Do Push-ups work the core?

Options
I'm more or less at a weight I'm happy with now, I'm just working on toning...
If I did push-ups, would that help work my core (and eventually lead to toned abs/6 pack)?

If not, what is the best exercise to do at home for your core?

Replies

• tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    A push up is a moving Plank. Planks work the core. Planks work the core fantastically well. The little ab roller wheels to full extension more so.

Can you get a six pack just by doing push-ups? No. You currently have a six pack. You just gotta get rid of the fat covering it, and push ups aren't the best way to do that.
  • joannasaurusrex
    Options
    Planks! Front ones and side ones :)
  • bikinigirl71
    Options
    Push ups are the absolute perfect exercise for the body. And yes it works the core quite nicely.
  • booyatribe
    Options
    google shaun t and dr oz. there is a 12 minute workout that is great for the core.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/3-steps-getting-your-best-body-back. here is
  • Swaggerr
    Options
    A push up is a moving Plank. Planks work the core. Planks work the core fantastically well. The little ab roller wheels to full extension more so.

Can you get a six pack just by doing push-ups? No. You currently have a six pack. You just gotta get rid of the fat covering it, and push ups aren't the best way to do that.

I'm already slim (70kg at 5ft10, 22 on BMI) but I need to build on the muscle tissue in my stomach... at the moment I can't see a six pack
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    I don't know about push ups but this Pike Roll Out looks like it would work. Too bad I always topple over:grumble:

http://youtu.be/a6q7k_D6DGQ
  • A push up is a moving Plank. Planks work the core. Planks work the core fantastically well. The little ab roller wheels to full extension more so.

I'm already slim (70kg at 5ft10, 22 on BMI) but I need to build on the muscle tissue in my stomach... at the moment I can't see a six pack

Slim is good, but 154 pounds at 5'10 is kinda low, very low in weight, id definitely start looking towards building some muscle all around the frame instead of just abs. The real definition of CORE is not just the abdominals, thats only half the equation, there are more muscles along the spinal column that you have to condition.

Some of the major compound lifts help slap on some muscle quick, squats, deadlifts and bench press are the basic ones. You can also do cleans, power cleans, clean and jerk, and push presses to help even more. Nothing like lifting a heavy *kitten* weight off the ground like its nothing lol