Tattoos After Weight Loss?

Options
I currently have 5 tattoos and about 160 lbs to lose.
I have a tattoo on my the back of my right shoulder, my inner wrist, above my elbow on the left arm, on my right arm, and on my chest close to my arm.

I have read that tattoos adapt as you lose weight and can become smaller but don't normally change too dramatically unless they are on the stomach/hip area.

So my question is: For those of you with tattoos that have lost a lot of weight, how has it affected your tats, if at all? Do you have before/after pics? Just wondering what I can expect so I don't get more until I lose more weight lol

Replies

• EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    at 174 lbs, I got a squid that goes from my arm pit down to just above my knee. I honestly thought it would change, but it hasn't. The tat still looks KILLER. I'm now 123 lbs.

All my other tats still look great too- my upper arms must have lost a fair amount of fat but the ink still looks good. All my tats are earthy things- plants, animals....i'm not sure if it would be differnet with something more specific about spacing like letters....but I think that the human body is amazing. I do have pics i could put up if you really wanna see.
  • bellavie23
    bellavie23 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just had my hip tat covered up with a new bigger one, but even through 3 pregnancies and back my hip tattoo didn't distort or if it did it wasn't anything drastic. I so far have lost 35 lbs in the last two months, I still have another 30-35 to lose, but I dont foresee my tattoo changing much if any, HOWEVER I do know it happens to some people. I do lotion as much as possible though to keep my skin moistured and firming.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Something I never thought of. I just was wondering if it would make it look more intense. Guess it depends where the tattoo is
  • suedibny82
    Options
    Would love to see them! I am thinking of getting an octopus on my arm and back.
    I've heard super fine line work can slightly change (making the lines look closer or blur) but from what I'm finding, they aren't effected too much. The one on my arm has some fine line work so I'm most concerned about it. But luckily I don't get quotes are anything so no letters to worry about :)
  • zibbity
    zibbity Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a 3/4 sleeve as well as chest pieces that were done when I was 30 pounds heavier. I think they look better!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    if you wanna see my squid, you can friend me and i'll be sure to put one up!
  • harrietk94
    harrietk94 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just had my hip tat covered up with a new bigger one, but even through 3 pregnancies and back my hip tattoo didn't distort or if it did it wasn't anything drastic. I so far have lost 35 lbs in the last two months, I still have another 30-35 to lose, but I dont foresee my tattoo changing much if any, HOWEVER I do know it happens to some people. I do lotion as much as possible though to keep my skin moistured and firming.

How have you lost 35lbs in two months please share! X
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting about this! I have an upper arm sleeve (not a full one) and was worried myself about what weight loss might do.

EpiGaiaRepens-Way to go on that huge loss! If that thumbnail pic is you, holy moly! Totally inspiring!
  • efranz12
    efranz12 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't have any personal experience but my older sister had one near her hipbone and after my niece it is still twice it's size even though she's back to pre baby weight. So it didn't shrink back with the rest of her but I think the location and rapid weight gain/loss might be the problem.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has a gorgeous, detailed celtic style cuff across her bicep. I don't know how much weight she's lost, but her arm has reduced drastically in size, and the tattoo's gone with it. It still looks gorgeous, and even a little darker. None of the linework (and there was a lot, due to the nature) got screwed up at all.
  • rubyrubano
    Options
    I'm a tattoo artist and I've of course seen and heard everything. Unless like you said, you got something on your stomach area it's really not going to change that much. Your tattoo will shrink with your skin but should not get distorted. Treat yourself to a tattoo when you reach your mini goals! ;)
  • indisguise
    Options
    I'm a tattoo artist and I've of course seen and heard everything. Unless like you said, you got something on your stomach area it's really not going to change that much. Your tattoo will shrink with your skin but should not get distorted. Treat yourself to a tattoo when you reach your mini goals! ;)

I am relieved to hear this! I have a few tats on my arms (biceps and forearms) and have been worried that they would become distorted as I lost weight.

And I do indeed intend to reward myself with more! :D
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!