Weight Gain even when I ate under the calorie level?!

Options
Hey guys,

During the past 6 months I've been using my fitness pal, sometimes I'll workout really hard, burn a lot calories, and then at the end of the day when I stay under my calorie goal; I wake up to find I've gained 2 pounds!!

Is this normal?? Can I actually gain 2 pounds in a night? I don't know what is happening, does someone??

Love,
A concerned college girl :)

Replies

• KennyPollard
    KennyPollard Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Find the same thing.. Kinda frustrating.
  • luvmypwds
    Options
    Water weight. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

During the past 6 months I've been using my fitness pal, sometimes I'll workout really hard, burn a lot calories, and then at the end of the day when I stay under my calorie goal; I wake up to find I've gained 2 pounds!!

Is this normal?? Can I actually gain 2 pounds in a night? I don't know what is happening, does someone??

Love,
    A concerned college girl :)

water weight, glycogen stores. Its insignificant.
    If weight loss is too slow, try increasing excercise, decreasing food intake. But only for short period of time.(2 weeks) or so
  • kayleenmcgrath
    kayleenmcgrath Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Could it possibly be you are gaining muscle? Muscle tissue does weigh more than fat. I don't know if you take measurements of like your waist, hips, arms, etc. but they are helpful :)
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When you work out hard your muscles swell. Just stretch and drink lots of water. No one gains 2 real pounds in one night unless you binged on Jack n the Box
  • anchoredhope
    Options
    Yah, thats what what I figured. It is frustrating, but I have to learn not to live by the scale sometimes. Thanks for the reasons!

<3
    Not so concerned anymore college girl :D
  • Coaster99
    Options
    Yes.
    You can gain a few pounds overnight, just stay on your goals. Go to the bathroom you could drop 1 pound.
    Track your calories, Carbs, Fat and Protein. The food you eat, with additives, chemicals etc can be bad for you.
    Good Luck!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary, but chances are you aren't eating enough. If you eat too far under your calorie goal you will stall your weight loss. But no one can help you properly if your diary can not be seen.
  • eashelton53
    eashelton53 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    When you work out hard your muscles swell. Just stretch and drink lots of water. No one gains 2 real pounds in one night unless you binged on Jack n the Box

Yeah this is true.

But forreal why Jack n the Box? We are getting them here in Indianapolis for the first time and I can't wait to see what they are about. Hope I don't go in there binge eating. :happy:
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    Find the same thing.. Kinda frustrating.

Log in more consistently. Your diary can be a very valuable tool!! Watch your sodium levels as well. It's great to go back and look at to see what was working and what wasn't!
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Google the article "Why the Scale Lies" and read it. You will learn all kinds of reasons why the scale and jump around over night... especially after working out like you are doing.
  • TanyaCurtis
    Options
    U need to up ur calories a little, then u'll start losing again!
  • melbellkid
    Options
    Very much possible especially if you have eaten something high in sodium. I try to stay away from it as much as possible, but I know if I have something with lots of sodium I can expect about +5 the next day.
  • JeSuisPrest
    Options
    U need to up ur calories a little, then u'll start losing again!

Hard to say when we can't see her diary. The 2 pound wight gain could also be TOM.
  • mister_universe
    mister_universe Posts: 6,664 Member
    Options
    A couple of possibilities are obvious. First, are you measuring your food? If not, pretty well everything is approximate...the exercise, the food, with all of it we do our best to "guesstimate" it right. Are you sure you know what a half cup of something looks like? A cup? Most people tend to give themselves too much when eyeballing.

Coupled with that, if you're eating back all of your exercise calories, you've introduced another approximation into the equation. The food is approximate, but so is the exercise. Did you really burn 500 calories doing X, or was it 350?

In other words, cut as much approximation out as you can if you want max results.

Gaining muscle doesn't happen that fast...sorry. Wish it did. :)
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Weight, especially for women, can fluctuate by several pounds day by day as a result of a lot of factors, most of which have been mentioned:

water rentention (either from working out or sodium intake)
    the weather (humidity) - this can also affect water retention
    TOM
    how much sleep you got the night before

So don't sweat it and just keep focused :)
  • AngelaHester
    AngelaHester Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Drink at least 8 glasses (8 oz each) of water, plus another glass for each 25 pound overweight you are, plus for each caffiene drink - match it with water.
    Then watch what is in your calories - high sodium, bromide, msg (read on web "other names for msg") .......all of these can cause water retention and lack of weight loss.
  • jackiejax1981
    jackiejax1981 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It is impossible to literally gain 1lb of FAT overnight (3500 calories). Weight gain could be a result of food, water, muscle.....weigh yourself in the morning once a week before you eat or drink anything. I used to be a scale *kitten* and it drove me nuts. LOL. I would be 162.4 in the AM and then 166.7 at night.
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you need to increase your caloric intake.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    A couple of possibilities are obvious. First, are you measuring your food? If not, pretty well everything is approximate...the exercise, the food, with all of it we do our best to "guesstimate" it right. Are you sure you know what a half cup of something looks like? A cup? Most people tend to give themselves too much when eyeballing.

Coupled with that, if you're eating back all of your exercise calories, you've introduced another approximation into the equation. The food is approximate, but so is the exercise. Did you really burn 500 calories doing X, or was it 350?

In other words, cut as much approximation out as you can if you want max results.

Gaining muscle doesn't happen that fast...sorry. Wish it did.

THIS^^^^^^^^ For best results be ACCURATE ,and give yourself the best chance. I weigh and or measure everything, and i wear a HRM for a more accurate calorie burn count>