Why am I so hungry for carbs today?

Options
I work out every day for 60 - 75 minutes, mostly strength training (barre work). I've been on a (doctor recommended) 1200 calorie diet (I'm 5'0, still losing at an even pace). I don't feel like I'm depriving myself...in fact, some days I have to snack a little bit more because I haven't reached 1200 yet.

Today I was extremely hungry...but only for carbs! I've never really had such a strong craving for rice or pasta before. Today I had both...and a bagel for breakfast instead of fruit. I went over my calories by about 100, but I'm not too concerned about that.

I guess my question is...is this normal? Is it because I'm working out too much? Or is it just a random thing that happens every once in a while?

Replies

• FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Bump...any ideas? :/ I'm worried my binge today might screw up my weight loss.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I dont think you can work out 'too much' but the more I exercise, the more I want to eat. Which is pretty much why the site recommends eating back your exercise cals. As the more cals you burn, the more energy you're using, so the more you should replace it. Carbs is the macro that gives you energy so it would make sense that you're not eating enough to cover your exercise, which is why your body is craving.

I dont think its random, I think you should eat more to replace your burns.

good luck :flowerforyou:
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It happens. Could be anything. Don't beat yourself up. Go back to your routine tomorrow and be done with it.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    In my experience, cardio always makes me ravenous for carbs. I mostly pole dance & weight train and it doesn't effect me. Only cardio. It's just your body wanting to replace it's glucose stores that you burned up.

Try eating within an hour of your workout. Helps me! :)
  • gemini2267
    gemini2267 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I know for me when it comes to that time of the month, i start to crave more for salty food. also if i did a hard workout, i tend to be hungrier during the day.
  • shellister981
    Options
    I have/had the same problem a couple days ago. Someone had suggested this for me. My calorie count should not exceed 1200 per day.

"You are not eating enough calories or often enough through the day. You should never eat less than 1200 calories a day. Everyone's body is different, but if you don't feed it properly then you will not lose weight. You need to eat b,l&d and snacks and post work out snack. Ideally, you eat 1500cals, work out and burn 500 then you should be eating at least 250 cals back and end up netting at 1250. MPF should have all your goals and whatnot mapped out for you if you have entered everything properly. Fruits, veggies and water-water-water!"

Hope this helps for you! Good Luck! :)