What's the deal with daily sugar?

I am just curious - I started using this site late December and lost 12lbs so far. The question I have is the daily sugar "allotment". It seems low to me - if I have 2 apples I have hit the limit for the day and the sugar category turns red. This can't be right can it? The limit is 34. One Asian pear has 19.

Replies

• No body?
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    I have been going over on sugar and sodium almost every day especially since I'm addicted to pop, I have dropped to 1-2 per day and one puts me at the sugar limit
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    my dietician told me not to worry about sugar from fruit - just to keep "added" sugars to 35g or less
  • I'm curious about that too. I thought we were supposed to be encouraged to eat fruits and such but even eating an orange and an apple in one day can put me in the red. Drives me crazy!
  • lollipopgold
    lollipopgold Posts: 9 Member
    I have the same question. I was going to ask my doctor this week -- I'm always under calories but over on sugar due to fruit or dairy.
  • charlesb22
    charlesb22 Posts: 110 Member
    Don't stress about the natural sugars from fresh food, just try to cut out refined sugars. I personally think it should monitor artifical sweeteners as they can be very nasty to the body and are in a heck of a lot of "diet" foods!
  • Thanks for the comments - so it's the refined and added sugars that are "bad" vs. the naturally occurring ones in their natural state like in Clementines which are a favorite of mine - I'll have a can of Slim-fast in the morning along with 3 Clementines, and that fills me up and gives me energy until lunch time. I'm not a breakfast person normally - I prefer to sleep in as late as possible :-)