Frustrated and Fuming: Help needed, please!

Options
2»

Replies

• raybaileyct
    Options
    Their must be something medically wrong. I would see a doctor about it. If you are 1200-1300 a day is what the body needs to survive. If you combine that with cardio to burn 2500 a week, you should be looking pounds. I have been using Me and a couple of my buddies have been using myfitnesspal following the same system as you and it works like a charm.
  • lijparsons
    Options
    ^^ What he said!

NBEric you've misread what the OP posted. She states she is eating 1200 calories and burning 2500. So by those accounts she is at -1300 NET calories.

OP if you continue doing what you're doing the weight will start coming off soon. It will be because you are starving yourself. You'll also probably lose hair, teeth and so on.

What the OP has posted (if it's all accurate) is not starvation mode, it's flat out starvation. The body initially holds on to what it can but it will start working soon. It won't be healthy but the weight will be gone.

Actually, YOU misread what the original poster said. She is eating 1200 calories per day and burns 2500 calories EACH WEEK. I agree with NBEric...her net is too low.

You need to be eating back your exercise calories. Your NET should not be below 1200 each day. Your body is hungry, so it is reluctant to give up anything here. It is holding onto the fat in order to sustain itself because it is not getting fed enough and thinks a famine is coming. Keep doing what you are doing....workout, eat your veggies, and lean meats, drink lots of water, but EAT MORE.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yes I misread it, I've posted that I misread it. You can stop yelling now :)
    The problem is that she's not going to lose fat weight, she's going to lose muscle mass. Just because weight is going down doesn't mean it's healthy whatsoever.

Oh I agree with this 100%. I did point that out too. Losing weight isn't good if you're losing muscle mass. I'd rather be healthy and fit and strong and weigh more.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    ^^ What he said!

NBEric you've misread what the OP posted. She states she is eating 1200 calories and burning 2500. So by those accounts she is at -1300 NET calories.

OP if you continue doing what you're doing the weight will start coming off soon. It will be because you are starving yourself. You'll also probably lose hair, teeth and so on.

What the OP has posted (if it's all accurate) is not starvation mode, it's flat out starvation. The body initially holds on to what it can but it will start working soon. It won't be healthy but the weight will be gone.

Actually, YOU misread what the original poster said. She is eating 1200 calories per day and burns 2500 calories EACH WEEK. I agree with NBEric...her net is too low.

You need to be eating back your exercise calories. Your NET should not be below 1200 each day. Your body is hungry, so it is reluctant to give up anything here. It is holding onto the fat in order to sustain itself because it is not getting fed enough and thinks a famine is coming. Keep doing what you are doing....workout, eat your veggies, and lean meats, drink lots of water, but EAT MORE.

I would even go a step further and recommend to the OP to find somewhere in her area that does a body analysis to determine her true BMR based on her current body composition. I know it's not free and it does cost money to do but at the end of the day this is your body, your mind and your health and you want to be absolutely sure you are doing this correctly and safely. Don't just blindly follow what a website tells you to do, seek help in person with professionals who do this every single day.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing - what you're doing is not working for you. I suggest you change something. My body responds to my diet differently all the time. What worked two months ago, may not be as successful this month. In general, if I'm true to my diet and exercise plan for two weeks and do not see any resutls, I change it for two weeks to see what happens. I don't do major overalls, just move around the macros and try a few new veggies or fruits. Sadly, it's a guessing game. We have absolutely no control of what our body does with what we give it. All we can do is control what we put into our body and respond to its reaction.

By the by - have you noticed any other improvments with your diet such as a feeling better, healthier hair and skin, sleep better etc? Those are all successes and benefits of a well balanced diet too. Good luck to you!
  • Vino81
    Vino81 Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for all these comments! It has become a lively debate :flowerforyou:

Well, I may have used the word "diet" in the wrong sense, what I am basically doing is eating healthy food (but keeping it to 1300 cals a day) and adding gym sessions (totaling 2500 cals/week) and I think it is the right way to go about it. I am not doing any fad-diet, no jenny or south beach, or whatever is in fashion now.

Usually, this "life style" should work like a charm (quoting another poster) but this time I am just adding on... also, I am not weighing myself excessively - which can be a bad and destructive habit. :huh:

My BMR is 1700 cals.
  • Danpellizzari
    Options
    What type of fitness routine are you using in the gym? That may play a big role. Perhaps doing circuit training would help. A HRM is key to that. Good luck!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    Thanks for all these comments! It has become a lively debate :flowerforyou:

Well, I may have used the word "diet" in the wrong sense, what I am basically doing is eating healthy food (but keeping it to 1300 cals a day) and adding gym sessions (totaling 2500 cals/week) and I think it is the right way to go about it. I am not doing any fad-diet, no jenny or south beach, or whatever is in fashion now.

Usually, this "life style" should work like a charm (quoting another poster) but this time I am just adding on... also, I am not weighing myself excessively - which can be a bad and destructive habit. :huh:

My BMR is 1700 cals.

Vino, you should be at the very least at your BMR in net calories at the end of the day, your BMR is what keeps your organs and vital functions working at peak efficiency, you don't gain any weight if you net 1700 and your BMR is 1700

If you are eating 400 calories under your BMR and added exercise on top of it then you are causing yourself so much harm in the long run.
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I would add to the suggestion of observing your NSV's- how do your clothes fit, how do you feel in general, has the quality of your sleep increased, etc. Don't be so obsessed with seeing your numbers drop, especially if you are doing strength training.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    I would add to the suggestion of observing your NSV's- how do your clothes fit, how do you feel in general, has the quality of your sleep increased, etc. Don't be so obsessed with seeing your numbers drop, especially if you are doing strength training.

That can also be un-healthy, you need to figure out what your body is made of. How much body fat % do you have, how much lean body mass you have. These are the numbers that relate to health.
  • beachbebe
    beachbebe Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I, too, gain weight when starting a diet/exercise plan as my body will build muscle before shedding fat and I have strong starvation-survival genetics.

You've got great advice here to drink more water, less sodium, check thyroid, healthy guidelines, balance, etc., however, if you are like me, you may just have to do the time.

I joined a weight loss challenge group and registered for a race to keep committed as setting multiple goals helps me. My biggest motivation is MFP community support and motivational slogans.

Perhaps keeping a journal of motivational slogans will help you? Good Luck!
  • Reptileszz
    Reptileszz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi, if my calculations are correct you are burning about 350 calories per day. I would eat at least 250 of them back in the form of protein like grilled chicken if you can. Some people eat back their "bonus calories" with the wrong things like a starbucks or other sugary/carb stuff.

Good luck
  • Vino81
    Vino81 Posts: 16
    Options
    Well, yes - clothes are sitting better (a bit more airy around the waist and thighs) but still the scale should eventually reflect this, but it is not happening! Instead I am 8 lbs heavier now.

I do 60 minutes (sometimes up to 80 minutes) on the treadmill, but not running (more like light jogging) and then do a bit of strength (I increase the last one as I progress and my stamina is getting better)

Maybe it is the carbs that ruining things for me, my problem is that I carve carbs a lot and about 45-50% of my calories come from carbs...
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    My intake of carbs is about the same as yours. I also have PCOS which means I'm not meant to eat that much. It hasn't hindered my weight loss in any way, shape or form.

Cardio, as a tool for weight loss is ineffective. You have to work longer and harder to get the same results. With cardio you eventually get to a point where you can't do that anymore. Cardio also stops it's weight loss benefits about an hour or two after you stop exercising. Cardio is GREAT for health, but as a weight loss tool is not the best use of your time.

Lifting heavy weights will help you with the results you want. Not only is it easier to improve on your performance but it's benefits for weight loss continue for almost a full day after you finish weight lifting.
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Hi there, this might help. Copied from Psulemon's advice and this guy knows his stuff:

Total Daily Energy Expended (TDEE). Your weight loss is actually based on the amount of energy you expend throughout the entire day (TDEE) since you burn calories above and beyond your BMR. BMR is the amount of calories you burn in a coma; your bodies' functioning calories essentially. Even if you work behind a desk, you still burn calories (walking to your desk, bathroom, going to lunch, etc.. ) that would multiply on top of your BMR (see below for criteria).

* Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    * Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    * Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    * Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    * Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

With this in mind, you need to take your BMR, add in your TDEE factor and then create a deficit.

TDEE = 1450 * 1.2 = 1740 (this is just and example - use your own BMR to calculate)

In this case, if you work out and burn 500 calories on average it would be

= 1750+500 = 2250

From this number, you create a deficit. The more weight you have to lose, the higher the deficit (see below).

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

The reason you need a smaller deficit, is you body fights to preserve fat when it see it depleting as it's the first place for energy. And when you eliminate the energy, your body does whatever it can to hold on to this energy source. So what do you do? You feed your body enough that it doesn't feel like it needs to store. This is also why it's important to eat back exercise calories if you follow MFP's suggestion and dont include it in your TDEE.

Now, when it comes to your BMR, it is really not recommended to eat below it and instead exercise more so you can eat more. Since the metabolism is a intelligent tool, it can and will adapt based on food intake. If you eat below your BMR, it will slow down to work more efficiently. This is also why its important to do weight lifting and eat enough protein; this will allow you to sustain lean muscle mass which is the biggest driver for your metabolism. This is also a reason to aim for a slower lost to prevent the metabolism from slowing and increasing long term success.

So there are many factors involved in fine-tuning what works for you. My TDEE is 2347 so I subtracted 500 from that (a little over 20%) to eat 1800 cals per day, and DO NOT eat exercise cals back as they are already factored in. I workout at high intensity 4 times a week for upto an hour per workout. I include weight training and cardio. My macros are Carbs 40%, Protein 30%, Fat 30%. I lose about 1 lb a week consistantly.

Now when I was only consuming 1300-1500 cals per day my weight stalled or even went up. I was also working out 6 times a week and found this to be too much for me personally. Since upping my cals and working out less, my weight has started going down again. So you need to figure out what works for you and when you try something like upping cals or different workouts, only do one thing at a time for at least 2-4 weeks before tweeking again. Hope this helps.
  • Fit_Canuck
    Options
    Hi there, this might help. Copied from Psulemon's advice and this guy knows his stuff:

Total Daily Energy Expended (TDEE). Your weight loss is actually based on the amount of energy you expend throughout the entire day (TDEE) since you burn calories above and beyond your BMR. BMR is the amount of calories you burn in a coma; your bodies' functioning calories essentially. Even if you work behind a desk, you still burn calories (walking to your desk, bathroom, going to lunch, etc.. ) that would multiply on top of your BMR (see below for criteria).

* Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
    * Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
    * Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
    * Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
    * Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

With this in mind, you need to take your BMR, add in your TDEE factor and then create a deficit.

TDEE = 1450 * 1.2 = 1740 (this is just and example - use your own BMR to calculate)

In this case, if you work out and burn 500 calories on average it would be

= 1750+500 = 2250

From this number, you create a deficit. The more weight you have to lose, the higher the deficit (see below).

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

The reason you need a smaller deficit, is you body fights to preserve fat when it see it depleting as it's the first place for energy. And when you eliminate the energy, your body does whatever it can to hold on to this energy source. So what do you do? You feed your body enough that it doesn't feel like it needs to store. This is also why it's important to eat back exercise calories if you follow MFP's suggestion and dont include it in your TDEE.

Now, when it comes to your BMR, it is really not recommended to eat below it and instead exercise more so you can eat more. Since the metabolism is a intelligent tool, it can and will adapt based on food intake. If you eat below your BMR, it will slow down to work more efficiently. This is also why its important to do weight lifting and eat enough protein; this will allow you to sustain lean muscle mass which is the biggest driver for your metabolism. This is also a reason to aim for a slower lost to prevent the metabolism from slowing and increasing long term success.

So there are many factors involved in fine-tuning what works for you. My TDEE is 2347 so I subtracted 500 from that (a little over 20%) to eat 1800 cals per day, and DO NOT eat exercise cals back as they are already factored in. I workout at high intensity 4 times a week for upto an hour per workout. I include weight training and cardio. My macros are Carbs 40%, Protein 30%, Fat 30%. I lose about 1 lb a week consistantly.

Now when I was only consuming 1300-1500 cals per day my weight stalled or even went up. I was also working out 6 times a week and found this to be too much for me personally. Since upping my cals and working out less, my weight has started going down again. So you need to figure out what works for you and when you try something like upping cals or different workouts, only do one thing at a time for at least 2-4 weeks before tweeking again. Hope this helps.

Very true, the only thing I would add is to get your BMR tested professionally. The calculators online can be off by a substantial amount rending the entire calculation off by many calories.
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely in the "eat more" camp, here, especially if you BMR is 1700. I net about 1900 every day, and I'm still losing about a pound a week.