Best exercise for a flat stomach?

Options
Hi, I do at least 3 sessions a week at the gym - one 45mins weight session with lunges/squats/upper body stuff and then 2 classes - a conditioning class and either spin or body attack. On weekends I try and do a fitness dvd to keep things ticking over. I'm seeing progress on the sides of my stomach thinning out but I still have the muffin top (though it is smaller than it used to be!)

Does anyone have any tips on the best exercises to try? The only thing I'm really bad at is trying to use cardio machines like the treadmill as I get bored really easily. I'm eating roughly 1200-1500 calories a day and am 5ft 4 and 121lbs. Any help would be great!

Replies

• glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I know a million, but easiest and most effective to tell you is the bicycle, you can youtube how to do it..... but if you have an I-phone download an APP called JeFit This has 20 exercises with animation and instructions for each body part!!!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Cardio to reduce fat, crunches/sit-ups/abs machines to help shape up the muscle.
    Wow, at 5'4 and 121lbs, do you really need to restrict your calories so much? I'm 5/4 and only going for 135. You might be surprised at how much a little weight lifting would do for your entire body.
  • Mera_Mera
    Options
    The bicycle is the best exercise for the abs. It targets all/or most of the muscles that comprise the abdominals.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Cardio, cardio and more cardio and eating right.......you can't spot reduce......
  • Skyflier83
    Options
    Genius thanks. I'm willing to try anything and everything to make this work :smile:
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Topic: Best exercise for a flat stomach?

Diet
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, sista, my squish bugs me too. Muffin top is just fat. Can't spot reduce it. To lose fat, lift heavy. It burns more calories post workout. I rec New Rules of Lifting. Lots of us here do it.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Cardio to reduce fat, crunches/sit-ups/abs machines to help shape up the muscle.
    Wow, at 5'4 and 121lbs, do you really need to restrict your calories so much? I'm 5/4 and only going for 135. You might be surprised at how much a little weight lifting would do for your entire body.

Is 1200 to 1500 too restrictive? I am 5'3", started at 143 and been at 115 for the last several months. MFP has my maintenance calories at 1400.
  • Skyflier83
    Options
    Hi, in my weights session I really go for it - I've been working on upper body as I want to be able to do pull-ups and on my legs I'm squatting 45kgs... I basically want to be stronger, leaner, and all-round better! I have a protein bar after the session too to try and help my body recover.

I'm happier than I've been for a long time I just want the flat stomach to draw a line in the sand over all those unhealthy, unhappy years :happy:
  • busymomto5PA
    Options
    bump
  • Skyflier83
    Options

Is 1200 to 1500 too restrictive? I am 5'3", started at 143 and been at 115 for the last several months. MFP has my maintenance calories at 1400.

MFP told me that if I wanted to lose 1lb a week I should aim for 1200 a day but as I exercise regularly it tends to bump what I'm allowed a bit. That's really interesting though as my goal weight is 112lbs... how did you find losing the last bit?
  • hatravers
    hatravers Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    EATING CLEAN!
  • MsTaurus30
    Options
    Aerobics
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am also interested in this answer
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My belly has been the flattest when I'm doing yoga (at least 3-5 days a week) and on every exhale consciously sucking my lower belly in...think about squeezing belly button to your spine. it works! But I don't think you need to be doing yoga, you could be sitting at a desk and try to breathe this way and it could make a difference.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Fat over muscles requires losing weight.
    However, there is one exercise which is overlooked way too much, stomach vacuums. Abs consist of multiple layers of muscles, vacuums work on the most inner core and help to keep things "tight". Still won't do anything for fat, though.
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options

MFP told me that if I wanted to lose 1lb a week I should aim for 1200 a day but as I exercise regularly it tends to bump what I'm allowed a bit. That's really interesting though as my goal weight is 112lbs... how did you find losing the last bit?

My goal was 125. I went to maintenance at that point and lost another 10 pounds. Basically I lost the last 10 pounds while trying to MAINTAIN. I've been between 114 and 116 since November. I set my activity level for the winter to sedentary and continue to work out and eat back my exercise calories. My maintenance calories are 1400 (without exercise). When spring comes I will up my activity level (I am an avid gardener and very active Spring, Summer and Fall, less active in winter).
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Topic: Best exercise for a flat stomach?

Diet

THIS!!! I drop my BF% and dont do any cardio, just eat right!!!

I hit the gym but weights only
  • wannalosew82
    wannalosew82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The bicycle is the best exercise for the abs. It targets all/or most of the muscles that comprise the abdominals.

Do you mean Stationary bike or bicycle crunches?