Protein help

Options
So I am doing the Insulin Resistance diet where I balance carbs with protein (30 carbs and 14 grams protein). Lately I have discovered I am not getting enough protein per meal (like with my cereal). Also my sandwiches are lacking.

Any tips?

Replies

• lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I eat a hard boiled egg most mornings with my breakfast to up my protein. Or you could do a protein shake. I found something at the store the other day, it is Silk Fruit and Protein. I got the strawberry/banana one. Tastes good and is high in protein and calcium. You could also pack a few nuts to go with your sandwiches to up the protein. Or bring a protein bar to have as a snack in between meals.
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Best way I get my protein intake for the day is a protein shake and homemade protein bars.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    So I am doing the Insulin Resistance diet where I balance carbs with protein (30 carbs and 14 grams protein). Lately I have discovered I am not getting enough protein per meal (like with my cereal). Also my sandwiches are lacking.

Any tips?

What is the purpose of insulin resistance diet?
  • Chibs82
    Chibs82 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Tuna's a great source of protein. I like porridge in the mornign as it's got a decent protein content too (for a cereal).

Also to underline lewadt's point about shakes (and bars). A decent protein shake will give you about 30g protein for 180kCal. use one of these to replace your mid morning and mid afternoon snacks, I found this killed my appetite dead so I don't have the urge to snack and my body's getting access to what it needs post workout, I recently switched to one with creatine as I want to start putting on mass now. (I'm using maxcimuscle ones just now but that's just because they were on sale when I was shopping :))
  • OhDD65
    OhDD65 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Try Kashi GoLean Crunch cereal....................It has 9 protein in it. I usually add some fruit to mine to
    make it a bit more tastey as it is pretty bland. Some slivered almonds might be good in it also.
  • NickyCat101
    Options

Any tips?

What is the purpose of insulin resistance diet?

Insulin resistance is the root cause of PCOS in women (hormonal imbalance). The diet works to balance carbs with protein to keep your blood sugar stable. Basically 30 carbs max a meal and 14 g protein minimum. Snacks are half this. I have a tendency to focus on carbs and over estimate the protein. :/ snacks and beakfast are my bad areas.

Any recipe recommendations for shakes?
  • ryajak
    ryajak Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    If you can use soy products, look into Almased. They sell it at GNC and Good Food stores as well as several online drugstores. It's all natural protein powder made with soy, yogurt and honey, so it doesn't have all the artificial sweeteners or sugars. I mix it with water and add a TBSP of cocoa powder or some vanilla extract and cinnamon, but friends use skim milk and say it's better. The other big protein fad right now seems to be the Greek yogurt.
  • irdietinfo
    Options
    Protein shakes are the best!