HELP HELP HELP

Options
so i have started to work out and i am definately not in the best of shape right now so i was wondering if it is alright that i do 15 to 20 minute workouts instead of doing 30 or more. today i did 25 minutes and then i might get on my bike later for like 15 to 20 minutes more. Is this ok or should i be pushing myself hard to reach that 30 minutes all at one time?

Replies

• 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Hi

When i started 10mins on exercise bike was to much for me

I broke it down, into sessions 10 x 3 to make up my 30mins

Now i can an hour plus, all about building up :)
  • MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Any length of time is better than nothing! With the more time that passes, your endurance will increase and you will be able to push yourself longer and longer! I used to do 15-20 minutes of working out a few times a day and now can do a couple hours at a time!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Start with whatever you can do! 10 minutes walking is better than 10 on the couch. When that becomes easier, add a minute or two and work up to a longer workout. That's wonderful that you're doing what's right for your body :)
  • truecountrygirl
    truecountrygirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    so even tho im not doing it all at one time i should still see progress?
  • cruiser3004
    cruiser3004 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    At this early stage any amount of time spent working out is calories burnt. However as you progress 30 mins is really the minimum to see any fitness (cardio) improvement.

Disclaimer: This is based on reading & personal experience & I am definately not a personal trainer or qualified to give fitness advice.:smile:
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Start with whatever you can do! 10 minutes walking is better than 10 on the couch. When that becomes easier, add a minute or two and work up to a longer workout. That's wonderful that you're doing what's right for your body :)

Yes! ^^THIS^^
  • small4me
    small4me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    so even tho im not doing it all at one time i should still see progress?

So long as you are consistent, meaning that you are trying 3 - 6 times/week ~~ You will notice improvement, even at 10/15 min sessions through out the day.

Keep moving and you will notice a difference in endurance and breathing and moving. You are great and praise yourself for starting!:happy:
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well, when I started, I walked for 15 minutes very slow. Now I can do 30-45 minutes. Even if you get up and do jumping jacks for the commercial break. it is better than nothing. We have stairs in our house. It's a split level. I started going up and down them over and over for just 5 minutes. I was dying. Or when I would make the kids hot coca in the microwave. The water cooks for 2 minutes, I would walk around the kitchen and living room. or jog in place. You got a built in timer! I am also notorious for my "bathroom" workouts. The gals at work always laugh at me when I come out and say something like 10 squats done! lol So, every time I would go pee (the more I drank, the more trips I had) I would do 5-10 squats before I left the room. or 10 jumping jacks. I also do calf raises while I brush my teeth, or wash my hands. lol I have 3 kids so some days I have to be creative to get something in. lol I also have a fireplace, and there is a step, like a hearth? not sure of the term. So sometimes I will step up and down it while watching tv.

You mentioned you have farm animals, try walking around the pen a extra time before going back to the house. So jogging to the pen. My Aunts animals are towards the back of the property so it was a long walk to get there. I am assuming it might be that way for you? Also parking farther from the door if possible when you go to a store is good as well. I was the lady driving around and around trying to find the closest spot cuz I didn't want to walk far. lol Totally lazy! Now I park farther and walk, unless it is raining or freezing cold.
  • truecountrygirl
    Options
    thanks Jenn
  • fypspirit
    fypspirit Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You just gotta move. Do what you can and try to add an extra minute or two everyday. Or push yourself just a little harder. You will work up to more time and a faster pace. Baby steps lead to great reward.
  • jiggly7
    jiggly7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    They say you can break it up in 10 min sessions and it all is the same.
    Good luck to you and remember...by the inch it is a cinch, by the yard it's hard:wink:
    I just started exercising a couple of weeks ago after not exercising for over a year and I could totally tell how out of shape I had become. The other day I walked three miles and feel I am becoming stronger everyday. Just stay with it and kick youreself in the butt if you have to-I just keep thinking how happy I would be if I could get into some of my pants that are tight (all my pants except for 2 pair:sad: ) that is what keeps me going, that and I have to get healthier.
    All the best!
  • Vash41288
    Options
    There is no problem at all with breaking it down, When I first started on the bike I could only do ten mins, then after a week moved up to 15 mins etc.. etc..

now I can do over an hour no problem with the resistance high. Just gotta take it one step out of time, no one expects you to do any more then your body will allow at the time. Just keep at it, make it work for you. Good luck :D
  • sarahmargaret12
    Options
    Hi

When i started 10mins on exercise bike was to much for me

I broke it down, into sessions 10 x 3 to make up my 30mins

Now i can an hour plus, all about building up :)

I find it easier to break it up... I eaither do 3 10min sessions or 2 15 min sessions whatever I have time for
  • Vegan_Runner
    Vegan_Runner Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Any work out is better than no work out. If you can only do 10 mins at a time, do 10 mins at a time. As you progress you will be able to do more in each time block. You are doing great keep it up!
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    Well, when I started, I walked for 15 minutes very slow. Now I can do 30-45 minutes. Even if you get up and do jumping jacks for the commercial break. it is better than nothing. We have stairs in our house. It's a split level. I started going up and down them over and over for just 5 minutes. I was dying. Or when I would make the kids hot coca in the microwave. The water cooks for 2 minutes, I would walk around the kitchen and living room. or jog in place. You got a built in timer! I am also notorious for my "bathroom" workouts. The gals at work always laugh at me when I come out and say something like 10 squats done! lol So, every time I would go pee (the more I drank, the more trips I had) I would do 5-10 squats before I left the room. or 10 jumping jacks. I also do calf raises while I brush my teeth, or wash my hands. lol I have 3 kids so some days I have to be creative to get something in. lol I also have a fireplace, and there is a step, like a hearth? not sure of the term. So sometimes I will step up and down it while watching tv.

You mentioned you have farm animals, try walking around the pen a extra time before going back to the house. So jogging to the pen. My Aunts animals are towards the back of the property so it was a long walk to get there. I am assuming it might be that way for you? Also parking farther from the door if possible when you go to a store is good as well. I was the lady driving around and around trying to find the closest spot cuz I didn't want to walk far. lol Totally lazy! Now I park farther and walk, unless it is raining or freezing cold.

^^ This!

Everyone has to start somewhere, but don't try and push yourself too hard right out of the gate. Increase your efforts slowly over time to ensure you don't injure yourself. You'll be amazing at your progress as you go an extra minute or five or ten every week! However, make sure that you are pushing yourself a little bit more each time. You don't want to go too easy and quit too soon, either. You'd only be cheating yourself. It sounds like you are taking the right approach by breaking it into separate sessions so you get in the extra time even if it's not all at the same time. Great job and keep it up!! You'll be at 30 minutes or maybe an hour in no time!!
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I used to work out for 90 minutes a day hard core, then come home and sit on the couch exhausted every day until I went back to the gym.

I did tone up, and I did learn to love the gym and get more energy eventually but I didn't really see a lot of reward for my efforts.

My "exercise program" now consists of multiple three - five minute concentrated "work outs" which might include "vacuuming with attitude".... instead of just vacuuming lazily, really push that vacuum and do some leg lunges or squats while you are pushing....

wiping counters are an opportunity to do arm lunges, the harder you push down the more resistance.... there are lots of ways to just get moving and get those muscles working. Concentrate on finding the muscles underneath and just work them all day in small ways....every time you move is literally an opportunity to work a little harder, stand a little straighter and burn an extra calorie or two......

I'm not saying I'm right... I'm just saying it's what's working for me :)
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    If you can do 15 minutes or so of cardio in high intensity intervals, it is ten times more effective than 30 minutes of straight cardio. Google HIIT
  • vickie28
    vickie28 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Everyone is so right -- little by little and you will be doing great -- I stand to fold clothes -- so I have to been over or do squats to get them out of the basket :) every little movement counts -- evan if u do 5 minutes at diff. time good luck :) just day by day movement by movement :) just keep tracking :)
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    QUOTE From website @ http://www.findthirtyeveryday.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=15 - I knew about this campaign (Australia Govt) but didn't know it had it's own website so going back to check it out.

"The key is to make physical activity a part of your day. Just thirty minutes of moderate intensity physical activity on most, better still all, days is needed for good health. This thirty minutes can be built up in shorter sessions of at least 10 minutes".

"If you can, also enjoy some regular vigorous exercise for extra health and fitness benefits. Vigorous activities include aerobics and running and sports such as soccer and netball. Remember to warm up and cool down. See your doctor first if you have been inactive for some time, or have health problems".

Just move extra each day, and build up as your strength and energy allow you; if it can be fun, all the better in my opinion - like the Wii, dancing, whatever. LIke other posters have said, it is a boost to your metabolism to do several short bursts of exercise daily.

Every step you make is in the right direction :smile:
  • truecountrygirl
    Options
    everyone talks about doing squats but i have yet to find them on here am i missing them or arent they really on here?