and only spent $15. I use it every day. Very cool!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Do you mean groceries? Or cooking implements?

If you are talking pots and pans, I prefer to avoid anything with a synthetic coating. I prefer enameled cast iron. My preference is Le Creuset cookware which is pricey but has a manufacturer's lifetime warranty and is built to last. I love my 12 inch skillet and Dutch Oven.

I also like stainless steel cookware (All-Clad looks good).

If you need spatulas and mixing/turning devices, go with silicon ones for the stovetop instead of plastic (waaayyy more durable and they clean so easily).

The next cooking tools I personally plan to buy are grill baskets to make grilling veggies easier.

A few good knives is also important to have around.

Ouch--you sound like me. My wife broke some old casserole dishes and I keep lusting after the LeCrueset. They did have a no-name brand that looked pretty darn close (and made in France) at Costco, but it was too big (6 quart). I just can't afford the real thing right now.

I did just get a new Global Santoku knife, but that was with christmas gift money.

For me, Sur la Table is like a crackhouse.