Family hindering my Paleo eating

Options
So I just started the Paleo diet a few days ago and I really like it. It's been easy to do because I've had the house to myself and been able to cook my own meals made up of meat/eggs and veggies.

However today I am havingto eat carns because my mum is someone who thinks eating them is essential etc.. ugh. So I have got potatoes for lunch and cous cous for dinner probably.

I would tell her why I don't want this and refuse to eat them myself if she wants to continue, but because I have recently gotten over an eating disorder she is still really weird about how I act around food, even though am fine now she can't seemto stop worrying. Therefore saying about not wanting to eat all these carbs would panick her and make her watch me more closely and I don't want all the stress...

I've managed to say I prefer omlettes in the morning as I feel less ill which she's fine with, and at college I can get my own lunch. But what shall I do at night/weekends :S

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Can you prepare your own food and eat it?
  • leanmachinedream
    Options
    Why can't you continue to cook for yourself? You don't have to eat what other people tell you to eat....
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I can understand where your mum is coming from. I watched my best friend in high school go through anorexia and for loved ones it's downright terrifying. You want to help but there's nothing you can do.

So try and put yourself in your mum's shoes. She's watched you go through this horrible disease and she thinks you've beaten it. Now you're (what appears to her) to be backsliding and trying to control your eating again. She's probably very worried that you're going to slide back into ED without realizing it.

If you bought a book on paleo give it to her to read. If not, print off some of the stuff from the paleo blogs to show her. Explain to her that it's just another way of doing low carb dieting. Explain you are having carbs under that diet just not as much as you used to. Try and compromise with her so instead of say potato, you're having a sweet potato. (have no idea what's allowed in paleo, if it says not to eat any carbs whatsoever then it's not a good idea. Humans need carbs to live)

You need to build your mum's trust in your eating habits again. She loves you and is worried about you. Show her that you've educated yourself and have a reason other than ED for wanting to eat this way.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Dear Snowbab,

Congratulations on overcoming the ED! Wow, you've come a long way.

The best idea is letting your mom in on your plan and getting her "okay". Yes, you don't need to eat anything anyone else tells you too, but remember that your mom probably loves you more than anyone else in this world. She doesn't want you fat, she wants you alive. Keep her motives in mind when choosing your plan of action.

If you and your mom agree for you to follow the plan, be sure to take calcium supplements and Vitamin D. Also, the guy who coined the Paleo Diet, Dr. Cordain, says that even eating the diet 80% of the time offers health benefits. It's not all or nothing.

Best of health and longevity to you!

Julie
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Congrats to you on beating ED. I had ED for 3 years and I can tell you my mom
    And sister would always question my eating when I was in recovery stages.

I have strong opinions against the Paleo diet but I would explain to your mom what you are doing, show her the materials so she is on board.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    If I were you Id say I need and want to be responsible for my own health and cook what I want and mention there are carbs in paleo and if your going to eat more you want unprocessed. That way she'd see you eat full meals and you'd get what you want as long as your not making meals of lettuce and celery lol. I am trying to be more paleo these days. Another good point is to mention you want to eat less processed chemically enhanced foods which isnt a bad thing.