It works!

Options
Aliciaaah
Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
When I started this site, I wasn't sure it was going to work, because nothing ever has. The reason this site works for me is because I'm a numbers person. I'm an accounting major, so I totally get off on trying to work the math, how much can I get out of my calories each day? If I want to eat this dinner how much do I need to work out? That sort of thing.

I started here already a little discouraged though, because I have 90 pounds to lose. At a rate of 1 pound a week, that's almost two whole years. That just seems sooo long for me. I've set my goal at 1 pound a week as my minimum, but I don't normally eat all my exercise calories back, and I make an effort to overestimate my food a bit, and underestimate my workouts just to be safe.

I've been on here just longer than a month. A month and 3 days to be exact. I've logged in every day, worked out 4 times a week. Today at my weigh in I lost 2.6 pounds from last week. This is a total of 8 pounds. In one month and 3 days.

I could not be happier!

Replies

• fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    It does work! Congrats!:flowerforyou:
  • kammy92
    kammy92 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!:bigsmile:
  • dru_howard
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started - I'm an accountant and also LOVE the math. Weight loss finally just made sense and it worked when I played the numbers game with myself. I lost my 50th total pound this week and it took me a little over a year. However, I, along with "getting" the math, also got that this was a forever change so it no longer feels like a diet anymore - it's just my life. I'm finally health, strong, and active in life. It's so awesome.

CONGRATS on your first 8 lbs - that is a fabulous accomplishment and you should be SO SO SO proud of yourself. Keep it up and though a year or even two may seem like a long time, it's amazing the energy and self confidence you will gain along the way - oh yea, along with a new body too!! :)
  • si_puedo
    si_puedo Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    i too was like you......i set my goal at 1.5lbs per week and with 72lbs as my weight loss goal, i was thinking this was going to take forever.....i decided to give it a try anyway.....here i am today at 14lbs down and it's been a month and a half.....i know how good you are feeling right now....we can totally do this.....woop woop woop:laugh: :happy: :tongue:
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get where you are! Eating healthy has never been hard for me. I LOVE the food!

It was more about portions for me. These are my basic tools these days when it comes to dinner:

Bigger portions of the healthy food, stuff vegetables in any meal you can (they always work), less of the mashed potatoes, and hold the cheese. lol It's that easy for me to eat healthier. It works because I didn't have to do a total 180 to change my habits.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Great job!

I'm not an accountant, but I love shopping. I think of logging my food as budgeting my money. I want the most bang for my buck, and the best, most delicious foods for my calories.
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eacatterton
    eacatterton Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you! My change has been very similar. Before i had this idea if I worked out, that would mean I could have...a piece of cake or a donut.Now I have for the most part cut that out and I look at it as a total numbers game. If I eat this I have to work out this long or I can substitute this instead of that and get more out of my day. I am typically already a healthy eater, but yes it comes down to portions for me and cutting out the extras that are not necessary.
  • Caiis101
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss. I just joined MFP this week so I am glad to see you are happy with your results!
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the progress so far. Based on your diary, you have room to cut some additional calories (100-200 a day) and you still wouldn't be at the minimum of 1200. So if you are looking to make things go faster you could try that. If not, keep it up and don't get discouraged...you are doing just fine.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    That's absolutely fantastic! Keep up the great work :D
  • gregavila
    gregavila Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Also a couple of suggestions in looking ate your food diary...

1) are you drinking water and just not logging it? If you aren't drinking you should be trying to get a minimum of 64 ounces a day.

2) You could work to lower your sodium intake, which would also help with water retention.

Just a couple of thoughts.
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Great job!

I'm not an accountant, but I love shopping. I think of logging my food as budgeting my money. I want the most bang for my buck, and the best, most delicious foods for my calories.

I'm with you on that one! I am a couponer (not extreme!) and love a bargain! I always thought eating healthy was just too expensive, but its not!
    Good luck to all of us on our life changes!!!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm celebrating for you!!! Keep up the fantastic work! :drinker:

(I love the numbers thing, too....takes something that seems vague and makes it scientific and easier to conceptualize!)
  • dport7
    dport7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Also a couple of suggestions in looking ate your food diary...

1) are you drinking water and just not logging it? If you aren't drinking you should be trying to get a minimum of 64 ounces a day.

2) You could work to lower your sodium intake, which would also help with water retention.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Sodium is the tough one for me, seeing i have high blood pressure.

You are right about water and sodium.

I do like that people open their diary's, it give a better prospective on what they're eating and suggestions on food choices for everyone who reads them.

CONGRATULATIONS on your progress so far.
  • jillsusanne
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep up the good work!! :flowerforyou:
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you.............I looked at your Diary and noticed your sodium is a little high, I do the same thing eat high in sodium food, nothing wrong in that only for me when I do that I tend to keep a little extra weight on....... keep up the good work and stay strong....
  • Wisemomoffour
    Wisemomoffour Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Yay for you!!! I am so excited for you and your loss--you are dong GREAT!!!! I hope you are making friends on here. People are SO supportive and will be your cheerleaders on your journey. Feel free to add me if you like. Good luck and keep on, keepin' on!! :happy:
  • Laner07
    Laner07 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Ha see I'm the opposite. I don't really like math so I like that MFP figures everything out for me. This way I know it's more accurate than if I were to add everything up myself.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Same for me. The math has really helped me control my portion sizes. I'm still eating the same healthy foods that I've been eating for awhile but now the portions sizes have gotten better because I can see the math of each portion. I didn't have alot to lose but today I hit my exact goal weight and I'm so excited. Now to figure out the portions that will allow me to maintain without losing more or putting back any... My goal now will be to stay within 2.5 pounds in either direction of today's number so I have a 5 pound range to float in.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!