Upping calorie intake with healthy choices. HELP!

Options
I have completely revamped my eating to a 1200 calorie a day lifestyle. I make healthier choices and most importantly, better portion sizes. I have now started exercising and want to eat back those calories. I am concerned making healthy choices. Is there any higher calorie, healthy foods that I should be adding?

Replies

• savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Avocado will add some calories to your meals and healthy fats too. :smile:

Nuts are a great way if you aren't that hungry to add some quality protein and calories to your diet as well.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    1200 calories will only make you a smaller version of a fat you...no offense.
    If you are 5'3" or taller you must eat more to lose weight properly!
    Thats fat loss not lean mass loss.
    Up cals to 1600-1800 and lose fat.
    1200 you lose lean mass and get skinny fat.
  • lublue
    lublue Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Could you make your diary open, so we can see what you're already eating?

For higher calorie stuff - houmous, beans + legumes, nuts, peanut or even better almond/hazelnut butter (no added salt and in moderation!!), wholewheat cereals and brown rice/quinoa etc. can't think of much else right now!
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch! Those are great suggestions! I already think of salsa as a food group, I will have to make some fresh guacamole!
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options

She also said she wanted to eat back her work out calories, so her net might be 1200 but she will most likely take in 1600-1800 if shes getting a good burn.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Its not necessarily high calorie but adds good protein to your breakfast try greek yogurt I love Chobani the other brands I've tried are to bitter for me.
  • AReasor
    Options
    I opened up my diary, just know I don't always catalog diligently. On a day I may be cataloged 1000 calories, I also know I may have eaten a larger portion of almonds etc, but was too lazy to log. Also, I am 5ft. tall. If I am hungry, I eat.

So what I am saying is, constructive criticism only please.
  • AReasor
    Options
    Also, recovering from a 8 month long illness. I just started exercising. I am starting slowly, I got so weak.
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    I know this isn't exactly high calorie foods, but have you considered making up a box of fruit salad to keep in your fridge to snack on through-out the day? (or just adding fruits in with meals but I find a lot of meals I eat fruit doesn't go well with lol) I mean I can easily eat 200+ calories of fruit (like I said alone not high calorie but it's something that helps) just buy keeping a bowl of watermelon, strawberries, blueberries and grapes in the fridge to eat when I'm peckish.

Other then that the only high calorie foods that are coming to mind are peanut butter, nuts in general, some people like having air-popped popcorn, crackers (I like putting peanut butter and apple together on them lol).
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Nuts are an awesome snack. I eat a handful of almonds everyday.
  • AReasor
    Options
    What I am also seeing is that maybe I shouldn't be so concerned with going over on protein.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I think people have a problem with thinking "healthy" means low fat or low sugar. I've been eating 3000 calories a day for 4 months, and really it hasn't been hard (but I also eat my fair share of "treats" too).

Things to add:
    Red meat
    chicken w/ the skin on, dark meat
    whole eggs (a lot more nutrients than just the whites)
    1% to even Whole milk
    full fat cheese
    2% - whole yogurt (greek is great for protien)
    Fatty salad dressing (There are some in the salad section made w/ canola oil)
    Nuts
    fruit, bananas are 100+ each

Also, MFP sets your protien pretty low. You should be eating at least 1 gram for every pound of lean body mass, more than that is fine too.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Your answers are right in front of you in your food diary.

Each day, make sure you're getting adequate fat and protein, plus plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables. If you're lacking in any one of those departments, that's what you need to eat more of. If you're low on protein, eat more protein. If your low on fats, have peanut butter or avocado or cook with olive oil. If you need more fruit or veggies, have something plant-based.

Keep in mind that the protein goal on here is very low... only 15%. You can change that in the "goals" if you edit your settings with custom goals.
  • AReasor
    Options
    Thank you, that is amazing advice. I really and truly want to do this in a healthy, non-fad-dieting way. Before my illness, I was eating donuts, half a pizza, beer, beer, beer, soda, huge portion dinners, ice cream, and beer. Also, totally not exercising, coasting on metabolism. I was skinny fat in my 20's and it wasn't pretty.

The way I am eating now is a good start at healthy. Its a journey and I have a ways to go. :)
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options

^^ this! Lift weights and eat more. You'll torch fat and gain lean muscle mass.
  • lauehorn
    lauehorn Posts: 183
    Options
    Thank you, that is amazing advice. I really and truly want to do this in a healthy, non-fad-dieting way. Before my illness, I was eating donuts, half a pizza, beer, beer, beer, soda, huge portion dinners, ice cream, and beer. Also, totally not exercising, coasting on metabolism. I was skinny fat in my 20's and it wasn't pretty.

The way I am eating now is a good start at healthy. Its a journey and I have a ways to go. :)

Eat whole foods as much as possible. Cut out as many processed foods as you can. If it comes in a package, has more than 5 ingredients or has ingredients you can pronounce, don't eat it. Eat lean meats and fish, whole veggies, fruits, greek yogurt, and healthy fats (nuts, avocados, etc). Add weight lifting or resistance training a few days per week.