Working out with a cold, yes or no?

Options
Hi guys!

At the moment i have a severe cold, my throat is sore, my nose is running, my voice is partially gone and i feel weak. Not cool...

What i wanted to ask, what do you think, is it ok to work out in this condition? I do feel weak, but i could (at least i think so) find some strength to work out.

Thanks!

Replies

• jjedrey
    jjedrey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've worked out with a cold and it seems to help kinda sweat it out of me. I'd say be careful if you feel weak that you aren't doing something where you could hurt yourself if you get faint. I would typically stick to cardio workouts when I was sick, and usually it was the bike or stair machine. Drink plenty of water! If you can feel like crap and still have the fortitude to work out, then good for you!
  • susanloveszumba
    Options
    i suggest letting your body rest. you sound like you are pretty miserable! i went through the same thing a couple of months ago. feel better soon :)
  • jillsusanne
    Options
    I always used to work out even when I was sick. I would just listen to your body and take it down a notch. So don't do anything that over-exerts you or causes you to lose too many fluids. If you are a runner, jog less miles or more slowly or even just go for a long walk.
    Don't be too proud to listen to yourself though - I am all about the whole "finish what you start" thing, but if you are truly feeling exhausted, de-hydrated, or having difficulty breathing it's best to just stop for the day and rest/hydrate.
    Still, from personal experience I always felt that getting out for a shorter, easier workout when I was sick made me feel better overall.
    Just my two cents...
  • flisafakto
    flisafakto Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Ideally, you should just let your body rest. It's already working pretty hard trying to get you better, so over-exerting it would make things worse.

That said, I did work out when I was sick a couple weeks ago, and not only was I not anywhere near my usual strength, but I was way more tired during and afterwards. I sweated a lot more, my breath was a lot shorter, and I was a lot more sore afterwards.

My point is, it depends how you feel, but you seem like even though it's just a cold, your body is weaker. It's better to take a couple days off and get better soon and get back to your usual workout schedule, then make it harder for yourself to recover, hence dragging out the cold.
  • hooligansmom
    hooligansmom Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If I were in your situation, I think i would try to at least do a little workout. I am a creature of habit, and if I took a few days rest because I had a cold, I might not get back into the routine! If you are at all like me, then it is best to go workout a bit.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Rest now. Maybe something like yoga or pilates (at home! don't infect others!).

For me, when I'm almost better, there's nothing like a brisk run and a good sweat to make me feel alive again.
  • aquitania
    aquitania Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your answers!

I decided, since i'm really feeling miserable, that i will skip my usual work out today (i usually ride a bike), and instead i will clean up a bit, do the laundry, and some easy stuff like that.

I hope this cold doesn't turn into flu...
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Your body needs to heal. You are better off taking it easy. When you exercise and not feel well, you are running your body into the ground and making things worse.
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Take it easy. I'm still getting over a cold and have been finding my head starting to hurt really bad when I push myself. So I've been half assing it so to say lol I say REST and then maybe start out with a walk or small movement on an elliptical or something.