No results =(

Options
So I lost 14 lbs in about seven weeks, and then nothing. Over the last four weeks I have lost 1 lb. I increased my exercise (after about two weeks with no results) to an hour of pretty intense cardio every day, strength training with my personal trainer once a week, and again on my own once a week. I am eating about 1400-1600 calories a day, and burning off roughly 700, I am not eating fats, junk food, or lots of carbs, I am eating lot of lean protein, low fat dairy, and fruits and vegetables. What am I doing wrong? Why is this not working? I am doing everything that is suggested to loose weight, and I am not getting any results and I am getting so frustrated! Someone please help.

Replies

• carlypreiss
    Options
    Eat more! If you're eating 1400 and burning 700, that's a 700 net. Way too little.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    If you are eating 1400 calories and burning 700, you are getting a net of 700 calories per day.

Which is why you are not losing. Don't look at your goal calories, look at your net calories... get at least 1200 per day.
  • Aphreal
    Aphreal Posts: 103
    Options
    Say you are eating 1400 a day and burning off 700. You have a net calorie intake of 700calories. I wont get into how harmful it is to have a net intake so low because its a hot topic here but that is ridiculously low for anyone. Consider eating your workout calories back.
  • Aphreal
    Aphreal Posts: 103
    Options
    Oh great minds think alike lol
  • NatashaK29
    Options
    Ditto!
  • gibnic
    gibnic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So I should be aiming for around 1800-1900 calories a day? When I work out of course...
  • Front_Runner
    Options
    Totally agree... I had the same problem. I increased my caloric intake (ate back most of my exercise calories), and BAM!!! Dropped weight again nooo problem. I guess my metabolism got whacked out when I was under eating that much - my boody didn't want to let anything go. It was like, "Hell no, I need all the fat stores I can save - since you're not giving me enough energy on a daily basis!!" :oP
  • gibnic
    gibnic Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lol, who would have ever thought, eat more to loose weight! Ok, I will try it though. Thanks everyone!
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was also undereating and losing very little weight. When I started eating more, I started losing a lot more consistently.
    In case you wanted to learn a little more :)

http://shouldieatmyexercisecalories.com/index2.html
  • smsport71
    Options
    Also be mindful, depending on how much time you spend in the gym, that you look at muscle weight. Muscle weighs more than fat. When I satrted lifting and working out I dropped weight very fast but then, like you, it considerably got slower. I was still loosing "fat" weight but I was gaining "Muscle" weight with my workout routine. But like the others are saying, increasing your calories will help.
  • noexcuses84
    noexcuses84 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    def eat more!! i wonder if u measure urself as well as weigh?? it could b that u may not have lost any weight over the last 4 weeks but u may have toned and lost inches???
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Everyones body is diff, my net for today is like 167
    I burn between 500-1500+ per day
    I can't eat my cals back cause im not hungry enough too
    do whats best for you try diff things mix it up, make sure your not doing the same workouts everyday also

here is a full write up i did on plateaus

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/387166-questions-about-weight-loss-plateau-s-why-do-they-happen-w
  • LesleeAH
    Options
    Also be mindful, depending on how much time you spend in the gym, that you look at muscle weight. Muscle weighs more than fat. When I satrted lifting and working out I dropped weight very fast but then, like you, it considerably got slower. I was still loosing "fat" weight but I was gaining "Muscle" weight with my workout routine. But like the others are saying, increasing your calories will help.

She would not be gaining muscle on a calorie deficit.
  • Vash41288
    Options

muscle does not weigh more then fat, they weigh the same just muscle takes up less space. It is a myth that muscle weighs more.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

muscle does not weigh more then fat, they weigh the same just muscle takes up less space. It is a myth that muscle weighs more.

I think you just said the same thing "a pound is a pound" - Muscle has a higher density so the same volume of muscle as fat will weigh more. Said another way, if you put a pound of muscle and a pound of fat next to each other, the fat would be a bigger pile.

Density of muscle is 1.1 and fat is .9
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Everyones body is diff, my net for today is like 167
    I burn between 500-1500+ per day
    I can't eat my cals back cause im not hungry enough too
    do whats best for you try diff things mix it up, make sure your not doing the same workouts everyday also

here is a full write up i did on plateaus

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/387166-questions-about-weight-loss-plateau-s-why-do-they-happen-w

The mere fact that you believe that 167 net calories in a day is healthy renders anything else you say meaningless. I'm sorry to be so harsh but posts like this deserve it. No one's body is that different.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I am not eating fats, junk food, or lots of carbs, I am eating lot of lean protein, low fat dairy, and fruits and vegetables.

OK your diet, from this description, is seriously unbalanced and very, very bad for you. Fats are NEEDED for your body to survive. As are carbs. You cannot exist on a protein diet and be healthy, it's not possible.

People can't offer advice on your diet without seeing what you eat though.
  • josiejo333
    Options
    muscle doesnt weigh more than fat...1lb muscle takes up less space in the body than 1lb of fat...thats why you should check your measurements aswell as ur weight.
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    <<<[/quote]muscle doesnt weigh more than fat...1lb muscle takes up less space in the body than 1lb of fat...thats why you should check your measurements aswell as ur weight.
    [/quote]<<<

What you are saying is somewhat of a contradiction. Muscle has a higher density than fat. Yes and pound of fat and a pound of muscle would both weigh a pound. But, the fat pile to make up the pound would in fact be bigger than the muscle pound pile.

It's why the water test works best for figuring out true body mass.

If you consider water has a density of 1, muscle has a density of 1.1, and fat has a density of .9, the fat floats, the muscle sinks. A 300 lb person with a lean body mass of 50 would weigh about 150 in the tank of water (the fat is floating). A 200# person with a lean body mass of say 10, would weigh 180 in the water (more muscle is sinking).
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am not eating fats, junk food, or lots of carbs, I am eating lot of lean protein, low fat dairy, and fruits and vegetables.

OK your diet, from this description, is seriously unbalanced and very, very bad for you. Fats are NEEDED for your body to survive. As are carbs. You cannot exist on a protein diet and be healthy, it's not possible.

People can't offer advice on your diet without seeing what you eat though.

Fats are needed, but that diet does have fat in it as nearly all diets do. It is fine to have a low fat diet with 15% of your calories coming from fat. That is just over 20g for 1400 calories. These will come easily from a well balanced mix of veg, lean protein and low (note not no) fat dairy.