Plateau :( am in need of motivation & support

Options
Have been on a plateau for a week now and I just started doing this again. Am feeling discouraged...feels like the more I'm good the more a stay on this plateau... finished a first 5k in a year yesterday and ate back all but 98 of the calories...???

I have read the top 10 reasons you are not losing weight...none of them apply and It doesn't help with motivation :)

Replies

• amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    One week isn't considered a plateau. Most people will tell you that once you hit 4 weeks or so of no loss, THEN you are hitting a plateau.

Just be patient.
  • tophat1
    Options
    I come to expect a 1-2 week plateau every 4-6 weeks. I definitely retain fluid around my time of the month, and that accounts for 2-3 pounds. Suddenly, I'll experience a whoosh and will drop 5-6 almost overnight.

If it's more than that, try spiking your cals 1 day a week to see if it helps your metabolism.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Have been on a plateau for a week now and I just started doing this again. Am feeling discouraged...feels like the more I'm good the more a stay on this plateau... finished a first 5k in a year yesterday and ate back all but 98 of the calories...???

I have read the top 10 reasons you are not losing weight...none of them apply and It doesn't help with motivation :)

1 week is not plateau. Dont get discouraged. Make sure your entries at MFP are correct.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I've plateaued for 6 weeks at a time. The biggest thing is patience. I know that sounds trite, but a week isn't very long to be on one. I've gone through a couple of weight loss droughts and both times stuck with what I was doing for the most part, but changing up some routines and foods, and broke through.

If you're running 5k's, you're doing an awesome job! You know better than to give up because you'd just destroy all the good you've done and how awful would that be?? How about not eating back the exercise calories for a week? Or not exercising as much for a week?
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same boat, but i've been stuck for awhile longer. just keep up the hard work, don't get discouraged. experiment with exercise and diet changes. most importantly, DON'T STRESS YOURSELF OUT!!!!!!!! stress can make you retain weight.
  • Missrachelf
    Options
    I've been on a plateau for months. What helped. Eating more. Not junk or anything, but more fat (I was always low) and drinking more water. Good luck

3160457.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    One week does not a plateau make. Don't worry about it. Keep being consistent in your nutrition and exercise and you will reap the benefits.
  • slnewberry
    Options
    My Hubby actually tried increasing the number of times he ate to 6-7 times, all small meals, but maintained his calorie count. I have tried it and it works to kick start the metabolism. Sometimes the small change is just what you need to get you going.

Just remember, everything you do is helping you, whether you see steady results on the scale or not. Also remember that muscle is more than fat so as you build your muscle you may not lose as much weight as you hope you would.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of a plateau as well. Had one at the end of December that lasted 3 weeks as well. You can't get discouraged because of the plateau. Unfortunately, it happens, but, you just gotta press on.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I keep wanting to press like and remember I'm not on facebook. lol :laugh: