PIZZA HELP

Options
13»

Replies

• sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    This is a very low calorie, large serving size, pizza substitute. 116 calories if you don't make the bread. It's not pizza, but it's a soup/stew that is really healthy and tastes like pizza. http://www.food.com/recipe/pizza-stew-148086

Pizza Stew
    1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
    1 bell pepper , diced
    ½ cup chopped onion
    2 garlic cloves , minced
    28 ounces tomatoes , cut up
    2 cups loose-pack frozen broccoli carrots cauliflower mix
    15 ounces pizza sauce or 15 ½ ounces pizza sauce
    1 ½ cups tomato juice
    ½-1 tablespoon oregano
    ½ teaspoon fennel seed , crushed
    6 slices French bread , toasted

Directions:
    1 In a large saucepan cook mushrooms, onion, and garlic until onion is tender.
    2 Stir in undrained tomatoes, frozen vegetables, pizza sauce, tomato juice, oregano, and fennel seed. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
    3 Meanwhile, toast bread under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes.
    4 To serve, ladle the veg mixture into bowls. Top each serving with a slice of toasted bread.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Use wraps...such as this... http://www.warburtons.co.uk/squareishwraps/index.asp

Spread on some tomato puree.
    Add whatever toppings...
    low fat mozzerella!!

Sorted :)
  • Glendda
    Glendda Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the hungrygirl website! : )
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    We have pizzas about once a week here...I use these huge whole wheat pitas (170 cals) and then top it with homemade pizza sauce, lots of veggies, and then about 1 ounce of mozz cheese. Sometimes I add on anchovies or turkey pepperoni for protein, but since I try to avoid processed deli meats like pepperoni, this doesn't happen often. I make 2 at a time, then bring one to work for lunch the next day.

So satisfying - I don't feel like I am missing out on anything at all. For a little bit more calories, I can eat one of my pizzas vs. 1/8 (what a frikken small slice) of a frozen store-bought pizza.
  • ChattyKitten
    ChattyKitten Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    wheat pita bread, pasta sauce,2% cheese and whatever toppings you want

I do this! I grab a whole grain tortilla shell, put on about 2tbs of pizza sauce and 1/4 cup mozzerella cheese. I even cut it into 6 pieces, and drink a bunch of water btwn slices. Makes a great lunch and I feel good b/c its pizza!
    I did the same but w/ salsa and taco cheese, and sprinkled w/ shredded lettuce.

Its ok though to splurge on a piece of normal pizza though! Just plan your day around it :)
  • tradingfoods
    tradingfoods Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    wow that pizza looks great and great job on your weight loss
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You can use thin wheat crust and turkey pepperoni. Turkey pepperoni taste basically the same with half the calories and thin wheat crust has less calories too. You can make it or buy the crusts already made. You can also use lower calorie cheese. Alternatively you can make pizza pasta just use wheat pasta and regular pizza toppings and sauce mixed in. Tastes great and your family will like it
  • truecountrygirl
    truecountrygirl Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    wow what amazing ideas definately will be trying some of these
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Loving these ideas!

I've done the cauliflower crust pizza twice, it's yummy but a lot more work than I prefer. Gonna try some of these easier ones!
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    have 1 slice of pizza with a HUGE salad =)
    get ya full !!
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    I found this recipe for cauliflower crust and can't wait to try it myself!

http://www.recipegirl.com/2012/01/16/cauliflower-crust-hawaiian-pizza/

There are so many varieties of toppings that you can use to make it healthy.

Also, I've used a whole wheat tortilla before and topped it with vegetables and cheese then pop it in the oven and sliced it up like pizza for lunch.