exercise...

Options
Not sure if I understand the calories in and exercise ratio........ Should I eat all the extra calories after exercising or should I stick with 1200 calories and continue to exercise 1.5 -2 hours 4-5 days a week? Would protein be the choice of extra calories if exercising at a moderate pace?

Replies

• WarriorWomanMaxine
    WarriorWomanMaxine Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    bump i would like to know this also
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You should be eating the calories you burn also. Example: given 1200 calories a day+ burn 500 calories=1700 calories to comsume that day.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yup eat most of em- MFP calculates deficit before you exercise so you lose even if you don't workout, but the system is meant for you to eat those calories from additional activity.
  • Guardien
    Guardien Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    It's best to eat at least 25% of earned calories so your body doesn't think you're starving. Since you're working out (especially if you so any resistance exercise), yes, add some extra protein as well as a few extra carbs. This will help rebuild the muscle broken doen during exercise.
    Also, it's a good idea to have a "calorie spike" at least one a month, but no more than once a week. Despite differences in the amount of earned calories you may experience each day, you want to occasionally exceed your total calories (given+earned). Eating the same general number of calories each day will make your metabolism reset to that number disrupting your progress. Extra calories once in a while will keep your body guessing, which will help keep your weight loss in a higher gear.
    Best luck as you continue on your fitness journey!
  • pearceda
    pearceda Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You have to eat them back. I am targeting a pound a week in weight loss and at 207 lbs I need to net 1830 calories a day. If I exercise and burn 500 calories then I need to eat 2350 to maintain the 1830 net a day. You already have a factor built in to get to the weight loss goal. You will notice that if you go over your target a little you can actually be projected to lose weight. Some days I will net out at around 2000 and then when I hit the complete button it will still tell me I will weigh less in 5 weeks time. Hope this helps.
  • MustangCindy67
    MustangCindy67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks...all starting to sink in and make more sense...:)
  • MustangCindy67
    Options
    It's best to eat at least 25% of earned calories so your body doesn't think you're starving. Since you're working out (especially if you so any resistance exercise), yes, add some extra protein as well as a few extra carbs. This will help rebuild the muscle broken doen during exercise.
    Also, it's a good idea to have a "calorie spike" at least one a month, but no more than once a week. Despite differences in the amount of earned calories you may experience each day, you want to occasionally exceed your total calories (given+earned). Eating the same general number of calories each day will make your metabolism reset to that number disrupting your progress. Extra calories once in a while will keep your body guessing, which will help keep your weight loss in a higher gear.
    Best luck as you continue on your fitness journey!
  • MustangCindy67
    Options
    You should be eating the calories you burn also. Example: given 1200 calories a day+ burn 500 calories=1700 calories to comsume that day.