1000+calories ian hour? How?

Options

Replies

• nymple
    nymple Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's weight, if you weigh more your body expends more energy whilst exercising for the simple fact that it takes way more energy to move all the extra weight around. So for me 55 minutes of Turbo Fire hit the 1000 mark for me today but when I've lost a further 60lbs... It'll be so so much lower.
  • dancing_cat
    dancing_cat Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Calories burnt is proportional to body weight because it takes more energy to move greater mass, so yes 1000 calories in a hour is possible.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I have a older polar hrm and an app on my phone with a gps to record distance and usually they are within 25 calories of each other and I burn jogging about 1.1 calories a minute but when I was closer to 300 pounds 1.5 calories a minute was not unusual so now it is about 660 an hour then closer to 900
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Where do you get an HRM?

I purchased my HRM on Amazon but you can try local running store, sporting good stores and Walmart/targets. Search for various forums on HRM models or read the reviews online. I did both and ordered the Polar FT4 last week Sunday. I have been using my HRM for 2 days and love it so far. MFP and gym equient have given me higher calories burned than I knew. Good reason not to eat back all your exercise calories if you don't have a HRM
  • hofficoffi
    hofficoffi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When I was bigger I was easily burning up to 900 cals an hour, now the weight is going down its alot less. So those high numbers could be for someone with a completely different weight than you. The closer I get to goal I know the numbers are going to keep going down and i'm going to have to work a hell of a lot harder to get high numbers.
    p.s. I have a very good HRM and I go by those numbers.......not MFP's estimations xxx
  • InnerPinup79
    Options
    I don't trust the estimates in MFP once my calories expended start to get over 500. I make it a point to not eat back all those calories.

The generic MFP numbers are not really any good. If you want accurate figures you should get yourself a polar (or other brand) heart rate monitor.

Agreed! It's a great tool to use to give you an idea but for me it was overestimating a lot. Especially since there were times I would work on the eliptical as hard as others but I still burned over 1000 cals in an hour when in reality after getting my hrm it was closer to 800
  • kriggs1976
    Options
    I just finished a 5.5k walk in 56 minutes and burned 620 calories. I'm sure if I made that a run it would be 1000. But, I'm also 6' and 300lbs (thought down from 352 just 2.5 months ago)

That is a very commendable weight loss!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    The folks who are Obese II and Obese III can generate a ton of energy.
    These are also the folks who can gain muscle mass while on a caloric deficit!

ATP BABY!!!!

If you fall in this category and are not lifting weights you are making a HUGE mistake!
  • fatgirlzrule2
    fatgirlzrule2 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    It"s the ONE benefit us larger people have....please don"t take that away from us!!!:laugh:

Serioously though, the bigger you are the more cals you burn per minute. I can burn 939 in my 45 minute Zumba class. Now if I walk for 45 minutes I would only burn 357. It all depends on what activity you are doing, your intensity, and what weight you are. I have seen as my weight has gone down (58.5 in 12 weeks) that my calories burned has decreased as well.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I'm always skeptical when I see someone burn over 1000 calories in an hour. I do a 60 minute Zumba class and can hit 500 calories staying in the upper end of my heart rate for pretty much the entire time (I wear an HRM) I'm dripping and exhausted afterwards. I consider my self in OK shape. I workout 3-5 times a week - cardio and weights. Yea, I'm jealous! LOL! But is this really possible?

The two big factors that I am sure people have mentioned are weight and sex. When I weighted a lot more 265, I burn a LOT more. Now I really have to work to get big burns. Also, as a male I simply burn more because of what sex I am.
  • 123fizz
    Options
    it all depends on the persons weight, the more you have to lose the more your body burns, which is why larger people need more calories. here is a good website I got from another member, it tells you how many calories you have used depending on your weight x
    http://www.zumbacalories.com/
  • LastSixtySix
    LastSixtySix Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Not so difficult to realize it IF you believe that calories equal fuel. Think about transportation - an F250 truck versus a Focus (large vehicle vs a small vehicle). Which uses more fuel (gasoline) consistently? You betcha!

I'm 208 pounds and am dripping wet when I finish one hour and occassionally burn 1000. I just got a new HRM and it gives me the same numbers so I know this is correct. The only downside to getting smaller is that I burn less calories with the same effort - but I'll take it!

For instance, when I started this journey up over 240 pounds, I burned 632 cals an hour on the stairmaster. Now, at 206, I burn 590 an hour.

-Debra
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm always skeptical when I see someone burn over 1000 calories in an hour. I do a 60 minute Zumba class and can hit 500 calories staying in the upper end of my heart rate for pretty much the entire time (I wear an HRM) I'm dripping and exhausted afterwards. I consider my self in OK shape. I workout 3-5 times a week - cardio and weights. Yea, I'm jealous! LOL! But is this really possible?

The two big factors that I am sure people have mentioned are weight and sex. When I weighted a lot more 265, I burn a LOT more. Now I really have to work to get big burns. Also, as a male I simply burn more because of what sex I am.

You had me all excited for a moment when you said burn calories and SEX but you meant gender...ugh guess I'll stay with my current workout schedule :ohwell:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    yep being large helps. 6'3, male, 315 lbs. I hit 900-1000+ calories on average with 1hr. of Zumba. Since I am in much better shape now than when I started I do find I need to push myself to get my heart rate up and achieve those numbers in 1 hr.
    In the past when I was 400+ lbs. and just started, 1 hr. walking I'd break 1200-1400 calories burned. However now walking for 1hr. I will burn 500-600. I need to jog to get over the 1000 mark in 1 hr. usually uphill, in the snow....oh and both ways of course.
  • angela2084
    angela2084 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Why do you care? If someone is lying about it, they are only hurting themselves, and certainly not you.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options

You had me all excited for a moment when you said burn calories and SEX but you meant gender...ugh guess I'll stay with my current workout schedule :ohwell:

You can still burn calories while having sex...depending on the positions and intensity the average calories burned per half hour is 150 :) and if you add in some "push ups" and "squats" to your sex life you can burn even more :wink:
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Male, 6'0", 178 lbs. I burn a little over 1000 calories running 8 min miles for an hour.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    As others have said, larger people burn more.

This is because ( primarily ) energy expended (calories burned) = mass (weight) X distance. So the larger mass takes more energy to move the same distance as a smaller mass.
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    It's possible. People who weigh more burn more. The most amount of cals I can burn (at close to max heart rate) is about 8-8.5 cals a minute, so that is about 480-510 max for an hour, but if someone weighs more than me (I'm 110lbs), they can burn much much more... I wish I could burn more because I like to eat, LOL. But yes, it's entirely possible.
  • zeikiya989
    Options
    It just depends on the weight of those person i weigh 310 and i do the row machine at the gym, the other day, i burned 983 calories doing it for an hour at a medium pace, if i worked it harder i would have burned over 1000. If i were to run an hour for my weight id burn close to 1200.