What is supposed to hurt when you run?

Options
So lately, I've been picking up the pace and running about 3 times a week. I can proudly say that I started off only being able to run for like 30 seconds at a time and barely walk/jogging 2 miles to running 10 minutes at a time and I've worked my way up to 5 miles (sometimes more if I'm feeling feisty)

My question is:
When I used to run in high school my hamstrings were sore after. Now, my calves are sore. Am I doing something wrong?

I really like to feel them sore the next day- not an issue with me, I also enjoy running through the soreness, but is there a reason why its changed?

This is probably a really stupid question.

Replies

• LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    So lately, I've been picking up the pace and running about 3 times a week. I can proudly say that I started off only being able to run for like 30 seconds at a time and barely walk/jogging 2 miles to running 10 minutes at a time and I've worked my way up to 5 miles (sometimes more if I'm feeling feisty)

My question is:
    When I used to run in high school my hamstrings were sore after. Now, my calves are sore. Am I doing something wrong?

I really like to feel them sore the next day- not an issue with me, I also enjoy running through the soreness, but is there a reason why its changed?

This is probably a really stupid question.
  • ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Options
    It's not a stupid question! I don't really know much about running (I just started to get really motivated to up my stamina and I got shin splints so now i'm out of commission) but the only thing people keep telling me is that you NEED to get good running shoes. I haven't bothered yet since I can't run, but I plan on it. That's the only peice of advice I have for ya, but I'm interested to see other people's responses! :drinker:
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Strictly speaking, nothing should hurt *that* much - a little soreness is ok, but if your knees start hurting, or your hip flexors, or your feet, be careful.
    Two tips that help me a lot:
    1. Make sure you have good, high-quality running shoes. I strongly recommend going to a running store - not a generic sport store but an actual running store - and having them watch you run in different pairs of shoes to make sure you're in the best pair for you. There are stability shoes, motion-control shoes, and other kinds and depending on your feet and your stride they'll be able to tell you what's best.
    2. Also very important is to make sure you're following a regular stretching routine. If you run without stretching you greatly increase your risk of getting injured. There are different philosophies out there but I believe that stretching after a run is best.

Good luck!
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    What kind of surfaces are you running on? Hills, Gravel, Grass, Track, etc. This could easily account for a difference in your gait. As long as you quickly recover, no worries. If the pain gets better as you move more, you're fine, just building muscle (great job!). If the pain is worse two or more hours after a run, back off and let them rest. Learn the difference between pain & soreness and be sure to listen!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Well, running is one thing I DO know about. I have been running more on then off since elementry school. And was captain of my track team in high school (I'm not trying to brag, I'm just trying to give credentials), I was lucky in that I had a good coach who taught me not only how to run, but what to expect when I do run. So I'm more then happy to pass that info along.

As to aches and pains with running. It can happen in many places indicating different things. For you Caroline, it seems your calves are sore after you run. I would have been more concerned if it was your hami's, not a lot, but some. Soreness is to be expected when picking up running again. And from time to time, when I push myself, I still feel it a little. Soreness is generally never a problem in any of your major muscle groups after a good run. Basically if your calves are sore, one of two things is probably causing it. 1 is they may have (over the years) "bunched up". Without proper stretching muscles tend to bind up and become less elastic. This is common, it will take a while for them to lengthen again, but they will, just don't push it, if you start to cramp up, or if you feel any "pop" then stop immediately and massage the muscle (for cramps), or test the muscle by walking lightly (for a pop), if it hurts when walking, get off it and consider seeing a doctor as you may have torn something. 2 is they may just have atrophied somewhat. The soreness in this case is more just the muscle building up again. This should go away in a few weeks at most, if it's still bothering you after a month or so, then there is something else going on and you should consider seeing a physical therapist.

One thing to remember, and I see so many people at the gym on the tred mill that don't do this, is ALWAYS always always do a good stretch before you jog. stretch the hami's, the groin, the shins, the calves, and the quads before any run (stretching the back is a good idea too). here is a good site for stretching exersises.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_1/126.shtml

Oh, and it's a good idea to stretch after too. Not as big a deal for running, but vital for weight training. Do make sure you do a few minutes cool down though, it's important to give the muscles and your blood pressure a ramp back down to normal, if you just stop, your cooling off too fast and you can stiffen up and hurt yourself.
  • LightenUp_Caro
    LightenUp_Caro Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!
    Generally I do stretch before I run, and it helps.
    I know that I have a strange way of carrying my body (it doesn't look weird, but the way weight is distributed through my feet isn't right) and I do hyper extend my knees, so I guess that could have something to do with it.

I'll just keep at it as long as its not painful.

Thanks again!