1000+calories ian hour? How?

Options
I'm always skeptical when I see someone burn over 1000 calories in an hour. I do a 60 minute Zumba class and can hit 500 calories staying in the upper end of my heart rate for pretty much the entire time (I wear an HRM) I'm dripping and exhausted afterwards. I consider my self in OK shape. I workout 3-5 times a week - cardio and weights. Yea, I'm jealous! LOL! But is this really possible?

Replies

• lucysmommy
    Options
    I have burnt 780 in an hour zumba - thats with my polar hrm :-)

dont know how i do it tho lol
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Larger bodies take more calories to move. I burn 350 in twenty minutes, easy. If I work at it- I can get 900 in an hour.
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I burn over 1000 calories running for an hour. I'm 6 feet tall and weight 280 so it take alot of fuel to run at a good clip.
  • chaubner008
    chaubner008 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i am in the same boat with you, it is difficult to really believe some of these numbers. Calorie expenditure estimates are often very inflated, I do not rely on them because of this. I am interested to learn more about the polar HRM, though that sounds really cool...
  • chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    On my long run days (8-10 miles) I easily burn off a thousand calories. I think the more intense the exercise (like running), the easier it is to do so.
  • sonician1974
    sonician1974 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just finished a 5.5k walk in 56 minutes and burned 620 calories. I'm sure if I made that a run it would be 1000. But, I'm also 6' and 300lbs (thought down from 352 just 2.5 months ago)
  • timadotcom
    timadotcom Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    When I go crazy on the elliptical I can burn 820-850 cals in 60 mins and that includes rests - this according to my HRM. People work out at different intensities so cals will vary.
  • jasonkiely
    Options
    I've burnt over 1000cal in an hour a few times. Now I have lost a few kilos I seem to only hit ~900.

As it has already been suggested in this thread - larger body's require more energy.

I like that the skepticism is based on what you yourself are able to achieve applied to everyone.

Edit: I measure my calorie expenditure with a polar heart rate receiver.
  • Nerdybookgirl
    Nerdybookgirl Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    The difference may come from people having different body weights. For example, my 286 pounds will burn more calories going for a brisk walk as opposed to a 165 pound woman. I think MFP figures that in.
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't trust the estimates in MFP once my calories expended start to get over 500. I make it a point to not eat back all those calories.
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Has a lot to do with the person's height, weight, age and gender. everyone burned differently. I can take a 60min zumba class and not burn as much bc i'm only 130lbs
  • mrsladybrewer
    mrsladybrewer Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I burn about 1000 cals in a 55 minute Turbo Fire workout - I use a HRM to track as well. I am 5'7" and 190. It takes quite a few more to move me than it would someone in more of the target weight zone.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'm 242lbs and can burn 900 calories an hour trying really hard with wii Zumba. I'm guessing before I lost 56lbs I could have burnt 1000. The bigger you are the more you burn. Simple. I use the polat FT60 x
  • maggi22
    Options
    Where do you get an HRM?
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Running 8 miles burns 800 calories. When you are overweight or have a larger frame, it does require more calories to achieve the same level. If you are going by MFP calories burned, note that they tend to be overinflated.
  • mrsladybrewer
    mrsladybrewer Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You can get a HRM anywhere, really. Amazon and Ebay are great starting places.
  • jasonkiely
    Options
    I don't trust the estimates in MFP once my calories expended start to get over 500. I make it a point to not eat back all those calories.

The generic MFP numbers are not really any good. If you want accurate figures you should get yourself a polar (or other brand) heart rate monitor.
  • knl124
    knl124 Posts: 44
    Options
    I agree! I run at 7.5 miles per hour for 70 minutes and only burn about 750. I have no idea how people are burning 1000 in an hour.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I can do 500 cals in such a short time on the treadmill at 5mph and with an incline of 15.00 and the cal's just mount up and if you pick the right things you can do it as I have done much more than that but I do puch my self to the limit
  • HealthyAlison
    HealthyAlison Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't care about exact numbers. Once I figured out the bias in my normal exercises I just started mentally adjusting. Good enough for me, especially since a lot of my food calorie inputs are estimates too.