low BMR leaves me with 71 cal deficit.. how do I lose?

Options
OK I made it from 12st 7 (175lbs) to 9st 12 (138lbs) my goal was 133lbs but i might go down to 129lbs before switching to maintenance incase a few pounds go back on I'll still end up around my goal weight.

My BMR has dropped to1271 so eating at 1200 only gives me 71 cal deficit. Only way I can see I could do this as I'm limited physically for exercise is to drop calories to 1,000 and go back on capsiplex to help keep metabolism high despite lower calories.

Some days I can manage to burn 1,000 cals on Wii but can't keep this up its exhausting as I have to fit two sessions into the day, if I get up earlier everyday like 5am to fit in three sessions, I'm losing out on sleep and 8hrs sleep is supposed to be important too.

I'm wondering if I am close to my bodies 'set point' and that's why my BMR is so low, another few pounds and my BMR is going to drop under 1200 then how do I eat at least 1200 and still lose weight to reach my goal? .. is this a sign my final goal is too low?

The 9st 3 goal comes from Wii Fit plus, 9st 7 is in middle of healthy range for my height i think assuming a medium build, I don't know if Wii Fit takes build into consideration?

I've still got about 5" to lose off my tummy but not losing any inches for the last few months and been told can't spot reduce so can only lose that much by doing tons of cardio. I don't want to be any thinner in face and neck as its making me look older (I'm 42) so maybe I'll have to settle with bigger tummy that I can hide rather than an older face? :sad:

This means I wont get in the size 12-14 calvin klein shorts I got for summer thinking I'd easily get in them if lose a bit more tummy, I'm in most 14's and 14-16's now from size 20.

How can I get these last few pounds off if my body wants to stop here?

Thanks

Replies

• LemonDiva
    Options
    Shaky... babe... you have done sooooo well ... unbelievably well against impossible odds... I have no idea what to suggest... I am in a similar boat and I am not expecting to get anywhere near your current weight... I know I won't do it... I will be content as a big beautiful woman... who is a bit lighter...

kudos to you hope you find an answer you are happy with... though the pills worry me x x good job either way
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    how tall are you?
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    BMR isn't maintenance. BMR is how much your body needs to function properly. You can eat at and above BMR to lose weight. My BMR is 1450 and I eat 1500 NET and lose 0.5-1kg a week.
  • Nicola0000
    Options
    Ive just completed a nutrition and weight management course, and I work out your BMR to be 1364 (and thats just for normal bodily functions like breathing). How active is your normal day without exercise on a scale of 1-4 (1 being very sedentary, and 4 being extremely active like a builder?
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you're more worried about size than weight then I'd look into lifting weights or using resistance bands. What range of motion are you dealing with?
    If you have core control then doing crunches while holding a weight can help. I like that exercise because I don't have to worry about holding anything as my grip leaves a bit to be desired. I just hug the weight and bend.
    I like using exercise bands for my arms- I put my hand through the handle part at the end and use that to move instead of holding. Then it also doesn't matter about my t-rex arm or jerky movement with the resistence band= there's nothing to drop.
    Another option is strap weights- they're light but work. They velcro around a wrist or ankle- so no dropping there either and wobbly movement is ok.

Sorry if I underestimate/overestimate your range of motion and needs. This is just what works for me and I hope it can help others. :)
  • rutkowsm
    rutkowsm Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is your body's Basal Metabolic Rate, meaning it's the number of calories you would burn in a coma. It's the bare minimum to maintain the healthy functioning. Your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, or the number of calories you burn in a day when you're not in a coma. You're not in a coma! Your deficit is much greater than you believe it is!

If your BMR has truly dropped, you've lost muscle mass in addition to fat due to eating under your BMR regularly.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is your body's Basal Metabolic Rate, meaning it's the number of calories you would burn in a coma. It's the bare minimum to maintain the healthy functioning. Your TDEE is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure, or the number of calories you burn in a day when you're not in a coma. You're not in a coma! Your deficit is much greater than you believe it is!

If your BMR has truly dropped, you've lost muscle mass in addition to fat due to eating under your BMR regularly.

^^ this
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Pls can someone clever help me, in similar position I am 4 ft 10 woman age 42 diary always open, office work, currently 164 lbs, my bmr is confusing as if I put 0.5 or 1 lb it does not change, would like to lose 1 lb a week.
    Many thanks
    Fi
  • Nicola0000
    Options
    Pls can someone clever help me, in similar position I am 4 ft 10 woman age 42 diary always open, office work, currently 164 lbs, my bmr is confusing as if I put 0.5 or 1 lb it does not change, would like to lose 1 lb a week.
    Many thanks
    Fi

Your BMR + physical activity = 2047.
    So to lose 1lb a week so aim for 1547 cals a day

(This is just from what I have learnt from my course that Im just passing on)
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

^^ this

Someone should make an animated, educational YouTube video on all these basic principles.
  • yluuuu
    yluuuu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ive just completed a nutrition and weight management course, and I work out your BMR to be 1364 (and thats just for normal bodily functions like breathing). How active is your normal day without exercise on a scale of 1-4 (1 being very sedentary, and 4 being extremely active like a builder?

Can you walk me through how you calculated it? I tried looking up my bmr online, but every site I went to gave me a different number. How do I know which one is most accurate? Thanks in advance! =)
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    yluuu

BMR = base metabolism which is the number of calories you burn with your basic bodily functions (breathing, organs etc)

TEE = total number of calories you burn in a day, this is a combination of your BMR & activity

BMR calculators use different formulas for calculating your BMR which is why you may see varying results. Just pick one and go with it. They are always going to be an estimation anyway.

Typically to get your TEE you calculate your BMR (1271 for example) by your activity level (Note: MFP will do this automatically for you when you set up your profile)

Here are the activity levels:

Sedentary (Little or no exercise + desk job) 1.2
    Lightly Active (Little daily activity & light exercise 1-3 days a week) 1.3/ 1.4
    Moderately Active (Moderately active daily life & Moderate exercise 3-5 days a week) 1.5/ 1.6
    Very Active (Physically demanding lifestyle & Hard exercise or sports 6-7 days a week) 1.7/ 1.8
    Extremely Active (Hard daily exercise or sports and physical job) 1.9 /2

So if your BMR is 1271 and you are sedentary, your TEE is 1525.2 (1271 x 1.2)
    If you are very active it would be 1271 x 1.7

You should create a small deficit from this, or burn more with exercise to increase your deficit.
  • yluuuu
    yluuuu Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Got it! Thanks so much HonkyTonks! =)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm actually 5ft 3 and half but it wont work out half so went up to 5ft 4 and my current weight of 138lbs and this site gives me 1271. I don't know where you get 1364 Nicola0000?

I have ataxia and dystonia together which means my movements are very jerky and everything takes a lot of effort. I get some involuntary muscle movement at rest (mostly arms sometimes legs go rigid for a few seconds then relax) but its classed as mild so I don't think I'm burning loads from them.

My problem is I can't lift heavy weights as wheelchair user and I can't stop hands flexing involuntarily so I let go off things so wouldn't be good to be under heavy weights, I can't lift my arms straight up especially holding something heavy without them shaking alot. I do use wrist and ankle weights which I have on whilst exercising. I used to use a 6lb weighted belt around waist too (to help with balance) but its way too big for me now as I bought it when I was at my heaviest. I will cost me another £70 to get another one imported for my current weight. (money I don't have right now!)

I have difficulty working out my activity level.. yes I'm sat in a wheelchair all day, but things do take a huge effort as every movement I try to make with my arms is jerky so even simple things like trying to make myself something to eat and get dressed take longer. my hands shake alot when trying to do something 'fine motor' ie fasten a button, laces, write with a pen. (called intention tremor form the ataxia) but gross motor movements I am fine like swinging arms about to play wii tennis and boxing. (I fasten wii remotes to hands with hair scrunchies so don't keep dropping them every 5 mins)

The exercise actually temporarily stops the muscle spasms whilst I'm playing on the games but as soon as I stop they come back. eg when i go on passive trainer bike as soon as I stop my leg muscles go into spasm and shake for about 5 mins, but overall the amount of involuntary movement actually decreases after I have done exercise first thing and I feel I have more control for a while.

I'd have thought this would mean the weight would drop off fairly easily but I do also have an underactive thyroid and thats obviously affecting things as I'm more or less constantly moving i would have thought I'd burn the same kind of cals as fidgeting all day then plus exercise on top of that? I never know whether to go with sedentary or lightly active?

Thanks
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Try eating 20% under your TDEE (BMR x Fitness level)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Try eating 20% under your TDEE (BMR x Fitness level)

How do I work out what 20% under is? not even sure what my TDEE is? .. still not sure whether I should be going with sedentary or lightly active?
  • Nicola0000
    Options
    I'm actually 5ft 3 and half but it wont work out half so went up to 5ft 4 and my current weight of 138lbs and this site gives me 1271. I don't know where you get 1364 Nicola0000?

Just worked it out from what Ive been tough on my weight management course. There are lots of ways to work it out, and nothing is 100% accurate unless you were in a lab
  • CherylPierce
    CherylPierce Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You've done so well! The last few pounds are always the most difficult.

You should never eat below 1,200 a day. If you can manage a WII session that burns 500 calories each day, with an extra session on some days, you should be able to lose more weight. Using your wrist and ankle weights to provide some resistance will help. I think consistency is the key and maybe you won't get so worn out doing the longer sessions all the time.

I carry my weight around the middle, too. I've often wished I could spot reduce. :-)