Protein Bar Question

Options
Alright, MFPers... you haven't let me down thus far and I've got a question for you!

I am starting a new job and need a back up protein bar to keep in my purse for "just in case". I don't want to buy something I'm going to hate and end up in a drive through, though. I hate really crunchy bars. I actually love the Fiber One Chocolate flavored bars but the amount of fiber in them is more than my body can handle in one dose, especially on my high fruit/veggie days. I don't care if they are particularly "clean" because I don't intend for them to be the primary part of my diet. I have no idea what I will have access to as far as a fridge and microwave are concerned and my hours are on a day-by-day basis, depending on what we need to get accomplished. I don't want to end up driving home starving and stopping in for fast food when I can eat one on the way home and be satisfied enough to fix dinner. I plan on taking other things that will keep in my purse (like fresh-made peanut butter crackers, nuts/raisins, etc).

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My hubby really likes the Special K protein bars. There's a strawberry flavor, a chocolate/peanut butter flavor, and a couple of others. You can get them at Wal-Mart in the "Sports Nutrition" section (near the pharmacy area).

Cheers! :drinker:
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    My hubby really likes the Special K protein bars. There's a strawberry flavor, a chocolate/peanut butter flavor, and a couple of others. You can get them at Wal-Mart in the "Sports Nutrition" section (near the pharmacy area).

Cheers! :drinker:

Thanks! Those sound yummy! They're all so expensive that I just hate buying a box, eating half of one and giving away the rest!!!
  • stewartmn
    stewartmn Posts: 15
    Options
    I also like the special K meal bars. I did the 2 week challenge a couple months ago and found that they held me over nicely from lunch time unti dinner time! It was also a nice way to get some chocolate! :wink:
  • firetuck
    firetuck Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I like the Kashi granola bars - I've tried a couple of them and they're pretty tasty.
  • dantell13
    dantell13 Posts: 71
    Options
    Which one has the least carbs?
  • verykristin
    Options
    I think the Dr. Weil bars are outstanding. Great ingredients, flavor, and texture for a bar. Also, the Pria Powerbars are really low in calories and have the texture of a rice crispy treat.
  • mjheinrich
    mjheinrich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I really like the zone Perfect bars. They have a good balance of protein and carbs, taste great and really help to get me through a hunger or sweet craving. 190 calories each. Today I had dark chocolate almond and they also have a double dark chocolate...
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I really like the Clif bars....a little high in calories (usually between 190-250) but filling and tasty. I work shift work on the road and can't always count on having the opportunity to grab lunch in between calls so this is helpful to have in my bag for a meal in case I can't get lunch that day. Most of them are very good but my favs right now are the crunchy peanut (it's chewy with crispies) and the chocolate peanut butter.

On a side note, I actually had a day where I was on top of a roof in the middle of summer in the middle of the afternoon and hadn't eaten or drank anything all day but coffee. I almost had heat exhaustion and had to call in for backup to finish the job. I work with the police department and had officers checking on me on the radio to see if they needed to send out the fire department to get me off the roof. OMG, no! How embarrassing would that be!!!? Needless to say, ever since then, I always carry a stash of sustenance and water, just in case :)

Hope this helps, Kim
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I keep beef jerky in my purse for those occassions. Most bars have too much of something I don't want or not enough of something I do. Or both.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Second on the clif bars. The best part about them is when you read the ingredients, its actual food. All natural. Odwalla bars are right up there too.
  • carriedkline
    carriedkline Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Check out the South Beach High Protein bars. They have about 140 calories in them and are pretty tasty. I like the peanut butter ones but they also have chocolate and cinnamon raisin.
  • ngwife4life
    Options
    I really like the Clif bars....a little high in calories (usually between 190-250) but filling and tasty. I work shift work on the road and can't always count on having the opportunity to grab lunch in between calls so this is helpful to have in my bag for a meal in case I can't get lunch that day. Most of them are very good but my favs right now are the crunchy peanut (it's chewy with crispies) and the chocolate peanut butter.

On a side note, I actually had a day where I was on top of a roof in the middle of summer in the middle of the afternoon and hadn't eaten or drank anything all day but coffee. I almost had heat exhaustion and had to call in for backup to finish the job. I work with the police department and had officers checking on me on the radio to see if they needed to send out the fire department to get me off the roof. OMG, no! How embarrassing would that be!!!? Needless to say, ever since then, I always carry a stash of sustenance and water, just in case :)

Hope this helps, Kim

Thanks! I'll be working for a police department as well but in dispatch. I have no clue what I'll be doing until the Academy starts, though! I can't imagine the fire dept. coming to get me off a roof... yeah, I'd be mortified, too! LoL I am kind of afraid of drinking too much water when I start on the job training. Something tells me I won't be getting many potty breaks!!!
  • ngwife4life
    Options
    Thanks for all of the fabulous suggestions from everyone! I'm taking the list with me and I'm sure I can find one with the stuff I like out of these. I'm pretty picky but surely I can find something. :smile:

Oh, but feel free to keep adding on if you like one not listed!!!
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    LOL, hats off to the dispatchers! I tell you what, I'm not sure I could deal with the stress. Ours actually have a nice quiet relaxation room with recliners to calm down after a stressful day. They deserve it.

As far as water, I'd say you're probably right. I see our dispatchers in the bathroom on occasion and they all seem to be on the phone while they do their business because they only have so many minutes to take a break. But the protein bars are a great idea to get you through the day.

Good luck with the Academy and let us know how it's going :)
  • kitty_cat023
    Options
    I really like Genisoy bars, you can get a variety pack at costco, they are soy protein rather than whey, and about 240 calories a bar, at around 14g of protein, not bad!
  • jennbarrette
    jennbarrette Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I like the Power Bar Triple Threat bars. Taste pretty good as far as protein bars go, and they are really satisfying.
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I like the south beach bars too. They're really yummy. I also found one called "Pure Protein" at Walmart. It's 180 cals, 17g carbs, 20g of protein. It's the best one I've found so far (having to do with carbs and protein). My favorite flavor is the chocolate deluxe. sooooooo good!
  • evanslawn
    evanslawn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Luna Bars - S'Mores - yum!

225592.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • Phoenixflame
    Phoenixflame Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Special K = Special Crap

I hate Special K in general, and its screwy marketing as healthy food.

For a real protein bar, I'd get something like a Zero Impact and maybe only have half (if it's just a snack).

For stuff with natural ingredients, Odwallas and Cliffs are good. For protein, Cliff Builder bars are the meatiest.

For a glorified candy bar that packs a whollop of protein, get a Detour small size, preferably the lower sugar kind. It's not as chemically-laden as a lot of the other bars, and you'll think you're eating candy.