Breakfast---Healthy and filling?

Options
sjschewlakow
sjschewlakow Posts: 120 Member
I ma looking for recipes for breakfast that are healthy and filling. I have been eating eggs nearly everyday with a day of cereal here and there. I need variety...Thanks!

Replies

• gettinhealthy0916
    Options
    Hello there, I love to eat the Thomas Light multi-grain english muffins with some almond butter or peanut butter on it. Its super filling and has lots of fiber and best of all, it tastes Yummy! Add some fresh fruit and you have a well balanced breakfast :) Hope this helps!!!
  • v2embee
    v2embee Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oats with almond milk and a banana? You could actually turn this into a smoothie if you cooked your oats the night before and chilled it in the fridge for the morning of. Just add in a bit of yoghurt, ice and almond milk for your desired consistency. Even a dab of peanut butter would be lovely in it. :9
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I make my own granola, which tastes great and is filling!
    150 g oats
    100 grams each of different nuts - I use, chopped almonds and walnuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds
    Some flaxseeds - ground or whole - if you want
    cinamon and nutmeg to taste
    a little bit of sweetener (2tbs) - I use pommagranate mollassas, but you could use maple or agave syrup

Toast in the oven, I think 180 C, for about 45 mins, but check and stir every 10-15 mins to cook evenly and prevent burning on the top.

Then then makes loads of granola, which is way cheaper than store bought. Every day I have about 35g (which is just shy of 200 calories) with some fat free yoghurt and fruit (pommagranate seeds or berries) and maybe some extra cereal like cherrios or fruit and fiber, or add it to oatmeal.

I love it!

PS - store it in the fridge.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I looove breakfast, hands down the best meal, especially with a good cup of coffee! I tend to rely on eggs but I've been trying to branch out and always include fruits or vegetables somewhere in the meal. Here are a few of my favorite breakfasts:
    -Plain or vanilla fat free yogurt (greek or regular) mixed with fresh berries and almonds. So good! I actually eat this for lunch a lot at school because it is easy to throw in my back pack at 6 am.
    -Plain oatmeal with blueberries, a teaspoon or two of agave nectar, a splash of milk/soy milk and a veggie sausage on the side for added protein.
    -Open face egg sandwich--so one piece of whole grain bread, one fried egg, and I either use a half ounce of cheddar melted over the egg, some reduced fat cream cheese or a 1/4 of an avocado mashed on the bread. I love to serve any of these egg combos with a few sliced of tomato sprinkled with salt and pepper.
    -I haven't tried this yet but I'm planning to whip up at batch of whole wheat waffles using egg beaters and yogurt instead of a lot of oil and maybe some hemp seeds for extra protein. I'll freeze the waffles then eat them throughout the week for either breakfast or a pre-gym snack after classes.
  • smbyrd13
    smbyrd13 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    If you go to the skinnytaste website, she has a GREAT recipe for Whole Wheat pancakes that are very filling, have quite a bit of protein, and a lot of fiber! I make a batch on the weekend, place them in freezer bags, and then microwave them each morning for a quick, easy, and filling breakfast.
  • Mi2sc
    Mi2sc Posts: 29
    Options
    If you go to the skinnytaste website, she has a GREAT recipe for Whole Wheat pancakes that are very filling, have quite a bit of protein, and a lot of fiber! I make a batch on the weekend, place them in freezer bags, and then microwave them each morning for a quick, easy, and filling breakfast.

^this but make the crockpot applesause from the same site and mix it in the batter before you cook them!
  • sharonhite2012
    sharonhite2012 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    2 eggo nutrigrain whole wheat waffles with a 1/2 serving of blueberries ( heated) with 1/4 cup sugar free syrup 180 calories..:bigsmile:
  • LaurenMichelle004
    LaurenMichelle004 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

^this but make the crockpot applesause from the same site and mix it in the batter before you cook them!

I actually make the skinnytaste apple butter (but use truvia instead of sugar) and then eat it over cottage cheese. Sooo good. I love her recipes!

Also, I know you said you've been eating a lot of eggs... I do too, but try to make different variations... egg beaters with laughing cow for cheesy eggs, omelets using different fresh or frozen veggies & cheese with salsa (today I put green onions & spinach with feta... yum!).

Also in the spring/summer, I like to make green smoothies... throw a banana with some frozen veggies (like peaches/mangos) in a blender & add fresh spinach leaves with ice & water. Looks funny (bright green) but you can't really taste the spinach and really good for you!
  • dreamchaser12
    dreamchaser12 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I make a clean eating overnight crockpot oatmeal.

1c steel cut oats
    1c almond milk
    3 1/4c water
    1tsp vanilla extract or almond extract

spray crockpot
    add all ingredients
    cook on low for 8 hours

makes 4 - 1c servings

I use homemade applesauce that has cinnnamon in it to sweeten before eating.
  • Scootsk
    Scootsk Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    These pancakes are great. The recipe serves two, just halve or refridgerate cooked pancakes for reheating. According to MFP recipe nutrition calculator the breakdown is as follows:
    Cal: 277
    Carbs: 30
    Fat: 6
    Protein: 25
    Sodium: 585

I served it with fresh strawberries instead of syrup.

Makes 2 servings

Protein Pancakes (Body for Life)

Ingredients

1 cup oats - Old Fashioned Quaker
    6 egg whites
    1 cup cottage cheese, non fat
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
    1 pkt Splenda

Directions
    Combine all ingredients in a blender. Top w/ light maple syrup and berries.
  • orchidsand
    Options
    Homemade granola is the way to go. I make about the same as Aircirclel. I have a banana about 100g (I grow my own), either oatmeal or cherrios (about 1/2 cup), with whatever berries I have on hand. This morning I had strawberries, blackberries, & blueberries and top it off with unsweetened soy milk. I love this combination so much I have it every morning for breakfast. it easily stays will me until 1pm. I could eat it twice daily & be a happy camper.