Milk Thistle

Options
I am seriously thinking of purchasing a Milk Thistle Extract to Detoxify my Liver. Has anyone had experience with Milk Thistle? Good or Bad? Will it affect prescription medicines such as estrogen and levothyroxine?

Replies

• jeangirl928
    jeangirl928 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I took milk thistle after sticking myself with a needle from a Hepatitis positive patient. Oh, the joys of nursing. I took it as a preventive measure just in case I would contract Hep from it (which I didn't thank God). I didn't have side effects from it. I am currently on Levothyroxine now but not at the time I was taking the Milk Thistle. Sorry I don't have any more insight for you!
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response. I have found that most Dr's don't want to really give you much advice on Eastern Medicine. Each of my Dr's have "mentioned" the use of Milk Thistle but not provided much information on it. I have been trying to figure out which form might be better: Pills, Extracts, Tincures or Teas? and at what dosage. I think I will start with the 70mg pills from Twin Lab a couple times a day and then increase the dosage after a couple of weeks. If I don't feel any results or side effects I will increase it again. Possibly go to an Extract to make my own teas.

It would really be nice to get more information from others who have actually taken Milk Thistle
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I am seriously thinking of purchasing a Milk Thistle Extract to Detoxify my Liver. Has anyone had experience with Milk Thistle? Good or Bad? Will it affect prescription medicines such as estrogen and levothyroxine?
    Why does your liver need any additional detoxifying? It probably does a pretty good job on its own.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i take it daily. have not experienced side effects yet.

i'm generally highly skeptical of "detox" schemes, as the way to "detox" one's liver is to remove the chemical and wait. however, milk thistle is a traditional treatment for mushroom poisoning, so it's possible that there's something to it.
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I take milk thistle as a liver support due to the medications I am on

when one of my dogs went on certain meds I put him on milk thistle the vet said it was a good move and that they recommend it in some cases of liver deficiency as a cheap alternative to other meds they can offer

dogs liver function was checked before and then one month after starting on milk thistle - his liver function returned to normal
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Why does your liver need any additional detoxifying? It probably does a pretty good job on its own.

I have been diagnosed with Non-Alcoholic Liver Diesease that is not getting better with diet and weight loss. My enzyme levels are still high and my liver is 1/3 larger than normal.