does anyone here eat their exercise calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• farmerstan
    Options
    But you are building muscle. weight is not the only way to measure progress.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    I eat some of them back but shoot to stay under total calories allowed a day by like 200 calories or so, but if i eat them all back i dont sweat it, gotta enjoy some extra food for working out hard :)
  • theblondetrick
    theblondetrick Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If I eat my exercise calories I don't lose anything, if I stay within the 1200 limit I don't really lose anything either, I'm at a standstill! :sad:
    hm,i don't think so.because,if you eat less than 1200 calories there's a chance that you won't be losing any weight because that way you'd be putting yourself in starvation mode.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I used to not eat them. Wasnt eating enough calories, stopped losing for about 2 months. I finally decided to do more research about starvation mode and metabolism. I uped my calories quiet a bit and have been losing ever since. Good Luck
  • lilfurson
    Options
    Since I have my calories set for Sedentary, over the past week, I have focused on eating back 80-90% of my exercise calories but not the ones that come from my FitBit. Overall it's helped tremendously compared to the weeks before where I felt tired and had hit a plateau.

I work out 2 times a day and burn between 600-1200 calories a day exercising so I feel I need to eat those back or else my body wouldn't function.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Exercise calories are the best tasting calories.

With every delicious bite I know I am fueling my body and building glorious lean muscles :)
  • Fitfaery
    Fitfaery Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I always try and reach between 1200-1300 net calories. Women need at least 1200 and men 1800.

It all depends on how I'm feeling as well. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, then I don't. Listen to your body.

Agreed.
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    All of them!! I agree, 1200 is not enough for me. I'm at 1350 and my nutritionist thinks I may even need to up my net to 1500... Inever stay at my net on recovery (rest) days, either. Id be starving and she says my body needs the nutrients just as much on recovery days in order to reap the benefits of my training.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. There is certainly nothing wrong with it.
  • HealthyHappyVegan
    Options
    For sure! I love eating them and love looking forward to eating them, haha. It's worked into your settings when you configure your MFP account so you'll still lose weight as long as you're not overestimating the calories burned (a HRM is your best bet)!
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    If I eat my exercise calories I don't lose anything, if I stay within the 1200 limit I don't really lose anything either, I'm at a standstill! :sad:

As crazy as it may sound, you may not be eating enough. Upping your calories might kick start your weight loss.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I lost most of my weight eating 1200-1300 calories per day and eating most of my workout calories back, HOWEVER, I was borderline morbidly obese when I started. It still took me a full year to get this weight off.

If you haven't already, start strength training and upping your protein intake to 1g per pound of lean body mass. You need to know your body fat percentage to do this, so get that checked also. You should be able to get a rough body fat estimate from calipers or a hand scanner, though it may not be 100% accurate. If possible, try to go get a DEXA scan done. This will cost about $70-$80, but will tell you exactly your body composition. You can do that again in a few months to see the progress you've made.

If you aren't severely obese, I would highly recommend you taking a lower deficit and eating more. This combined with good strength training will help you retain your lean mass and keep your metabolism high as you lose weight. Plus, most of the weight you drop will be fat instead of muscle. This is a great thing and helps prevent plateaus along the way also.

More calories also means that your body can repair itself more readily after a strenuous workout. This is especially true for protein intake and weight training.

I would also suggest watching your sodium intake as high salt diets can make you retain excess fluids as well as be detrimental to your cardiovascular system.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Of course. A deficit is a deficit, whether it be through diet or exercise.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    My feelings on this:
    * Eat a caloric deficit to lose weight.
    * Exercise to gain good health.
    Eating more calories - while maintaining a deficit (but a reasonable one) - does not negate the health benefits gained through exercise.
    So yes, I eat my exercise calories.

... but hey, what do I know? I've only shed 130+ pounds, decreased my body fat from a whopping 56% to 22-ish%, and shed nearly 100 inches from all over my body...
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    nope. i drink them!!!!!

2012-02-10_10-54-46_470.jpg
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I personally eat most of them almost all of the time. I've had a day or two where I didn't and I figure the leftover ones make up for days I have been over!
  • kvreeken
    kvreeken Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    every single one of them

ditto
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Yes.. Id go over everyday if I didn't lol
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    Yes.

And 1200 might not be the best base level for you anyway. If you are hungry, set it higher. Set your goal a pound a week.

This.

And yes I do, and here's why: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore
    My feelings on this:
    * Eat a caloric deficit to lose weight.
    * Exercise to gain good health.
    Eating more calories - while maintaining a deficit (but a reasonable one) - does not negate the health benefits gained through exercise.
    So yes, I eat my exercise calories.

... but hey, what do I know? I've only shed 130+ pounds, decreased my body fat from a whopping 56% to 22-ish%, and shed nearly 100 inches from all over my body...

I hope at least one person reads what all three of you say, and actually starts eating their exercise calories.

And yes, I eat mine!
  • JLN14
    JLN14 Posts: 3
    Options
    When I first began eating 1200 calories, I wasn't exercising. I found the 1200 to be difficult to sustain without feeling really hungry. It wasn't unusual for me to hit closer to 1300 or even 1350, but I still was losing weight. For the past two weeks, I've been using the treadmill (walking on an incline) five days per week. My physician told me to add the calories I burn to what I'm allowed to eat, so that's what I'm doing. It makes my diet much easier to follow. It feels good to come out a little below my total allowance for the day. The weight loss still is happening. I don't think eating execise calories is a bad idea. Obviously you'll lose weight faster if you don't eat them, but in the long run, eating them may help sustain dieting longer.