Need to get my HR UP!!

Options
I'm a fairly small gal (5'0, 114lbs) and I'm pretty fit as I am a long distance runner.

I finally got a HRM yesterday and I'm shocked by just how little I burn!! I did 20 mins on the elliptical and I think I burnt like 60cals Today, I did 20 mins on the bike and I only burnt 45.
Yes, I increased the intensity but the elliptical actually got so incredibly hard, I couldn't even move it with ALL my body weight and strength. I know this probably sounds lame, but I don't wanna work out THAT hard on the elliptical/bike because I don't wanna risk getting my legs too tired and mess up my marathon training runs.

So...my question is: do you have any suggestions on what to do to get my HR going rather quickly so that my workouts are as effective as they can be? I've thought about kickboxing or dancing like nobody's watching in my living room, but I'd like to hear your ideas!!

Thanks!

Replies

• bnjones23
    bnjones23 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem! I was shocked to see that MFP overestimated my burn by 100 cals! I'm 5'2" 120 lbs. But, I've found that circuit training does really well. Kickboxing is excellent! I don't know if you ever do DVD's but I just got Bob Harper's Ultimate Cardio Body and his kettlebell dvd and they both burn a good bit of calories as well as Turbo Fire. Let me know if you come up with anything else!
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest circuits too...say, 30-60 secs of jumping jacks, then pushups, then squat jumps, then lunges, then step ups, then crunches, etc. (You can add any kind of move you think would be fun.) Alternate between a body resistance exercise and a plyometric type exercise. If you really give it your all, you should be able to get your heart rate up. That type of workout is intended to be short and explosive...and since you run, have you thought about/or are you currently doing sprints?

ETA: I also do dancing and kickboxing in my living room. I do the circuit until I can't any longer, then do some kickboxing moves as an active rest type period, followed up with the the circuit again, and the active rest. With my heart problem sometimes I have trouble getting my HR to slow down after getting it up high, so I try not to overdo it yet...i'm working on being able to get it healthy again. :0)
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    youtube : HIIT workouts.
  • apple2107
    Options
    Is there any chance that's partly because your body has been so adapted to running and cardio activities, hence the little burn? I mean, I've always known you as an excellent runner OvO
    How about trying other activities? Do a work-out program that includes strength training and such? When I first switch activities, I found out I burn a lot more calories than usual and result in much better weight loss than before :3
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Do intervals.

2 mile run at your normal pace
    5 min sprint
    2 mile run at normal pace
    etc...

Try running hills
    Climb stairs

Intervals will help you improve your marathon times too.